SOS Pictures, Before or After you Shave

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by MrEE, Jan 16, 2020.

?

When so you take your SOD picture?

1. Night before

20.0%
  2. Right before

45.0%
  3. During

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Right after

25.0%
  5. Later

20.0%
  6. I have a library of pictures I use over and over

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

I always take my photo after I shave. Seems logical because I change my mind sometimes and use a different soap or AS.

Do you take your photo before or after and why?

Karl G, Tdmsu, brit and 1 other person like this.
  2. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

I know everyone is different, but I always take my shot after as I usually give a brief description (good or bad) regarding the shave especially if it's a new to me hardware or software.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Tdmsu and brit like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Usually right after my shave. But if I don't have time, it'll be later on.

Tdmsu and brit like this.
  4. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I take my pictures before my shave. I prefer to use natural light, so depending on the time of year I'll take them the evening before or take Monday through Friday pictures the Sunday before.
    At this time of year I leave for work before sunrise and return after sunset.

MrEE, Tdmsu and brit like this.
  5. FSword

FSword Member

Always before I shave. Afterwards the equipment has leftovers from the shave so it's not in the best condition to take a photo. Of course I clean everything thoroughly but this means dismantling the razor and leaving as is until it dries, put the brush on a shelf after cleaning the residuals etc. So I'm pretty busy with all these cleaning arrangements, not to mention that I'd have to wait for quite some time before taking a picture until they've all dried up.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  6. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

I almost always take my cell phone photo right before I shave, after I've gathered everything together. That way there's no last minute/second changes. I do enjoy some of the outdoor pics some people post and might give that a try. It's been a while since I've used my DSLR.

7. brit

brit in a box

i usually take the pics in the evening or when daylight is available.my morning time is very limited on weekdays so i post tomorrows shave on the sotd and then the results/pic on the 30dc the following morning.i rarely if ever change my mind on product/razor,they all shave the same/similar anyway..

MrEE, Tdmsu and jluc like this.
  8. MrEE

I never considered taking the pictures before I shaved. In fact I thought people were shaving and then taking their kit out to take pictures. I was jealous for all those people who have so much time on their hands. :)

Hodge, Tdmsu and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

i ,like some others don't like to do the pics when the gear is wet or blade loaded.i keep the tasks separate.the pics are part of my amatuer photography hobby as well..keeps it all fun and fresh..same with the razor collecting.

MrEE, Hodge and Tdmsu like this.
  10. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I usually make the photo right before I shave, but sometimes I'll do it the night before if I don't think I'll have time. I also take them after lathering for a chance of pace sometimes.

MrEE, Hodge, jluc and 1 other person like this.
  11. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Ive almost always taken photo’s before (usually the night before). Some times I’ll use a different razor from what Ive photograghed, usually related to shave quality IE. this thing isnt shaving as good as I wished and grab a faithful Schick :D

Tdmsu, MrEE and brit like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I actually plan my shaves a week at a time (M-S). I take the pictures usually one or two days before the week starts. Sometimes, I get a monkey wrench thrown in the works and I may have to retake a picture.

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    On the rare occasions I take a SOTD photo, I always do it before the shave. The brush looks better and I don't have to faff around with cleaning the razor to a sparkly shine.

14. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

I take the pic after the shave, after I’ve cleaned up, and after the tools have had a chance to dry a bit. Sometimes the next day.

- Ken

MrEE and brit like this.
  15. MrEE

Finally, a sane person who understands the natural order of things. :rofl:

Enrico and brit like this.
  16. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Afterwards. I usually only take photos for posts of shaves I wish to jabber about.

MrEE, jluc and brit like this.
  17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I generally take all my pictures on the Saturday or Sunday for upcoming week.

MrEE, brit and jluc like this.
  18. MrEE

Interesting! Seems I'm in the minority taking my picutes right after. I admit there are some great looking SOD pictures out there. If you don't mind planning ahead, it works.

Edison Carter, brit and clint64 like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

If I take pics; it's right after I finish shaving or I just won't be bothered with it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    brit likes this.
  20. ajc347

ajc347 Well-Known Member

I always used to take the pictures afterwards as that way I would get the best bloom out of a badger brush.

These days, as I now only use synthetic brushes, it’s far easier to do before a shave especially given that many synthetic knots look rather anaemic as they’re drying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk