Taming A Floppy Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Rev579, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I have a brush that is far too floppy. It is ~19mm but set at 60mm.

Not only do I like the handle, but I love how soft and comfortable this vintage brush is and would love to work out a solution.

[​IMG]

cliffb599 likes this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Use a small O ring at the base of the knot?

Rev579 and cliffb599 like this.
  3. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I gave that some thought, however the difference in actual loft and desired loft is 10mm-12mm.

4. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

You could sort of pinch the brush with your fingers when you hold it, it would change the effective loft and give the brush the illusion of more backbone.

PanChango likes this.
  5. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

That is what I had to do for the application, but when making the lather, it was less than optimal.

6. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

You could always try steaming the knot out of the handle and drilling 10-12mm deeper and reset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rev579 likes this.
  7. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

All of the above suggestions make sense. The only other thing you can do is to modify how you use the brush. Don't press and splay the brush so much and focus more on using the tips and being more gentle with it as you lather your face. I've had to do this with a new brush that I have found to be floppier than my other brushes. Admittedly it is a boar brush which has some decent backbone even when fully hydrated so I still get enough scrub from the tips even though I am not as vigorous as I am with my other brushes. Good luck.

Rev579 likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Hair gel? :p

Upon reflection, this may not be the optimal solution.

Rev579 likes this.