Micromatic Monday

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GAW9576, Dec 2, 2019.

1. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Nice single pass shave with very light cleanup this Micromatic Monday with the Gem micromatic bullet tip with guiding eye.

[​IMG]

Droo78, Ron R, Flintstone65 and 2 others like this.
  2. GAW9576

Will you be joining us today my friend.

3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I chose a straight instead, brother. That said, I love this and your Daily Double thread.

GAW9576 likes this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Ever-Ready 1912 (England) Razor
    Gem Stainless Blade
    Frank Shaving Badger Brush
    Proraso/Love My Skin Spearmint Soap
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel w/Rose
    Barbasol Brisk After Shave

Untitled.jpg

Droo78, Ron R, Flintstone65 and 3 others like this.
  5. Flintstone65

Flintstone65 Well-Known Member

I had a GEMonday with a new-to-me British Ever-Ready 1912 Bathroom Set (case not pictured -- trying to get some hard water staining off of it). Usually a brand new GEM SS PTFE blade can be on the harsh-side for me, but this razor and blade gave me a comfortable, effortless and inadvertent BBS shave....my face feels dolphin-smooth. I don't know what it is about these UK-made-US-razors, but I REALLY like them...no disrespect to my homeland, but they always seem to shave a touch better for me than the US counterpart (IMHO).

The soap was the Meissner Tremonia Dark Lime, which was lathered with a Yaqi 24mm 2-band badger in a Mysterious Space handle. I just realized that it was quite an international shave for me today: British-made razor, German-made soap, Chinese-made brush, and (I think) American-made GEM SS PTFE blade. With that I will say: Cheers, Tschüss, 再见, and Bye....for now!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Droo78, Ron R, jimjo1031 and 3 others like this.
  6. GAW9576

Very nice looking razor and case. I don't believe I've seen a case that color before.

jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I got lucky, I was the only bidder on the case. It's unique in that the blade banks are attached to the case and swivel up.

GAW9576 and Ron R like this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday Jan-13th-2020 - It is sure nice when a prior shave was so so and you pick up a Micromatic open comb and does the job with excellent results. I did a 3 pass shave this morning with the MMOC and it was stellar, I have gone from a 2 pass to a 3 pass lately with less pressure and getting lots of good shaves.(Thanks to my Oneblade Core because you need 3 passes to get a excellent shave!)

Razor: Gem MMOC - MFG 1932-41 variant MMOC I used- button less MFG 1930-32 variant usually just brass.
    Blade : Gem Pesonna SS PTFE (8)
    Soap : Razorock Santa Marie del Flore "Firenze"- Excellent lather properties & scent.
    Preshave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Brush : Yaqi Cashmire 24 mm synthetic with black marble handle.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 3. Even when it's -34 C or -30 F today
    Post shave: Alum + cold water rinse.
    Post shave : Avon "True Gent" with witch Hazel+ Avon "True Gent" aftershave balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + alum indicated no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG]
    MMMonday jan13-2020 (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Droo78, GAW9576, Flintstone65 and 2 others like this.
  9. Chuck Naill

Nice diversion today using the BMMOC with many shaves PTFE blade. As much as I enjoy that I've acquired the skill to use a straight, a center pull device is probably a better concept. Anyway, it is all good. :)

BMMOC
    Atomic Rocket brush
    VDH soap
    Sea Breeze and Aqua Velva

jimjo1031, brit and GAW9576 like this.
  10. GAW9576

I finally tried out the adapter screw a friend sent me. I like longer handles and the one that came with the Ever-ready 1914 is a reasonable length but it was fun to try something a little longer. The shave was great from the 1914 and the Shick Eversharp. And the lather was wonderful from the SHD two band badger and Mer Shavings fougere orange donkey's milk soap.

[​IMG]

jimjo1031, Droo78, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  11. Chuck Naill

Used the BMMOC with Atomic Rocket brush and VDH soap for a classic Micromatic shave. Pretty significant 48 hour growth didn’t have a chance.....lol!!

jimjo1031, Ron R and GAW9576 like this.
  12. GAW9576

I had a great shave this morning with the curved top squat head Gem using a 4th use Gem SS PTFE. Mer Shavings mysore sandalwood on SHD two band badger for a great lather. And a witch hazel After Shave splash.

[​IMG]

jimjo1031, Droo78 and Ron R like this.
  13. GAW9576

Good to see you here Chuck. Even though I know what a BMMOC looks like pictures are always welcome.

14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday for myself today, I really like this razor and it will deliver a DFS range most of the time. Winter is hard on my skin this time of the year with our river frozen solid (lost our humidity creator) in the month of Jan with temperatures in the the minus -20 to -30 degrees Celsius or -15 degrees F average with my indoor Humidity gauge reading 33-36. My skin is dry along with dryer tougher whiskers to shave IMO. But the Gem Micromatic Flying wing or MMBT or Guiding eye..... did it's job with one of the greatest Blades known to man.

Razor : Gem MicroMatic Flying wing or MMBT or MM guiding eye...- MFG 1947-50
    Blade: GEM Personna SS PTFE (9)
    Soap : Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandal wood (TOBS)(Very nice scent)
    Brush : Razorock Plissoft
    Pre-shave : Brush wash the face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
    Post shave: Proraso Red Sandal wood lotion with witch hazel + Nivea balm.
    Results :CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG]
    MMMonday Jan 20th-2020 (2).jpg
    Here some extra information for fellows who bought a used razor with no literature on proper use and some extra info I will post every once in a while on MMMonday.
    Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg E-R1924Instructions and Case (4).JPG blade_angle-se-de.gif Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg
    Have some Great shaves!

15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD Fri Jan 24 2020

Razor : Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf -Peerless 17 tooth variant-MFG 1945
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (10)
    Soap: Razorock Lavender -excellent post shave feel!
    Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm+
    Pre-shave: showered + a dollop of Clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
    Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG] Another great GEM shave.
    SOTD Fri Jan 24 -2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

16. GAW9576

I had an excellent shave today with my two newly made handles. One sporting a Gillette thin cap old type with. 3rd use Nacet blade and the other sporting a Gem Jr. Bar and a 5th use Gem SS PTFE. Tabac with a little lubriderm for added moisture whipped up beautifully on SHD two band badger. Finished things off with a splash of which hazel. The results are a very smooth irritation free shave.

[​IMG]

jimjo1031, Droo78 and Chuck Naill like this.
  17. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Today’s Shave

GEM MMOC (with bumps)
    GEM PTFE (2)

[​IMG]

18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday for myself today, I nailed this shave with my Gem Featherweight with a new Gem coated blade. This razor is such a joy with a new Gem blade and is excellent for breaking in a new Gem blade that is one of the sharpest smoothest blades MFG in the shaving world IMO. I figured I would have a close shave with a new blade but not a BBS. It can sometimes happen like some one mentioned when you are not aiming for dolphin skin smooth BBS shave.

Razor : Gem Featherweight(1oz) standard model-Mfg 1950-53
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (1)
    Soap: Santa Maria del Fiore "Firenze"- great soap to use if you like light tobacco, vanilla.....
    Brush : Razorock Plissoft 24 mm.
    Pre-shave: Shower+ brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
    Post shave: AVON "True Gent"cologne with witch Hazel- very nice tobacco ............+ Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG]
    MMMonday Jan27th 2020 (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

19. GAW9576

I had a very nice shave with the Gem Jr this morning. This was my first time using a Meijer branded SS blade. The dispenser box is marked AccuTec Blades. The shave was quite smooth. If these hold up well and are consistent it will be nice to buy blades locally. And of course Mer Shavings Fougere orange was wonderful on SHD two band badger.

[​IMG]

Droo78, Ron R and Chuck Naill like this.
  20. Chuck Naill

Love the handle you made, Greg. :)

GAW9576 likes this.