Upcoming Need for Stirling Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Michael_W, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

After replying to this thread last night. I shaved with Port Au Prince this morning.

I bought this puck a few years back. It was Stirlings limited 1st time release of it, if I remember correctly.

I was intrigued as I had just discovered Vetiver scents and wanted a vetiver shave soap in my rotation. I liked Rod's take on this vetiver and he said he sought out some special French clay to use for making this soap.

Since it's one of his older versions I can't seem to get a real thick lather from it. It's more of a thin pasty lather. But I always seem to get a great shave and have always liked Stirling's post shave feel.

I could understand if someone didn't care for it's scent. People seem to be that way about dirty vetiver scents. But I like it and have never smelled anything similar to it. Using the soap and Stirling's Vetiver witch hazel. I could smell wiffs of it up to a couple hours afterwards.

For me, it's a nice change of pace that I look forward to in my shaving rotation.

Edison Carter and Michael_W like this.
  2. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

If you had an early rendition of Port au Prince that came up short in the lathering dept., it makes me wonder if could have been made with beef tallow. Mine is mutton tallow and lathers awesome like all my other Stirling mutton tallow soaps.

I would be one of the ones who is not a vetiver fan. I got a sample of the vetiver witch hazel. It was using it that sensitized me. I think one time it was still hanging around the next morning. It is odd, I have some stuff containing it and I can't even tell. Others like P-au-Pr, it jumps out and ruins the other components for me.

Michael_W likes this.
  3. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

If you really like Scots Pine Sheep (a fantastic scent, btw) but feel like mixing things up, I'd second Latherin' Luddite's recommendation to try Ozark Mountain. Also very pine-y, but a brighter, less earthy version. I love them both.

My new favorite pine scent, however, is Christmas Eve--hands down--wear it any day of the year.

In fact, woke up to a foggy, wet, miserable morning. Decided to embrace it with a cold water shave, Christmas Eve soap, four drops of Frost Drops, and an AV Ice Sport splash. Could have walked away happy there, but added a small drop of Glacial Unscented shave balm, combined with an equal sized drop of Christmas Eve shave balm that the folks at Stirling were kind enough to include as a sample in my last order; took the time to tie an Eldredge knot in my tie, threw on a sports coat instead of the polar fleece jacket, and gave The Missus a hug and a kiss in bed before running out the door for work. Today, even I look good.

That's the kind of soap Christmas Eve is for me.

4. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Alrighty, I ended up getting the Autumn Glory shave oil, shave soap, post-shave balm, and aftershave splash. Now my collection of THAT scent is complete.

Lipripper60 likes this.
  5. Lipripper60

Lipripper60 Member

I have had all three and only Scots Pine was replaced. It is a true pine scent and not pinesol. Port a prince was too much lemon for me but I like Salters French Veriver so dirty vetivers are my favorite. Autumn Glory is pretty good but there is a piquant scent I don't enjoy enough to do it again. It truly does have the "fallen leaves" vibe though.

Michael_W likes this.
  6. I picked up Christmas Eve soap and splash when it launched last month and have absolutely loved the scent. Amazing pine mix combined with spices and Stirling soap performance is a winner that I will use long past the Christmas season.

7. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I just tried the Christmas Eve soap and I agree that you can use it all year round. It truly is a wonderful scent!

8. Lipripper60

Lipripper60 Member

Have owned all three. PaP is the only one I don't own now. Scots Pine Sheep is a favorite of mine and no, it does not smell like pinesol. It smells like Scots Pine. PaP was just ok but I a, a decided vetiver junky and I found my puck to be more lemon grass than vetiver. Surprised more have not weighed in on Autumn Glory as its a good one if you are looking for a scent that fits when summer starts to give way to colder weather.

9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I wonder how you might compare the Christmas Eve to Coniferous. Some Coniferous reviewers say they get a "Christmas tree" feel with it.

10. Trigger

Paul, I don't have Coniferous, so I can't compare. My guess is that Christmas Eve has sweet notes and Coniferous doesn't.

Michael_W and Paul Turner like this.
  11. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Pretty much. Christmas Eve contains some elements of Coniferous, but not the other way around. Both are great winter scents, but quite different.

Michael_W and Trigger like this.
  12. Trigger

I would use the CE scent all year round.

13. Paul Turner

Right....with Conif, you're dead smack in the forest. I just finished a Conif hand soap, that was Doc Ezlovan's freebie with the Gentleman& brush order.

Michael_W likes this.
  14. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

Christmas Eve has more in common with Ozark Mountain than with Coniferous. They both have the same pine aspect. Coniferous is more what I would call woodsy mossy. I like it, but prefer Scots Pine, Christmas. Eve, and Ozark Mountain . Christmas Eve is like a more complex christmassy version of Ozark mountain which in and of itself smells like a pine Christmas candle to begin with.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  15. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

What's going on at Stirling? New releases in 3.0 oz.
    [​IMG]

16. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Personally i think its smart. It takes too long to go through 4-6 oz of soap. Personally i think 3oz should be the largest and 2oz should be middle and 1oz should be smallest vendors offer. Bulk should be like 5oz.

SterFry, Frijolero and macaronus like this.
  17. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Seasonal scents. Those have always been 3oz. Regular scents are still available in 5.8oz.

ischiapp likes this.
  18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Still waiting on the return of Bonaparte...:pri:

FatherofSquirrel and Trigger like this.
  19. Trigger

I am waiting on the return of Stirling Spice.

20. Paul Turner

Stoylin has moved to Paris.....................Arkansas, not France.

FatherofSquirrel likes this.