January 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2019.

?

What year did you join our happy band of shavers?

1. 2015 - CHARTER MEMBER - I was here the day we began!

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. 2015 - February or later

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. 2016

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. 2017

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. 2018

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. 2019

17 vote(s)
    30.4%
  7. I'm brand new in 2020

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  8. I don't remember. I've inhaled too much shaving soap for my brain to function.

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. Not sure but it's been longer than a day

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  10. So we still get cookies, right? And ice cream? I heard rumors.

16 vote(s)
    28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

well I am glad I know that now. Thank You

brit, 9nein9, jgreenepa and 5 others like this.
  2. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Jan 20th
    Menthol Monday
    Hot Lather Shave

Razor: PAL Adjustable
    Blade: Schick Injector Plus Chromium
    Brush: DSCosmetic Galaxy 26mm Silvertip
    SS: Derby Menthol
    AS: Osage Rub

I have the day off work and my wife decided to spend a second night at her parents. So it's been a very lazy morning for me. Decided to shave with inspiration from this morning's 30DC conversion. This means hot, menthol, readily available, and a single edge injector.

First let me say that Derby isn't that great as a hot lather. It was pasty and sticky at first and when I added water it just became a runny goo. I'm sure I could have worked at it but I just moved on with a somewhat runny lather.

I do recommend using badger with hot lather. It held the heat much more effectively.

This was my first shave ever with a schick style injector. It required a few adjustments but I think I did okay. The PAL seemed nice enough, just different. The goal was to try something new so mission accomplished. I'll go for BBS with the PAL on some future date.

I bought Osage Rub because it was cheap and Jim @Norcalnewb mentioned it a while back. I don't even remember what he said about it, but that's all it takes to enable me at times, at least when the price is low. I really like it. Pure menthol kick without the filler. Not as potential as Cryogen but still a menthol punch in the face. Quite refreshing.

I enjoyed my late morning shave. My face feels good and the shave is socially acceptable.

PSX_20200120_122433.jpg
    Used the same RGB filter as yesterday.

3. myles wilson

nice brush!

brit, 9nein9, timabababaluka and 5 others like this.
  4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Excellent post and shave Evan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit, 9nein9, timabababaluka and 4 others like this.
  5. myles wilson

tomorrow's shave gonna get up a little early before school and try it out
    1956 Gillete blue tip with Astra SP DE Blade
    vintage old spice shave soap
    Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum

an interesting merge of vanilla spiciness from the old spice and the warm sweet booziness from the bay rum. Perfect for a cold day
    IMG_20200120_150849.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  6. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great picture, Evan. I've never tried any hotter than hot tap water in my scuttle and even at that some soaps react differently. Interesting how much they change at higher temps.

brit, Keithmax, 9nein9 and 6 others like this.
  7. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Sounds like a nice combo, Myles!

8. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Great shave, pic and report, Jason.

I'd probably still be shaving with Palmolive shave sticks if they were more readily available here--a fantastic performer with a great price! By the time I get them shipped to me, however, they are about as much as some of the bang-for-your-buck artisans (who offer a larger variety of scents). Still, I went for a solid year or so with Palmolive as a daily driver, and counted myself lucky (that it didn't smell like Arko ;)).

Btw, I've followed your example and have been using my Thayers witch-hazel after I wash my face. I'm liking the results--will continue to do so even after I kill the bottle.

Edison Carter, brit, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  9. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Looks awesome Myles! I'm sure it will be enjoyable.

brit, 9nein9, timabababaluka and 6 others like this.
  10. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Thanks, Tim!
    Connaught Shaving from the UK is very reasonable. I can get 6 sticks of Palmolive for $15 CDN (about $12USD) delivered.
    Before Clubman took a great deal of my ribbing on here, Arko was my #1 target. I believe I posted a picture of a urinal puck once and asked what the difference was...
    I'm not sure I pointed this out, but I use the non-Alcohol version of Thayers, not the Astringent. I also will spritz some on after most showers, even if I'm not shaving.

11. myles wilson

thank you!

brit, 9nein9, jgreenepa and 4 others like this.
  12. timabababaluka

Day off today, so took a nice, leisurely, menthol-y shave this morning:
    • Flare Tip w/Personna Blue blade (1)
    • Shave Secret as preshave
    • Texas on Fire
    • Clubman Original AS
    • Frost Drops
    To keep things cool, I thought I'd try something new with my Frost Drops (FD): applied a single drop with my face wash and a cool water rinse--it was a nice start! Applied the preshave oil and lathered up the ToF. I've lately returned to palm lathering my soap; it seems to keep me more connected to what's going on with my soap, and the scent stays with me a lot longer. Plus, the enormous collapsible bowl I have with the equally enormous paddles on the bottom tend to "air up" my lather if I'm not being diligent.

In keeping with my earlier FD experiments, I opted to add a single drop to my lather before applying for each pass rather than add 5 or 6 at the very beginning. I'm pretty pleased with the results. I'm feeling the cool a lot more than usual, and am using less drops to do it.

Did a very quick 3 pass shave (WTG, XTG left to right, and XTG right to left) that, surprisingly left me with a DFS. No drama (my favorite 2 words when evaluating a shave) ;)

jan 20.jpeg

Good rest of the day to you all! :D

13. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Interesting thoughts on the scuttle tests, Evan.
    Interesting that the PAL is your first Injector. I don't own that PAL adjustable (had the Injectomatic, but that is a different beast entirely) but I think you would do very well to pick up a cheap later E or any G model Schick. They are readily available and are easy, solid little shavers.
    Fwiw, my understanding is that the modern Supply SE is based on the non-adjustable version of that razor you have- branded Personna.

Edison Carter, brit, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  14. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Nice shave, Tim!
    I have a small bottle of menthol and a bottle of synthetic menthol that I haven't experimented with yet. I'll keep your technique in mind.

BTW, it was me that uses witch hazel after washing my face before bed. The witch hazel I use after my shave has alcohol in it and the nighttime one doesn't.

15. timabababaluka

2.5 pass BBS shave with a shavette--excellent! I'll get there one day.

Corner of the mouth is usually where I get blood or irritation. Hair grows in multiple directions for me there, and I've got lots of little bumps. It's also the place that I can most easily tell isn't smooth, so I have a tendency to worry that spot to the point of weepers or irritation.

I. Love. Glastonbury. Seriously distraught when they announced its end. I opted to break up quickly rather than grab a couple pucks and prolong the parting. If they'd have kept it in production, I'd still be shaving with it.

16. timabababaluka

All I needed to hear, Jeff. As I'm about 3 weeks away from bottoming out on my Wal-Mart Noxema knock-off that I've been using as a face wash, I think I'll be bringing the Cube into my den ;)

Edison Carter, brit, 9nein9 and 5 others like this.
  17. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Super SAS, Jeff!

brit, PLAla, 9nein9 and 6 others like this.
  18. timabababaluka

Fantastic report and photo, Blair! You've got some awesome gear there :D

Really impressed with that scent profile too. I've come to enjoy tobacco scents more and more--even if The Missus doesn't--and that one sounds like a winner ;)

Edison Carter, brit, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  19. Trigger

:cool:

brit, PLAla, 9nein9 and 5 others like this.
  20. Trigger

Thanks, Tim! In the beginning, I didn't care for it, but I have grown to like it. Yes, it is a shame that they discontinued it. Although I like the scent, I am not sure that I would buy it again, if it was brought back.

Edison Carter, brit, PLAla and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.