January 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2019.

?

What year did you join our happy band of shavers?

1. 2015 - CHARTER MEMBER - I was here the day we began!

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. 2015 - February or later

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. 2016

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. 2017

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. 2018

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. 2019

17 vote(s)
    30.4%
  7. I'm brand new in 2020

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  8. I don't remember. I've inhaled too much shaving soap for my brain to function.

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. Not sure but it's been longer than a day

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  10. So we still get cookies, right? And ice cream? I heard rumors.

16 vote(s)
    28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Excellent report, Jim! I don't have a trained nose but I'll try to pick up the scents you mention as I have Malbolge up for tomorrow.
    Great almost excellent shave, Paul!
    Awesome, Gary!

2. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

jan2320.jpg
    Jan 23

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - PS - Tube 2.0, ASB - Star Jelly
    Wholly Kaw SS - King of Oud
    @jtspartan BRM w/TGN 28mm Silvertip
    Bolzano SuperInox (2)
    Rex Ambassador (6)
    Art of Shaving - Oud Suede Cologne Intense

Great shave this morning! Saw @Terry 's post of 'I Feel Good' as I'm making coffee...and thought, yeah, that's a perfect song to start off the day! Still going strong with Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements ceramic shaving scuttle.....180 degree water inside, hot tap water for the bowl, Jason's BRM warming up....finished a warm shower scrubbing in with PAA's Tube 2.0 PS, and off to load WK King of Oud SS for 30-40 seconds. In the scuttle, the soap was a little bubbly with great volume. Face lathering was nice and warm, quite slick...but slightly thin & transparent compared to other soaps so far (PAA, Stirling, ToBS)....I may have had a bit much water. First pass had the RA set on 4.5, still very smooth and slick removal despite the lather appearance. Plenty of blade feel and exposure. Loaded a little more soap for the second pass.....still same lather appearance, so I guess that's just WK's older base and how it looks/works when 'hot'. Kept the RA at 4.5 for the second pass, DFS+ quite easily. Wanted to use the adjustability of the RA....on with the chase, another face lather, set the RA on 1. At that setting, barely feel the blade at all....only a small tug as it finds something to remove. I also played with pressure (not recommended) to see just how 'safe' this setting felt. I was quite amazed at the amount of pressure I was able to use, still with zero irritation, even ATG on the always difficult lower right jawline/neck. More self research needed with the RA, but I may have found my perfect DE/Blade combo. Finished off with a warm water rinse, PAA's Star Jelly, and the Art of Shaving's Oud Suede. BBS smooth, no nicks or shenanigans, and ' I Feel Good'!

Quick note on Wednesday's Jan 22nd shave:

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - PS - Tube 2.0, ASB - Star Jelly
    Stirling SS & AS - Barbershop
    @jtspartan BRM w/TGN 28mm Silvertip
    J3Customs Kamisori

First use w/Stirling's Barbershop. Purchased from an email blast, a 4 oz size SS on sale. Really nice lather in the hot scuttle, super slick and great face feel, awesome Barbershop example. Mix of scuttle and face lathering. 3 pass DFS+. Stirling's Barbershop AS is a little lean on longevity for me, faded by noon.

Hope everyone has a Terrific Thursday!

3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Gary!
    Have fun at prep day, Evan!

4. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great picture of a cool razor, Perry!
    Thanks!

5. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Wonderful shaves, pics and reports, Joseph and Blair!

jgreenepa, brit, Primotenore and 8 others like this.
  6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

1.jpg

7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Terrific picture of a great razor, Perry!

8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Terrific setup and picture, Joseph. I enjoy the sentiment as well that inexpensive products can often be high quality.

jgreenepa, brit, Primotenore and 7 others like this.
  9. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

10. PLAla

Thank you, Jim and Jim! The Lather Catcher is pretty neat and it shaves great.

11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Thanks Jim :). Mighta been very excellent had I not skimmed over that area of my right cheek.

12. Paul Turner

13. PLAla

Nice shaves, Blair! Interesting experience with Stirling Barbershop's longevity. I had the soap and splash and did an exclusive month with both of those in October 2016. There was an element in the splash that I didn't care for much, something sweet almost like caramel. I ended up selling both products. But, the splash lasted forever on me. SWMBO didn't care for it either which helped speed along the selling process.

14. Paul Turner

Did you find the same element in the soap?

15. PLAla

Yes, but it was more pronounced in the splash. I didn't mind the soap and would use it again since it's high quality Stirling, but I would use a different aftershave.

16. Paul Turner

That's what I did from the beginning.....used Clubman Original with the Stoylin soap(doing the same thing along with the Central Texas Soaps Grandpa's Barbershop).

17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Good morning, Jim. I took a few days off, but it is great to be back! We're having a blast in Florida. We just sent some friends home and more are arriving today. We spoke to our arriving friends last night, and the Better Half declared she was having shrimp every day. I think she'll be in good company with my Bride. Thanks to @PLAla, we've even enjoyed a few nice spots in Mobile.

I hope everyone is doing well. I'm planning to jump back into the thread for awhile starting today.

I've been tempted to pull the trigger on this one today. (In other words, I enable myself when I don't have this bunch to pick on. :)) It's a classic that has recently been discontinued. Some good deals on new in box models are available on the bay, and I have a 10% off coupon that expires tomorrow.

18. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

So good to hear you and Kathy are enjoying your time in Florida!

Better grab that watch before the coupon expires. That SARB is such a versatile watch. I'm happy to have mine.

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Joe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgreenepa, brit, Trigger and 5 others like this.
  20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim. The commute was unusually bad this morning but I have no idea why. Just people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgreenepa, brit, Trigger and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.