I.F. (intermittent fasting)

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Jan 5, 2020.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Been doing 16/8 for four days...got lazy and let me eating go bad for way too long. Coupling it with low carb. Keto headache on day 2 but feel fine now. Had a careful lunch at the Chinese buffet; blood sugar afterward reads 110 so that's good.

Anyone else dieting?

2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Best wishes on your new eating plan!

I'm not sure if you call it diet or lifestyle...but I try to stay between 2000 and 2300 net calories per day with 3 balanced meals. When my weight goes above my target of 200 lbs, I cut back closer to 2000 calories until I drop back. I've been at or close to my target weight since last summer and have been watching my diet/exercise program for about 18 months.

I've always struggled with good judgment when it comes to eating. A key thing for me is portion size. I use a food scale at nearly every meal to keep myself honest, and I log ~90% of what I eat.

Although I sometimes eat and enjoy what I want, I try to avoid too many carbs and sweets on average. I have also cut back drastically on dairy. I've learned to like more salads and fruits, select more protein and nutrient-rich foods, and I'll opt for the stairs more often. All pretty basic stuff, but it works for me.

And then there's the self-talk. Every time I want to eat stupidly, I try to remember that I now...feel much better, my knees and back hurt less, have stopped snoring and sleep better, and I can now rise out of a chair without crane assistance. As I get older, all this stuff seems more attractive to me than another 3 dips of ice cream. :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yes. I haven't eaten anything since breakfast. But it's almost lunchtime, so... *shrug*

Anytime I got about 20-40 lbs. overweight, I'd make a big batch of diet Zuppa Toscana and drop about 5 lbs. a week. You can pretty much use any copycat recipe. Substitute fat free half and half for the heavy cream and italian turkey sausage for the italian sausage. Eat as much bread and butter with it as you want... Still lost weight.

I'm a fairly active person so YMMV.

178-bplatoon, brit and gorgo2 like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Something I'd forgotten but the past few days has reminded me...there is a BIG difference between appetite and hunger. Hunger is physical; it's the one we should heed but it gets drowned out by appetite when your blood sugar is up and down, making you want to eat more than you actually need to.

I.F. is so much easier (for me) when I'm on low carb...appetite is muted so I can hear hunger again.

178-bplatoon, brit and wristwatchb like this.
  5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

My GF has lost 70lb on keto. I mostly follow the diet with her, but take a couple breaks during the week for a cheeseburger. I lost a few pounds but have maintained the weight loss by not eating between 14:00 and 08:00.

gorgo2 likes this.
  6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I do IF when I think about it and it definitely does work. My problem is I like meat, rice, bread and brown gravy and just eating in general. In my entire life I've never ever eaten a salad or any kind of greens and very, very few vegetables, so replacement doesn't work. As for sugar I'm diabetic so that answers that question. I like sugar with my sugar. :)
    I do try not to eat after 7-8 at night and control my portions, much easier for me to not eat in the morning.
    Oh well you have to die of something. :happy088:

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Down almost 3 pounds and 2 inches off the gut in 5 days. I know it's mostly water weight but that's how it starts.

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I would starve to death if I didn't eat late at night.

...but I work graveyard shift, so my circadian rhythms are probably just a bit different than the non-vampire population.

gorgo2 likes this.
  9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I've done 16/8 fasting with good results except that it tends to interfere with my workout schedule. I've recently switched to 14/10 fasting (basically not eating after 6pm with my schedule) and that is giving me equally good results. My main downfalls seem to be the after dinner snacking and too many carbs in general.

For me, the biggest hurdle when trying fasting is overcoming the old mentality of "you should eat every 3 -4 hours" and of course, the physical feelings of (largely imagined) hunger.

Keithmax, gorgo2 and wristwatchb like this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I completed a Penguin fast last week, and the doc said my blood grease returned to normal. ;)

BigMike and gorgo2 like this.
  11. richgem

So, that pallet of Lipitor that you ordered from us arrived on time?

gorgo2 likes this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Tested glucose response to my handy low carb go-to, steel cut oats. Still minimal.

wristwatchb likes this.
  13. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

You guys are making me feel unhealthy. I had six glazed doughnuts for breakfast.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

14. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

When I'm cutting in the spring/summer my preference is 1 massive meal every 1-2 days. The rest of the time I drink water with some potassium and salt*. No caffeine.

*look up "snake diet" for more info

15. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

you should try fasted workouts if you haven't :)

16. richgem

Been there done that can't do it. And the research is now saying that the benefit to training in a fasted state is insignificant and may not exist at all. Not passing judgment but just saying that it may just be a bunch of hype in terms of benefit. Time and further research of course will tell.

17. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

I've lost close to 50lbs doing Keto. Easiest diet I have ever followed. I only get hungry in the late afternoon. Being in ketosis feels awesome. There's a euphoria that lasts all day.

I did notice most people try to eat the same foods they are use to just cutting out carbs. That doesn't work for me. If I just eat salads and fish I feel deprived and end up cheating. However if I eat oils, nuts, avocados, and other high fat foods I feel satisfied and actually eat a lot less.

Keithmax and gorgo2 like this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Going off the wagon today, on purpose. The youngest and I are going to a local German deli with a legendary reputation. I'm in the mood for a Reuben and there ain't no gluten-free option for one that's worth eating.

richgem likes this.
  19. richgem

What's the point if you can't/won't cheat once in a while? Enjoy!

gorgo2 likes this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

True, true!

We just got back. The Reuben was pretty good, but their bread is what makes it. Excellent rye. They may bake it themselves but I don't think I've had better. Oldest daughter got a tuna salad which was meh. Youngest a turkey sammich.

richgem likes this.