My "First" DE Shave in 40 Years! "And" Beyond! Discoveries during the journey!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by S Barnhardt, Jan 21, 2020.

1. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Today I bit the bullet and dove into DE shaving for the first time in close to 40 years.

WOW, what a beard with no shave in 40 years, you might say. But no, that was not the case. Job constraints over the years have required clean, close shaves, but they’ve been either with an electric razor, “El Cheapo” throw-aways, or more recently subscription (Harry’s) razor and blade cartridges.

So today, after laying in a supply of styptic products, I dove into my first stab at DE shaving. I used a Voskhod, part of a PIF from @jluc who had very generously sent me a nice assortment of blades to try in my recently acquired Slim/DE. Along with Proraso green and an Omega 48 brush, I lathered in a wooden bowl and gave it 3 passes, one with, one across, and one against. Finished that with a warm, wet cloth cleanup, a cold water splash, and some Clubman Special Reserve. All in all, not a bad shave for the first DE in 40 years. Not quite as near BBS as I’ve been getting close to with my Harry’s, but not bad either. And that’s not all, by golly!! I didn’t have to use “any” styptic” products. Wonder of wonders! Time to buy lottery tickets.

Thanks to everyone who has so graciously offered advice, comments, etc. And once again @jluc , thanks for the PIF of blades. I have to admit, the thought of a tad of vodka crossed my mind with that Voskhod, LOL!

first shave w de slim 1.jpg

My styptic arsenal

haul 1 mid january 2020.jpg

2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Congrats! Great first DE shave!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Robyflexx and S Barnhardt like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That's a lot of styptic.

4. S Barnhardt

:happy088:
    It is! You got me on that!!
    I'd gone through Amazon looking for possible styptic products, putting them on a private shopping list, figuring I could narrow it down before I ordered. I only had experience with styptic pencils and never was crazy about them and really wanted something different. So I bought them all, figuring I'd find one I preferred. Wasn't a lot of cost for the whole kit and caboodle.

Figured I could put the unused excess to good use for something.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Here it is for Wednesday:

prep-Dove 4 Men Bodywash(Max. Moisture)in shower
    shave-The Soap Exchange(Lumberjack)
    brush-Stoylin Pro Handle Synth..26"
    razor-Gilllette Sensor Deuce Pivot DisposeABLE
    A.S.-Agadir Men Face&Body Splash(Oud Wood)

Terry and S Barnhardt like this.
  6. Linuxguile

Wrong thread?

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Paul Turner likes this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

congratulations on your first DE shave. It looks like you were preparing for a blood bath!

Linuxguile and S Barnhardt like this.
  8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

You're absolutely right, Andrew. Thanks for spotting that.

Linuxguile likes this.
  9. S Barnhardt

:shaver I suppose so! I'll decide on one and pass along the unused remainder.

Linuxguile likes this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Great post and congratulations!!

Linuxguile and S Barnhardt like this.
  11. Lipripper60

Lipripper60 Member

I think you cornered the stiptic market! Glad you got through it. Every day gets better.

S Barnhardt and Linuxguile like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave sir,congrats..

S Barnhardt and Linuxguile like this.
  13. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Awesome. Congrats.

I knew you would not need all that styptic.

I remember the feeling though.

brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  14. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Congratulations:)

brit and S Barnhardt like this.
  15. S Barnhardt

Today was my 2nd shave with my Slim with it set on 4. Three days since my last one with it. No other shave with any other razor either. Used the same Voskhod I used with the first shave. Everything else stayed the same as well.

Wondering how many shaves with a blade to reasonably expect? I'm figuring when the quality of the the shave declines, it's time!

"Maybe" a tad of irritation, but I have a tendency for a bit of dry skin, so I'm not sure. I hear people talk witch hazel and other "after" treatments, so I'm open to suggestions, should you have any.

All things considered, I'm pleased!

:shaver

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Linuxguile likes this.
  16. Linuxguile

Until you get some experience under your belt its best not to push a blade past 3 or 4 shaves. As a blade dulls we have the tendency to apply more pressure to compensate and that leads to cuts, nicks, razorburn, and irritation. You should be able to get witch hazel at your local pharmacy. Nivea aftershave balm is really good too and can be found at most groceries and pharmacies.

17. S Barnhardt

Are things like that "in addition to" or "in place of" an AS a person would normally use?

Linuxguile likes this.
  18. Linuxguile

It can be in additon to or in lieu of an AS. I find a splash of witch hazel incredibly refreshing after a shave, though it doesn't really smell great. If you apply the balm before your as you may find that it takes away much of the sting from the alcohol too.

Edison Carter and S Barnhardt like this.
  19. S Barnhardt

Thanks!

Linuxguile likes this.
  20. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Congratulations, and welcome! I've always shaved with DEs or electrics. Never used carts. They always looked kind of chintzy and I felt they were overpriced.

Edison Carter and S Barnhardt like this.