What is your favorite safety razor ( vintage and/or Modern)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by myles wilson, Jan 27, 2020.

1. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

love those British ones

MacDaDad, brit and jgreenepa like this.
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

DE - Mühle R41 2011 version or Joris

Artist Club - Cobra Classic

3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

You like the Silversmith that much? Interesting, I'll have to take a closer look

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

gorgo2 and jgreenepa like this.
  4. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Jeff:
    It’s a highly efficient shaver. If and when you move to Pa, I can loan it to you.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Keithmax, myles wilson and gorgo2 like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It's a fine list Gary but it's a top 10 list. Come on and pick just one

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I haven't seen (what I would consider) an obscure razor mentioned yet in this thread.

I'm not entirely sure if that speaks to some sort of vast depth to my knowledge, or a complete lack of knowledge on your part.

I suspect it's largely the former, rather than the latter.

I happen to agree with you that the Krona and early superspeeds are nice shavers. But it's also akin to visiting a motorcycle collector and asking him or her which is their favorite, and then being surprised when he/she says Vincent Black Shadow instead of a generic Honda or Harley-Davidson.

jtspartan, Keithmax, brit and 3 others like this.
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

The OP is a relatively new to the hobby. Like most of us probably were at one time, I suspect he's interested in hearing about favorable experiences related to owning and using different razors. Many of us have favorites for one reason or another, and it may or may not relate to how they perform. Mine is a Gillette NEW LC. It's a nice shaver, and I figure it was the kind of razor my Dad may have started using as a young guy. I think of him when I use mine. Mine was a given to me. I also think about the kind gent that sent it to me when I use it.

I don't pretend to know why someone else would favor a razor, but I always like knowing. In my opinion, theses "lists" carry meaning for some of us.

This is a discussion/enthusiast forum, correct?

8. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

+1.
    Well said, Charlie.

Ijustmissedthe50s, jluc, brit and 3 others like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    What other kinds of forums are there? You've piqued my curiosity.

efsk, twhite, brit and 3 others like this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I can't really think of any other types of forums. I come here to read, inform, discuss, and/or pass on topics as the mood strikes. I figure that's what most of us do here. I'm human (so I fail a lot), but I hope to do so in a way so as not to diminish another members's experience here.

11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It will be interesting to see if the blue tip remains a favorite shaver of yours a year from now. It's nice and mild, and makes a great "daily driver." Once the "new and shiny" of the hobby wears off, and you go for several days without shaving, the blue tip starts to show its shortcomings. It doesn't deal well with several days of hair growth.

As you can see from this thread you've started, the more razors you own, the harder it is to pick a 'single' favorite razor.

MacDaDad, Keithmax, brit and 3 others like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I just put myself on the page, warts and all. I'm a bit of an arse. Once in a while I try not to be. Today is not one of those days.

MacDaDad, efsk, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Ya gotta admit, the metalhead Clix is likely less well known than the (used-to-be little known and rarely seen) Shakey, a great shaver that's earned a good rep thanks to you. I make no boast in its relative obscurity, but it's a fact that I am the only guy I know of who regularly uses it as razor #1. I just like it more than the rest. Anybody asks me to explain why, I don't think I could.

True!

14. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Based on a "complete lack of knowledge", but a new member should be able to acquire a decent vintage for under $10. If later they want a RFB or Barbasol Floating Head, they can. Don't get me started on my beloved GEM Micromatic and Schick Type E, but with those some folks might have to hunt down the blades. And, I wouldn't want to suggest something that would required a current blade be modified to fit. So, this is why I suggested the Super Speed and Krona.

For me is would be an "air head" BMW RT-80 in candy apple red. I went through a Kawasaki as a boy. Those 1970's KZ-650's were excellent for the era.

Later I just had to have a Harley phase including a sand cast last year of the original owners, 1969 Electra-glide, and prior to the bowling ball company AMF assuming control. It to was candy apple red with white rubber. Selling it helped with paying off the mortgage, the children's first cars, and tuition...:D

PLANofMAN, brit and myles wilson like this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Vintage: 1941 Ranger Tech
    Modern: 2011 Mühle R41

16. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

It depends on...

the day
    the season
    what I'll have for breakfast
    If the coffee tastes good that day
    The weather
    The shaving soap I'll use
    my mood
    What I read yesterday

I tried to choose, I really did, but there's so many good razors.
    Sorry!

tp

17. myles wilson

I guess your right, but usually I shave every day or every other day. The only times my facial hair grows out a period of a few days, is if I choose to let it grow out.

MacDaDad, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  18. myles wilson

So I got this nice little green tee cup I started using for brush soaking and lathering. Seems to be pretty good, but it is a little bit shallow, so not the greatest for lathering but still works fine.

Attached Files:

19. brit

brit in a box

alright then..british new rfb 3 piece..most used daily driver ..:).if i could only have one..

20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Yeah unlike some other forums this place for most part the regular posters have been wet shaving for years and progressed well beyond the normal dime a dozen razors vintage or otherwise when it comes to DE stuff. You rarely see the sword crossing, name dropping poseur types or postings here. The OP is soliciting an opinion from people who are well versed in this hobby/wet shaving in general and not a bunch of confirmation bias muppets.