Another creation

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The first shave is complete on setting 1. It was a success. I am icing my arm now. Just kidding. It is a heavy razor, but not that bad. The Tom HeavyWeight or Tom's Fatboy Adjustable. Video will show up here when fully loaded.

2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I decided to Gun Kote the ALUMI-TAR Black. It is baking as I type. Hope to have it all finished in a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

and the Penguinators have the footage to prove it....

36fd409cc8ef47d682ed7b08a20efbcd.jpg

4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Here is the ALUMI-TAR all finished. Mind you I have ZERO painting skills. Also somebody took my good airbrush. And I had to use a messed up one that spits and leaks.

But the Gun-Kote will serve its purpose. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

If I were to do it again. I would opt for hard black anodize with a light sand or bead blast.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  5. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

That's really slick! Black shave hardware has to be one of my favorite finishes, and the Gun-Kote really gives it kind of a tactical feel. Cool as the Gun-Kote is, I agree with you on the anodized--betcha that turns out even better.

Edison Carter, Jim99 and twhite like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Very cool, Tom. Looking forward to giving it a run.

Jim99 likes this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Tom, it looks great!

8. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I just gave the ALUMI-TAR a go. I made this one more mild on the lowest setting.

I started on 5. This felt very nice. I could even make it a bit more open and still like it

Pass 2 was on 3. This for me is as low as I would like

Pass 3 was on 1 the lowest setting. To mild for my liking. But I think it will be fine for those who prefer a mild razor.

All in all a very good shave. This razor feels like it is in the 55 gram range. This is just a guess as my scale died a few weeks back.

This is going to Jeff tomorrow. Once he is done, it will go to Jim. He will test it. Then send them both back to me to make adjustments to the Brass. I will get it dialed back to what the Aluminum one is. Then we will be off to the races.

Tom

9. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Silly question. Are you going to sell these?

10. Tjebbe

Tjebbe Well-Known Member

Nice one!
    If there is a possibility of a European tour, like with the Bunny.
    I sure like to try it!

11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

WOW! Outstanding Tom.

twhite likes this.
  12. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

No plans on selling. Sorry.

13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Let’s see after the US part. You are the 3rd to ask from across the pond.

Tom

Tjebbe likes this.
  14. Tjebbe

Tjebbe Well-Known Member

Thanks, we'll see!

15. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

Wow, I don't know how I missed this thread. I just played catchup this morning . Incredible hardware as usual @twhite. If still on the table, I'd love the opportunity to try either one on a pass around. The Aluminum one with black gun-kote - just wow! The black TNNSER and ALUMI-TAR can take a selfie together .

I wish I was gifted with hands that could manufacture this stuff. Keep up the good work buddy!

Josh

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Edison Carter and twhite like this.
  16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Josh

You are on the list.

hins2jw0 likes this.
  17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

kjbarth and hins2jw0 like this.
  18. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Today, I opened the TAR up to 4 and put in a new Gillette Silver Blue blade. Now, that was pretty aggressive. I carefully finished the first pass and backed it off to 2. The second pass was an easy one. It was a great shave with no cuts, nicks, or abrasions. The Eskimo Tuxedo brings tears to your eyes. It is very cold. You already know about Osage Rub. What a combination!
    I think I will go back to 2 for tomorrow's setting. I cannot imagine 6. Maybe someone out there is braver than I.

sod20020203.JPG

BigD, GAW9576, kjbarth and 5 others like this.
  19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That’s good to know. I’ll probably start at 2 and work it up after I get a feel for the razor.

GAW9576 and Jayaruh like this.
  20. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Just a heads up to all. Jim will be sending me the Brass back to me in a week or so. Jeff is using the ALUMI-TAR right now. He will be sending out later this week.

Jim found a few things that need addressed. I will be making the Brass TAR more in line with the ALUMI-TAR. It also appears that the base plate is bent some. Causing an uneven blade gap. I will be correcting this also. I should only have it for a day or so. After I address these small tweaks, I will be sending both out on tour.

Thank you for your patience. This is why I sent to Jeff and Jim first. Jeff likes the ALUMI-TAR as is. No adjustments needed.

I am looking forward to everybody’s feedback. Maybe one of you will want to make a bunch of them.

Tom

Norcalnewb, GAW9576, Jim99 and 3 others like this.