February 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 30, 2020.

?

Name your favorite!

1. Straight razors.

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Vintage DE razors.

21 vote(s)
    48.8%
  3. Modern DE razors.

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  4. SE razors.

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  5. Pain sticks.

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  6. Badger brushes.

16 vote(s)
    37.2%
  7. Boars

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
  8. Synthetics

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
  9. Cookies

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  10. Polls that don't take 10 minutes to fill out!!

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome to February Favorites for 2020!! So what is February Favorites you ask? Simple. Pick out a favorite razor or razors, soap or soaps, brush or brushes.....you get the idea, and use those this month just to enjoy a month of great shaves with some favorite gear. Or, if you're trying to find a favorite, this is the month to do some comparison shaves and figure out which really is your favorite. Of course you are free to totally ignore the theme and find your own theme for the month. We used to call this Fatboy February but once Fatboy Friday became a thing it freed the month up. However, Fatboy February is totally ok too, as is what I will call “Fatty Fatboy February”. That would be using your Gillette Fatboy with Mitchell’s Wool Fat all month. Whatever you choose to do – we’re thrilled you’re along for the ride!

Welcome back or welcome for the first time!! Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Any thematic elements are up to each individual. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a Valentine cookie and meet the crew.

Rules are the same people.

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome. Ok, ok…you’re not old. You’re experienced.
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. There is no such thing as a stupid question, or a question that has been asked too many times. If you need to know something just ask!
    7. If you want cookies, you know where to find them. We are currently working to restore shipments of Ice Cream from the Ice Cream Collective. Negotiations continue.
    8. If you are completely at a loss to understand the Cartel, Rebellion, etc. etc……know that these all fall under the category of “shenanigans”. It’s just another thing we do.

Let's have some great shaves! Welcome to February Favorites!!! Group hug people!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

2. brit

brit in a box

hello gents .going to do a flare tip february..also going to use each razor for 3 or so shaves in a row to get a real feel for each.maybe find "the one".usual mix of soaps and such..happy shaves gents..

3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Flare Tip February. I like it.

4. brit

brit in a box

thank you Neal..:)..

Trigger, Linuxguile, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  5. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

February Focus
    To keep my life simple (and my children fed), I follow a rule of 3's for my den: 3 soaps, 3 AS, and 3 razors. No exceptions. Except, after a generous PIF from Evan @MrEE and cleaning out my two oldest boys' closet, I find that I now have 7 razors. This month's February Focus will help me whittle that down to 3 of my favorite things (razors).

Scoring
    Every day of the week, I will shave with a different razor. Each will have the same blade, and the same number of shaves logged on that blade. Each will use the same soap, and the same three-pass shave: 3 long YouTuber passes along the cheeks and neck (WTG, XTG, ATG), and three short-stroke passes along the goat-zone (WTG, XTG, ATG). No buffing or rehashing areas that have been shaved within that one pass. Light touch-ups allowed around the mouth for the sake of my sanity.

Razors will be scored in the following areas:

Closeness--BBS = 5, BBS/DFS = 4, DFS = 3, DFS/CCS =2, and CCS = 1. Anything below that scores a 0
    Comfort--No irritation = 5, hardly noticeable irritation = 4, minor irritation = 3, moderate irritation = 2. Anything beyond that scores a 0
    (Both Closeness and Comfort will be determined sometime between 1-2 hours after the shave takes place)
    Cost--at the end of the month, a one-time score will be given ranking each razor by the estimated cost for replacing blades
    Aesthetics/sentimental value--at the end of the month, a one-time score will be given evaluating how much I like the looks/emotional value of each razor.
    Ease of Use--at the end of the month, a one-time score will be given based how easy it is to find the sweet spot, change a blade, handle and shave with, etc. Very easy = 5, fairly easy = 4, easy = 3, tricky = 2, and anything more than tricky scores 0

Dead Is Dead
    When you play an RPG video game, you can expect to play a character for weeks, or even months at a time. Normally, dying is no big deal, because the character just starts off at the last save point. BUT there are some hardcore folks (I am not among them) that do not accept this. When they die, that's it--do not pass go, do not collect $200, game over man. Dead is dead.

I shave too quickly. I get careless. I worry an area until I burn it or slice it. In order to curb that natural tendency, I am adopting a dead-is-dead shave policy this month. At the first sign of blood, no matter how small, no matter how quickly it disappears, the shave is OVER and receives a score of 0. It also means that if I've shaved only half of my face, I walk around half shaved.

The Stakes
    The three razors with the highest score stay in the den, the rest go to anyone who can use them. If no one wants them, they go to goodwill in a box with all the clothes, toys, and electronics that time forgot.

February is going to be a difficult and emotional month for me :scared001:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    wristwatchb, Trigger, MrEE and 12 others like this.
  6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Let me tell you - this brought tears to my eyes. Tears of joy, tears of pride, tears of memories of monthly focuses of legend. Yes, my friend, the power is strong with you. A scoring system. Scientific method. The determination to walk around half-shaved if you fail. And the loss of beloved shaving gear for the good of your den. You, sir, are truly Cartel material. I've instructed Charlie @wristwatchb to draw up the necessary paperwork for your induction into the inner party. That should be processed by the recommendation committee sometime within 3 to 1,546 days per procedure. We'll let you know when it's official. In the meantime, I'll be watching with great interest as you work on this during February. Well done, sir. Well done.

Nailed it.jpg

7. timabababaluka

Thanks, Neal. You all have been an inspiring group of people :D

8. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Will you be as emotional when your new CT arrives?:eatdrink013:

wristwatchb, NCoxSTL, Trigger and 9 others like this.
  9. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

As you all know I'm doing the same 30 say rule as when I started here bla bla bla. Aside from that I will be actively participating in shenanigans and such and if/ when Charlie @wristwatchb gets the paperwork filled out I will be aiding/ abetting him in his neverending search for new CTs for all of those who dont have one . We don't want anyone to be left out. Have a fabulous February friends !

10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I’m going to mix the theme and use some favorites and I also going to give some soaps in the try again pile their last chance.

wristwatchb, NCoxSTL, Trigger and 9 others like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

this going to be a fun month..:D

12. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

My Focus for February will be my beloved MWF. It’s going to be Fat February which means I’ll also devote some time to my neglected Fatboy and my LaResche Fifty-one’, with the exception of my Birthday Shave on February Fourth. That shave will include my current favorite from each category.

BIRTHDAY SHAVE (February Fourth)
    RAZOR: Colonial Silversmith
    BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium
    BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat Salted w/ M-Bomb & PAA’s Preshave Menthol Cube
    AFTERSHAVE: Chiseled Face Cryogen AS Splash followed by PAA’s Unscented Mysterium Serum w/ Menthol

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  13. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

:eatdrink013:

wristwatchb, NCoxSTL, Trigger and 6 others like this.
  14. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Your Dead is Dead plan is interesting, Tim. End the shave at the first sign of Red? Very interested to see how it goes.

15. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I'm in, of course. As I've done before, I'm going to do a Favourites February. I'm going to change it up a bit this year and do 6 favourite combos, as I usually shave 6 days a week. I'm also going to say the 6 soaps will come from 6 different brands. I'll pick favourite splashes to match and will pick 6 favourite razors and brushes as well. Full disclosure- a couple of fave razors are out at the beauty salon getting a makeover, but I'm sure I can come up with something...
    I'll rotate through those 6 favourite combos for the month.

16. timabababaluka

I still think you are counting CT's that haven't hatched, sir. I'm not out of the game just yet ;)

17. timabababaluka

Me too. The plan is that the punishment will force me to slow things down a bit to preempt it. As the eternal optimist, my hope is there'll be nothing to see by the end of February :D

18. timabababaluka

Can't wait to see them :)

wristwatchb, Trigger, brit and 7 others like this.
  19. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

No comment! ;)

wristwatchb, Trigger, brit and 7 others like this.
  20. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I will be in, of course. Weekend and Monday shaves will be with Stirling Dirty South Shavers soap. I'll rotate through my other soaps the other days with Fridays reserved for The Fat. This is the start of a slow reduction of the Dirty South soap with the goal of finishing it off sometime this year.

Razors and brushes will be rotated through randomly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.