Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Robert1955, Jan 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

This is without doubt a nasty one, a couple of cases confirmed today in UK (York ), it has spread very fast to so many countries already it is a worry, just hope the WHO get on top of this soon.

RyX, SevenEighth, BigD and 1 other person like this.
  2. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Until the "WHO" can take charge we may want to take some personal accountability and make sure we're taking proper steps to protect ourselves and those around us.

If you have to ask who will do something make sure you're doing everything you can first. Talk with your neighbors, share information, and see if everyone can work together. Be not so easy to give authority of your life to others in fear. For what you give up will never be given back without much effort or violent force.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Carson West, Ursa, RyX and 5 others like this.
  3. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

I am beginning to get irritated about the ratio of hype to useful advice. I have tried to find what the advice is of you catch coronavirus, but everything seems to be about preventing transmission.

The NHS usually give information about what to do if you become ill with a particular condition.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/wuhan-novel-coronavirus/

This link is unhelpful about assisting recovery or even at what point you should be going to hospital. Which is pretty dumb really because it risks people involving health services too early and overwhelming them.

There is even a lack of symptoms listed. Though you can find them in the WHO reports.

I assume you should treat the illness like any other viral flu : fluids and reduce tremporature.

More detail on transmission :
    https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

As it is a virus the antibacterial hand sanitisers won't do much good, the alcohol based ones would provide more protection, the higher the better.

This at least starts to talk about when to seak advice :

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/steps-when-sick.html

RyX, BigD and brit like this.
  4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

For those of you who like Corona beer, it is virus free. Apparently there was some fake news and conspiracies.....

BigD and brit like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

There's a school of thought in all of this which, wanting to avoid unnecessary hype, posits that the number of deaths in China isn't due to the virus itself but to lack of healthcare there on the level we enjoy. Secondary infections, etc. It's possible, something to think about.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It's a flu. Treat it just like one. Just about everyone who has died from it has been either very young, or elderly. Both groups of people tend to have weak immune systems.

You don't need to run out and stock up on surgical masks either. Surgical masks prevent spittle and snot from dripping into a patient when they have the patient opened up. They also protect against blood spray. They don't protect a person from from airborne viruses, though if you have a cold/flu, it might help prevent you from transmitting it to other people.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    RyX, S Barnhardt, Shaver X and 6 others like this.
  7. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

RyX, brit and BigD like this.
  9. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

With the word leaking out around the Chinese info firewall, I'm starting to wonder. Going out this weekend to quietly start stocking up on non-perishable staples. Talked to my mom, who lives back in the woods several states away. They're always ahead of me in these matters so she reissued her standing order that if things look to start going south in a big way, we know to pack up, tank up, bug out and head for the trees.

Yeah, it could amount to nothing. But you never know. If things really started getting bad, metropolitan Florida is NOT somewhere I want my family to be stuck.

RyX and BigMike like this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Summer is coming and this little "Pandemic" will be forgotten. Around 2000 dead, world-wide?? On a global scale, this is considered a joke. Influenza(The Flu), kills over 500,000 a years. Unless you are traveling to a Wuhan China, and are an infant, or elderly, and have a severely compromised immune system, chances are, you will never be affected.
    I have never had a cold, or the flu, and only once had a flu shot, 34 years ago in college, and I don't worry. I wash my hands with tap water, several times a day, no soap. I dont stick my finger in my mouth, eyes, or nose(in public):D.
    So, "The Chicken Little" reaction I see, everywhere, just makes me laugh.

RyX, gorgo2 and Keithmax like this.
  12. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

There was an article in "Der Postillion", the German equivalent of "The Onion", claiming that Corona have changed their name to avoid confusion with the virus
    The new name is...
    Show Spoiler
    Ebola :p

RyX, PLANofMAN, Intrigued and 3 others like this.
  13. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I've been closely tracking the numbers from WHO and Johns Hopkins. They have good information updated daily which you can get off their web sites. There is enough data to make some rough estimates. Presently, the death toll is accelerating by about 4.4 people per day squared (my estimate) . If that present rate continues, it will kill 280,000 this year plus another 850,000 the following year. But so many things could change to make the situation better or worse, I think that is what has officials worried. Death is by vital pneumonia. Many of the dead were smokers. Of the early cases, those over 60 were most affected and very few under the age of 15 were impacted. Of those sick enough to seek medical attention, only 2 in 3 survive.
    I am far more concerned about people panicking than the disease itself. In China they have quarantined entire regions, canceled school throughout the country, and extended the New Year holiday keeping people away from work. I don't know how those kinds of measures would go over in Western countries.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    RyX, beemers and gorgo2 like this.
  14. Robert1955

There are many corona virusis but this is a new one and already has the ability to change, this is why there is so much concern. I had flu two years ago and to cut a long story short it wiped out a large area of my lungs, I am on oxygen 24/7 and have a lung function of 40%...and falling, so even tho most people recover well from flu, it can leave many types of damage to various organs like heart and lungs and also brain. I am 65 soon so maybe the age thing is a big consideration too, to be fair I have had chest problems for some years. I also get the flu vaccination every year, but only the top 10 virus are in the mix...the one I had was obviously known but not rated high enough to be included in the jab...just my luck

RyX, DaltonGang and gorgo2 like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Be prepared, I always say, cuz ya just never know. If it blows over, stored food and water will get used eventually.

You may gave seen accounts reportedly from within China of crematoria running 24/7 for days on end in some areas, workers exhausted and badly equipped with no end in sight, with the chicom government downplaying the numbers. We'll see.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    RyX and BigMike like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    If you want to see a real pandemic, look at the flu of 1918. 625k Americans dead, 50 million dead worldwide.

RyX, BigMike, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  17. Robert1955

That was the worst one I believe, must have been a worrying time for all. Forget wars, a bug/ virus/nerve toxin or other manmade micro airborne toxin will get us, a few tons of the stuff delivered by drones could take a country down in days....oh the joys :( :( :(

gorgo2 likes this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yes, and it started in the U.S., if memory serves, in the relatively small population of an army base, then went worldwide.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I knew you were old as dirt. Thanks for confirming... :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.