Old Spice questions

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by rmcintyre84, Feb 2, 2020.

1. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

I see people referring to Old Spice as "Shulton," "Classic," "US Version," etc. Does Shulton not make the new stuff? How can I recognize true vintage products when I'm antiquing? Some fellows have said the Dollar General version smells more like the older/original OS. Has that been your experience? Thanks.

Leo501 likes this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Proctor and Gamble bought Old Spice from Shulton in June 1990.

I usually look for Shulton on the bottle. Also, the graphics changed slightly. Maybe someone who has a newer bottle can post a photo showing the difference.

I’ve purchased Old Spice from India that is advertised as original Shulton formula but to my nose it’s more powdery than vintage original.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  3. John Beeman

I don’t know about the Dollar General copy, but the Family Dollar version is pretty close.

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Original:
    ass.jpg
    Original:
    $_3.jpg
    Re-invented. (Stay away, imo)
    iu.jpg
    Ditto:
    iua.jpg

Leo501, Angelo85, chevyguy and 2 others like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Agreed!

6. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

IMG_20191216_171326.jpg vintage left
    modern (aka red cap version) right

Leo501 and Primotenore like this.
  7. rmcintyre84

Thanks guys. The "re-invented" is all I have access to right now.

Paul Turner and myles wilson like this.
  8. John Beeman

I'll check my stock - maybe you'll get lucky

9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

One of New Spice's scents-Hawkridge-smells pretty nice...a passable attempt to copy Shulton. Even though it's New Spice, I still may get it just for kicks. As some of you may know, where I'm concerned, if it doesn't say Shulton and says P&G instead, that makes it New Spice. To me, it's insulting to see P&G say "Established in 1938" on the New Spice bottles.

10. rmcintyre84

Awesome.

11. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

To me the newer Old Spice doesn't have as strong a fragrance as the original Shulton version. They do smell similar.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If it says Proctor &Gamble anywhere on it, stay away. They reformulated the Shulton Old Spice in 1993. There is a Shulton labeled Old Spice made in 1993, that is the new formulation, but it also says Proctor & Gamble on it. After that, Shulton no longer was written on the bottles.

Paul Turner, Juno and cliffb599 like this.
  13. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

The modern P&G version of Old Spice pales in comparison to the classic Shulton version. With the modern version; I’m lucky if the scent lasts 45 minutes before it dissipates. The Shulton formula lasts a minimum of 5-6 hours after application.

Paul Turner likes this.