Durham show thread was Durham duplex???

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GAW9576, Nov 20, 2019.

1. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

I stropped the pathology blade again and flipped the blade back and forth a few times to get both sides of one edge the other side I just stropped like normal.
    The shave was noticeably better on the side of the blade that I stropped better by flipping it over. Hope my explanation make sense.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ilts likes this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Hmmm, I just throw they away, when they arrive with other razors I buy. I never found one that could deliver a comfortable shave.

GAW9576 likes this.
  3. GAW9576

I wanted to try them out after finding the aluminum handled one. I love the look of that razor. I got the other two DE style ones for the same reason. The straight style I got more as an accessory to the other three to be able to stop the blades. This shave was pretty reasonable and actually enjoyable. And I think if I get the technique of stopping the blades down better I will actually really enjoy these razors. If you get any more with other razors you could send them my way instead of the trash if they're not rusty.
    I want to try making a set of scales for one of the straights.

DaltonGang likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

You got it. But, usually the scales on the Durham razors are warped. Usually.

GAW9576 likes this.
  5. GAW9576

I noticed that when searching for mine. Quite a few looked like the scales had been overheated and melted a little bit.
    Some of those examples had really good looking metal on them though. That's what made me think of doing a few with custom scales. I made a one piece scales for a straight razor years ago and have been wanting to give it another go. I just hate to take good scales of a razor to do it.

ilts and DaltonGang like this.
  6. GAW9576

I tried stropping a pathology blade again today. I don't think it helped much. The stropping attachment holds the edge of the blade off the paddle strop kn the one side and makes stropping difficult at best on a paddle. I think a hanging strop would solve this with the slight curve you would get on it. I'll just have to stick to using the blades as they come till I get a hanging strop. I also stropped the single edge blade with the handle from my Gem Jr. Bar which seemed to give a slight improvement. I used the Henkels Rapide for about half the neck shave and all of the back of the neck.

[​IMG]

ilts likes this.
  7. GAW9576

I picked up some Persona carpet cutter blades to try in the Durham Duplex today. The shave was quite comfortable. These razors are definitely interesting and I look forward to using them more. I did have my Gem curved top squat head loaded with a second use Gem SS. I used it for backup just in case and to handle a few touch ups in spots where the Durham is a little to big to get conveniently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edison Carter likes this.
  8. GAW9576

I had a fun Daily Double today. I realized I hadn't tried this Durham yet. I used it for the first pass then used the trusty Ever-ready 1914 for the rest of the shave. I enjoyed the Durham but I really think these blades could be improved with a hanging strop. I am going to have to solve the lack of a hanging strop soon. The ER performed very well with a 6th use Meijer blade. I even kept the blade to give it a chance at a 7th use which is unusual for me. The soap I used today was a goats milk soap a friend made. It lathered and performed quite well but I added a bit to much water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

I have one of the folding ones and I have Never been able to get a comfortable shave with it. All it would ever do is just try to pull the hairs out no matter what blade I tried.

GAW9576 likes this.
  10. GAW9576

I am making a strop soon to try touching off the edge on the carbon blades. I will post results here.
    What blades did you use. And which folding Durham do you have there are several scale styles.
    If I get things shaving well I may pick up another one but with bad scales and make custom scales for it.

11. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

i have tried the original and the pathology and some other but none were comfortable

GAW9576 likes this.
  12. GAW9576

I actually got a better shave with the carpet cutter blade.

jaro likes this.
  13. GAW9576

I had an excellent shave today with an Enders Speed and a shick proline B20. I also used a Dunham duplex a bit. The available blades realy let this razor down. I got creative and put a Feather proguard in one side just to see what this razor would be like with a good blade. The blade exposure was Way to much but I shaved with ot just a little. WOW I wish I could get good blades for this razor. I like the handling. Lather came courtesy of cold water mixed Cella and Mer shavings mysore sandalwood using a Maggard SHD two band badger brush.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]