Homemade Sharps Container / Blade Bank

Discussion in 'Special Projects' started by S Barnhardt, Feb 12, 2020.

1. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I know in the big scheme of things, there are probably as many solutions as there are members when it comes to "how to store/dispose of used razor blades." I'd been tossing over how to deal with mine and had read suggestions from wrapping them in tape and tossing in the trash to buying a blade bank. I wanted to "devise" something and in talking with my wife, she suggested the tin that black pepper comes in from the grocery store. Hhmm?? An idea! We emptied it out into a shaker, cleaned it out, and taped off the white plastic portion at the top. Took it outside and gave it a couple of coats of red spray paint to match most "sharps" container. Untaped the top, found some appropriate graphics on Google and made myself a label. Used a glue stick to glue it to the metal container. Didn't turn out half bad, as you can see below.

sharps 5.jpg sharps 3.jpg sharps 4.jpg

2. brit

brit in a box

very cool Barney..

S Barnhardt and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I use a vitamin bottle with a slot cut in the top. On the shelf in the bathroom, it just looks like vitamins.
    IMG_20210702_194345763~2.jpg
    Stealthy.
    - Bax

4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Good idea

5. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Well done. When it is full and you get ready to throw it out, just remember to super glue the cap onto the bottle. :eatdrink047:

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Me: Waitaminnit. If these are my vitamins, what the hell did I just swallow?

7. Glondus

Glondus Well-Known Member

looks very neat:) how did you cut the area to put blades?

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And if you think jalapenos are rough the next day... :shocked003::scared007:

9. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I used a cutting wheel on a Dremel tool. It took about two seconds. BZZT! Done.
    - Bax

Glondus likes this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Very nice work!
    I just use Altoids Arcitc tins. We like the mints so we always have them and they do not readily come open accidentally.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Here is my solution. I opened a can of chicken stock with a whack from the heel of my chef knife creating a slit in the top of the can. I've been getting 3 to 4 years per can. I tape it and mark it when full. Not very elegant, but quick and functional.

IMG_20210708_181826_201.jpg

12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Ditto. Although I have yet to fill the can full, and I change blades after three shaves. I can't remember just now when I opened the can, but it seems to me that it has been about 8 years...

Hembree, IAmTheJody and PanChango like this.
  13. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

I just use a small cat food can. There are only adults in the house and it's in a drawer so nobody's going to mess with it. My dad used a can that cheese that came in from a 60s Chef Boyardee pizza kit.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  14. Glondus

Glondus Well-Known Member

it doesnt look fancy but it is safe as hell :)
    i have two kids at home, i used a tea can, drileed 4 holes and strapped the cap. it is quite large, i assume it will last several years.
    20210723_161113_mfnr.jpg
    20210723_161119_mfnr.jpg 20210723_161113_mfnr.jpg 20210723_161119_mfnr.jpg

wristwatchb, brit, IAmTheJody and 2 others like this.
  15. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I keep used DE blades in a pill bottle. An area drug store accepts used sharps (as part of their needle exchange program), so I'll take 'em there occasionally. I can legally place blades in a labeled rigid container, tape-up the opening when full, and drop them in the trash, but I'm not a fan of doing that.

Sara-s, IAmTheJody and brit like this.