Vintage injector blades.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by HUF, Feb 14, 2020.

1. HUF

HUF Active Member

Are vintage injector blades any good? Thanks!

johnnyflake and PLAla like this.
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I've had some great success with them. I've used Schick Plus Platinum, Gillette Platinum Plus, Personna Twinjectors, Private Club Platinum Chrome, Personna Chrome, and maybe some more.

johnnyflake likes this.
  3. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

I have not run across any truly vintage injector blades, to try, but if they are new/unused and not rusted up, or something like that, I cannot
    imagine, why they would not give you a great shave!

4. HUF

HUF Active Member

Thank you, gentlemen! Occasionally, I see sealed 20-40 years-old injector blades and was wondering if they were worth to try. Planning to get a E or G type Schick razor soon.

johnnyflake likes this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

There shouldn't be any issues with them as long as they aren't rusted. I've used some of the original thicker blades made for the Schick magazine razors before and found them to be quite good same as with some of the later stainless steel Krona injector blades. Just keep in mind they might be more expensive than newer blades depending the seller.

6. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Stainless Steel; yes.
    Non-Stainless; no.

My advice is to not buy too many unless you want to collect them or the price is low.

I’ve got some vintage stainless and enjoy them but the older non-stainless ones I’ve picked up are only good for scraping paint.

Enrico and gorgo2 like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

What John said. Carbon blades from 80 years ago can still be found in mint condition, but they are not worth using compared with, say, the modern Chinese Schick or vintage stainless. There's just no contest.

Enrico and John Beeman like this.
  8. HUF

HUF Active Member

Got it - only stainless. Thank you. Looks like Personna has done private lable for several distributors. I see basically the same vintage (with bar code) partially plastic cartridge under different names quite often. The vintage stainless cost pretty much like modern ones.

gorgo2 likes this.
  9. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Blade on left is a modern Schick (China), shaves well, oval holes.

Blade on right was in the dispenser that came with an I1 I bought. Round holes.

Shaving with opened goods is always questionable. I gave it an alcohol bath before giving it a try. Rough shaver. Magnifying reveal it had been dinged. Not sure if I'll ever try another, but if I do, it will be checked under magnification first!

If anyone can comment on the hole patterns, I'd love to hear.

20200216_040710.jpg

gorgo2 likes this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Pretty sure the round holed blades are designed to go with the Hydro-Magic type injectors with the blade retainer mechanism. It has two teeth in the back of the head that holds the blade while you lift the lever and open the head. Neat idea, it lets you rinse out soap and stubble without losing the blade.

Edison Carter likes this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Correct. Any blades made prior to 1954 will be solid. Afterwards all the blades came first with those 2 smaller holes in them then the 2 channels like the modern blades.

Edison Carter and gorgo2 like this.
  12. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Cool. Thank you

gorgo2 likes this.