The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Another amazing shave, Perry! :D

2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Thank you, Tim!

ezlovan, Frijolero and john zeiger like this.
  3. jayjacque

jayjacque Well-Known Member

For my first foray into Stirling products, this is the order I placed at Top of the Chain up here in Canada:
    Soap samples:
    Vanilla Sandlewood
    Almond Creme
    Gin & Tonic
    Lemon Chill
    Piacenzo
    Pharoah's Creamsicle
    Arkadia
    Sandpiper
    Deep Blue Sea
    Baker Street

Aftershave samples:
    Stirling Spice
    Agar

And a bottle of unscented menthol Aftershave Balm

I'm a pretty old guy in my late 60's but feel like a kid getting all this stuff that I can't wait to try and already have 10 or 12 more picked out for another order in a couple months!

4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Great! The soap samples are big and last forever. Can easily get 15 shaves per sample.

5. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Well in the last ten days I’ve have five shaves. I’m getting the hang of things faster than I expected. Quite a few little weepers and general rough feeling afterwards for the first four, but today went almost as well as a right handed shave........albeit slower and less enjoyable.

My scent choices so far were Haverford twice, Mountain Man, Executive Man, and today being “date night” was DETON-8. Matching splashes each time, and a modest dog of Spice Bomb too for this evening. Ironically my wife has been fighting that bug going around and her sinuses are plugged up. At least I know how great I smelled. :cool:

Hardware has been the forgiving 34C for the last three shaves, and a different brush every day............my Simpson Best Commodore X2 tonight.

I’m making it work, but I’m really looking forward to getting my right paw back in the game.

6. timabababaluka

You have great taste, sir! I've used 6 of them. Here they are in order of preference, though honestly, they're all winners:
    • Baker Street
    • Arkadia
    • Sandpiper
    • Piacenza
    • Vanilla Sandalwood
    • Pharaoh's Dreamsicle
    The last three could change on a minute by minute basis. First three? Set in stone ;)

ezlovan, Edison Carter, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  7. timabababaluka

Without a doubt. I went for a year just on samples. :D

ezlovan, john zeiger, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  8. timabababaluka

Mad props for getting it done with the left, sir! And Great scent choices. And here's to a speedy and complete recovery. :D

9. jayjacque

Went through the order list again. Guess I forgot I also ordered samples of Ozark Mountains and Mountain Man, so definitely got plenty to go thru and find favs!

10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Y'know, I don't mean to shock you Tim but I've read some of your Stoylin reviews. That settles it...you're a fan :).

11. Paul Turner

I followed up on Doc Ezlovan's invitation to watch some videos...saw one where the man was shaving with Barbershop soap. He just kept talking left and right throughout the whole thing. I agree you want good commentary in these videoes, but...well, I'll just say, how he avoided spreading some soap into his mouth is beyond me.

12. jayjacque

It's not a life or death situation but I wonder if you guys could sort out for me some seemingly similar Stirling soap scents? Are they close to each other, or not at all? Which do you prefer and why? Which ones are must haves?

Deep Blue Sea, Stirling Blu, and Stirling for Him (blue aquatic scents)

Piacenza, Arkadia, Tsuka (blood on steel), Satsuma, and Ramblin' Man (orange/citrusy scents)

Sandpiper and Bergamot & Lavender

Gin & Tonic and Margaritas in the Arctic

Ozark Mountain, Coniferous, and Christmas Eve (pine type scents)

I prob have too much time on my hands over thinking all this. Maybe you can help save me a few bucks and rule out a few.

13. dangerousdon

dangerousdon New Member

I can't help you too much on the others, but these two I have a little experience.

Bergamot and Lavender is just that...a nice citrus and lavender. It is a really nice scent (especially in the spring or summer)

While Sandpiper does have citrus and lavender in it...to me at least...it comes away with more earthiness and more spiciness (from spices not heat). Sandpiper is a really nice scent as well. Hope others can help you out...as I am sure they can.

14. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Here are my opinions....

Deep Blue Sea - great classy, fresh, not overpowering, get it
    Stirling Blu - limited to on hand only, I prefer Stirling for Him (#2 on my list) - also limited

Piacenza - must have
    Arkadia - I did not like, it seemed to remind me of a heavily perfumed woman in an elevator
    Tsuka (blood on steel) - My absolute fave - I hoarded it
    Satsuma - a great and lasting orangey citrus, I like it
    Ramblin' Man - did not make the cut, I found a wood-like smell in there I didn’t like.

Sandpiper - must have
    Bergamot & Lavender - really nice, not one of my leaders.

Gin & Tonic and Margaritas in the Arctic - not offended by either, just too many I liked more

Ozark Mountain, Coniferous, and Christmas Eve (pine type scents) - not a super evergreen fan for aftershave, but the next tub of mutton tallow soap will be Scots Pine Sheep. I've never gotten a better lather than from Stirling mutton tallow soaps. I have the unscented, which is more a "has its own scent" that is troublesome for some.

I suggest sample sizes if available. I bought full size of Ramblin Man before trying and wound up giving it away. AND, to prove that my opinions are not universal, the recipient loves it.

Dont think I recall anyone not liking Sandpiper, Piacenza or Deep Blue Sea.

Terry, ezlovan, ghostlife and 5 others like this.
  15. Paul Turner

Very well put together, Mr. Cawtuh. Wanted to ask you what you didn't like about Ramblin Man. I mean...was the wood more like forest wood or lumber-type(to your nose)?

16. Paul Turner

I did Ramblin Man this week-end(yesterday and today). Raffle-day shave came out better than that of yesterday. Next soap&A.S. combo-Spice.

17. Edison Carter

I really cannot remember exactly, probably a milled wood. I just recall that there are soooo many other flavors I like better that it seemed foolish to keep items just to get them used up, if there was a possibility someone else would like it.

18. jayjacque

Thanks so much Edison (and dangerousdon). Exactly the kind of synopsis I was looking for! A few other opinions wouldn't hurt either. I know everyone has slightly different tastes, but I've read enough of your posts Edison to respect your opinion. I border on OCDing stuff like this, so I too want to avoid thinking I have to buy every single one (even if only samples) and their matching A/S/ I've already got stuff from a few other companies. and well, the wife would do something ungodly to me if I spent hundreds and hundreds of moolah in too short of time span. Anyway, much appreciated.

19. Edison Carter

Uh..... I don't think that The Lovely Mrs Headroom knows how much I spent to save money on shaving costs.

20. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Another great post Edison Carter!