Weishi's "The Edge" Safety razor Looks Suspiciously Like Viking's Blade Emperor Augustus!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Michael_W, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I hope I didn't violate a forum rule by posting this video, but I was curious to know how people were reviewing the Weishi adjustable that came out a year or two ago after its split with Qshave on the Parthenon, and stumbled upon this video. The razor used by the gentleman looks suspiciously like the Viking's Blade Emperor Augustus adjustable razor I purchased last year, although there are differences in the handle and in the setting (Viking's goes to 9, Weishi goes to 7).

Did Weishi simply clone the Viking's Blade adjustable?

brit and cliffb599 like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It looks like a Parthenon razor. From what I can tell, Weishi calls the razor the "Nostalgia." If it shaves like the Parthenon, it clogs easily.

Edit: I was loaned the Parthenon by a fellow member. I was not impressed by it at all. The Emperor Augustus, on the other hand, is a (close enough for military use) "clone" of the Gillette Fatboy. The design of it is solid, even if the QC, fit, and finish are somewhat lacking when compared to the Fatboy.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Edison Carter, brit and Michael_W like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Not impressed with the angles this guy uses.

Michael_W likes this.
  4. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Most likely because all of those razors are made by Weishi under different brand names. Theres about a million razors out there of various brands that are just a Weishi with a different name on it.

Michael_W likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Not entirely correct.

GUANGZHOU WEIDI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD was founded in 2002. It makes razors under the Baili brand name.

Weishi was founded in 1984.

Edit: I should have added this to my last post - the Emperor Augustus razor is made by Baili for the company, Vikings Blade.

Enrico and Edison Carter like this.
  6. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

All you have to do is look at that razor to see that its a variant of the Parthanon. Baili does make most of Vikings Blade's razors but not that one.

7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Yeah, I mentioned that already.
    I suppose Yintal or Yaqi could be making it for them, but if it was Yaqi, I would expect them to make it for themselves. I can't see Weishi making them for Viking and not selling them themselves, especially since their own adjustable collaboration with Qshave has produced competing near identical razors. It seems farfetched to think they would screw over Qshave and not screw over Viking.

Edit: comparing the viking adjustable to one of Yintal's adjustables,
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable...756601?hash=item2cfba99779:g:fKIAAOSwEOxdxmR3

It seems likely that Yintal is the Emperor Augustus manufacturer.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Michael_W and Edison Carter like this.
  8. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Well, THIS has turned into quite the mystery to investigate!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. Daywalker

Daywalker Active Member

When I click the link I get a ming shi (3000s?) like razor which is all zamak afaik, not sure how they are related to the Emperor.

Or did you mean this one?
    I wonder if Yintal is even in the razor manufacturing business. I once asked about one of their 3 piece, and they confirmed it was made by Weishi.
    Since some of their adjustables looks exactly like the Weishi adjustable I think it's not far fetched to assume their adjustables are all Weishis. The head design looks similar to that of the Parthenon though and nothing like the emporer head.

After the incident with Baili making Viking Blades Chieftain knock offs I wonder if they're still producing for them.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Michael_W likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The Ming Shi 3000 is a Merkur Futar knockoff, if I remember correctly.
    The razor I linked to looks like this:
    s-l400 (2).jpg
    The Parthenon/Nostalgia looks like this:
    images.jpeg
    The Emperor Augustus looks like this:
    609322FB-FDC7-4147-AA50-0CBE85752DAE.jpeg
    It doesn't look exactly like the first image, but it's a hell of a long way from a Parthenon.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Michael_W and Daywalker like this.
  11. Daywalker

Daywalker Active Member

Thanks, I know what they all look like.

The Futur clone is the Ming Shi 2000s.
    But the ebay link that you posted redirects to a Ming Shi 3000s (B&B, YT - not a Yintal, I think Yintal is just in the rebranding business) which I don't think resembles the Emperor at all. So it was not clear to me which razor you're referring to.

Didn't say the Emporer resembles the Parthenon, but that the Parthenon and Weishi have a similar head design (which makes sense since it's made by Weishi+Qshave) which looks a bit like a crossover of a Futur and the old Gillette TTOs, but it looks not much like the Emperor.

So I think, since the quarrel Vikings Blade had with Baili, Weishi seems still to be the most likely candidate to me, given they also make brass razors, while Baili's razors are primarily zamak razors. Also, I assume Vikings Blade learned from their past mistakes and they probably made sure they have a water proof patent over in China for their design this time.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Michael_W and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    That makes sense. :happy088:

Michael_W likes this.