Another creation

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Tom, you’ve got that right!

Jayaruh and twhite like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I agree.

Jim99 likes this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I’m on day three with the TARs and went for the aluminum one this morning.

I lathered up with Stirling hot apple cider (this soap lasts forever), and cranked up the alumi-TAR to 4. I’m still using the same Personna blade that I started with on Friday.

I was hesitant to set the razor at 4 as I thought it might be too aggressive, but I quickly discovered my fears were unfounded. The razor provided some audible feedback as it cut through the stubble. I noticed some blade feel on this setting, so I went gently as I shaved. It felt as though there was a bit of chatter coming from the blade, but it did not seem to interfere with the shave. I did an effortless two pass shave, but did need to go over a couple of problem spots a few times. I was rewarded with an almost BBS shave with not even a nick! It was a very nice shave!

One thing I noticed this morning is when cleaning up the razor with the cap off, is that water collects in the opening where the head screw goes into the handle. The water has nowhere to drain. Would this be an issue in the long term?

C951075D-FF2C-42ED-AA54-618BA393E853.jpeg

ischiapp, kjbarth, hins2jw0 and 3 others like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Nice review, Jim. Not even a nick; that's great. I think 5 was my limit on the ALUMI-TAR. Six was just too much blade for me. Interesting observation on the water thing.

Edison Carter, GAW9576 and Jim99 like this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Hmmm... 5. Now that I found that 4 works for me, I think I’ll set it on 5 tomorrow morning.

BTW, after cleanup, I left the head off the razor so the threaded area inside the handle could dry.

Edison Carter, GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Go ahead and drill a few drainage holes in them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Yikes, Tom! No way!
    :scared001:

GAW9576, twhite and Edison Carter like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    oh-no.jpg

Jim99 and Edison Carter like this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Tom, I went ahead and drilled a few drainage holes, but I don’t think you’re going to like the results. Sorry!
    EFC25083-980F-4CBB-88C7-5CD223EF7F54.jpeg

10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Day 4 with the TARs and I’m enjoying every minute of it! Despite the mishap with the drainage holes, I cranked up the brass TAR to 5 this morning to see what other damage I could do.

I’m now on shave 4 with the Personna blade, lathered up my Stirling soap with my jayaruh #221, and did my usual two pass WTG and ATG shave. I went nice and easy with the razor on 5. Interesting thing is I find the TARs are not overly fussy on the angles. I tried a shallow angle this morning due to the high setting I was using on the razor for fear of being bitten. Wow! On 5 this razor is a beast! I could have done a one pass shave and called it quits. It was a smooth and effortless shave. I did a second pass and ended up with a BBS! I caught a small nick above my lip, but no drama. The jump from 4 to 5 is quite noticeable, and I would like that jump to be less of a difference.

I find these razors run best for me on the 4 and 5 settings. I would say at that setting, it’s like a fatboy or slim on 6-8. I am surprised at the level of maneuverability considering the size of the head.

My experience with these razors so far is quite favorable, with only a few small issues. Tom, these are fantastic creations!

I will be sending them out to the next lucky Dener on Friday. @Norcalnewb , pm me your address.
    973663D4-7606-435E-BC2A-A8C1BEFBFCCD.jpeg

11. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Please say it aint so.

Edison Carter, Jim99 and twhite like this.
  12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Anticipating a busy day at work today, I had an early start this morning. With the alarm going at 3:45am, I was half asleep as I stumbled into the bathroom. My shave needed to be a quick one if I was to catch the early train. I planned on using the alumi-TAR set at 5, but dialed it back to 3 so I could fly through the shave. I’m now on the 5th shave with the Personna blade, I used my Stirling got apple cider and whipped it up with my Ever Ready C40. I’m finally beginning to see the bottom of the soap container. I must have at least 120 shaves out of this soap. Awesome!

I did two passes with the alumi-TAR in maybe 4 minutes. Not a nick to be had and I ended up with a nice DFS!

I love how easy it is to rinse the blades in these razors. Just loosen the cap, put it under the faucet, and both sides of the blade are rinsed at once. Very smart!

I hope to have more time tomorrow with these babies! Now I’m off to a meeting.

3889CE56-B3DE-49C6-BAD2-6BF59F6EDA2C.jpeg

13. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I figured I better start my Spring Adjustable Training so I can be in shape for my turn.

I've been using mostly edge forward shaving devices and was afraid I might have forgotten. Nice comfortable shave, wide open. I did let a couple of spots slip by, but I'll be ready!

20200225_084147-1.jpeg

GAW9576, twhite, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

You definitely want to be in shape when the TARs come your way.

15. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I'm thinking some weight training for the 'quarter pounder' and speed training for the stealthy aluminum version.

Jim99, GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Yep definitely need some cross training.

Jim99, GAW9576 and Edison Carter like this.
  17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I used the brass TAR this morning and set it on 5. Easy does it for sure on this setting. I loaded in the same Personna blade I’ve been using since Friday of last week. Today was shave 6 with the blade.

It was a two pass shave and a very nice shave at that. This razor will cut through anything at any setting. I’ve used it from 2 to 5, with 4 being my favorite, and have gotten very nice shaves.

The weight of this razor does take some getting used to, but the shave is automatic and you just steer it. I like the weight due to the shave feel, yet I dislike the weight as it does not feel natural to me and requires a little more attention. I am getting used to the weight, so I could see this fitting into a daily rotation. I think the ideal weight for a razor such as this would be closer to 90 grams.

I will be sending the duo out to @Norcalnewb by Friday, but I’m planning on two more shaves with the TARs before I pass them along.

38A70AE6-252C-42C3-B68E-D167740232E5.jpeg

ischiapp, GAW9576, hins2jw0 and 3 others like this.
  18. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Titanium might fit that weight bill.

Does anybody cut Titanium?

GAW9576, Jim99 and Edison Carter like this.
  19. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Jim

If you want. Take the adjuster knobs out and switch them. There is a pressure sleeve holding them in. They will pull out. When you reinstall them use small pliers to compress while reinstalling. One of those combos might get the weight you are looking for.

Tom

GAW9576, Jim99 and Edison Carter like this.
  20. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Good tip, Tom. I’ll give it a try.