Old Type ID...........

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jimjo1031, Feb 29, 2020.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

This is one of the sets @Jrdelgado sent me after removing the black oxidation from the case. I used the vinegar, salt and baking soda method and it worked out great. Then a little polishing to get the shine back. I didn't have white vinegar, but apple cider vinegar worked fine. I looked at Achim's site, @mr-razor, but couldn't find this one. The case has a smooth silver finish and you can see that the handle is different. The body of the handle is noticeably thinner and there is no knurling on the bottom ball of the handle. Also, the bottom is flat compared to other old type handles that are rounded.
    20200229_000133.jpg
    20200229_000216.jpg

2. Dirtfarmer

Dirtfarmer Well-Known Member

From what I can tell, the handle looks like a 1917 Service Set from Canada. On Mr.Razor

jimjo1031 likes this.
  3. jimjo1031

There was another set he sent that had a Canadian head. Maybe they got switched by accident, but not a military case. But on the logo, it didn't say "Made In USA", it has a basket weave pattern on it. I was kind of thinking of a mix up. Still the case is a mystery.

4. Dirtfarmer

That could be what happened. I've got a pocket set with the basket weave on it. Maybe you could compare the Canadian head with the one on MrRazor and get it sorted out.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Most importantly ..... how does it shave?

:eatdrink013:

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

Looks the same. Maybe the handles were switched and it belongs to the basket weave case. A Canadian civilian Old Type set possibly.

Enrico likes this.
  7. Dirtfarmer

The case looks similar to the 1912 pocket edition. It's the only smooth case I've found so far.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  8. jimjo1031

Yeah, same here, just with a silver finish. The Canadian head has a serial number, #338880.

9. Dirtfarmer

I don't know what year the tag on the inside had made in the USA on it but the first one I found is on a 1921? The research is the fun part of this hobby but the reference material is kinda difficult to come by.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  10. jimjo1031

The closest I can guess is it might possibly be a model 100, maybe 102, made in 1906.

11. Dirtfarmer

This is what I found about the date code:

Old Type Serial Numbers
    The Montreal plant began low-volume production ca. 1906-04-??, increasing through 1907. Early orders included Pocket Edition sets, some of which are still extant. During WWI most or all of the razors produced for European sale were made in Canada.The serial numbers for known Canadian razors are somewhat spotty and even contradictory. It appears that they sometimes used numbers alone and sometimes used "C" or "PC" as prefixes. While this data does not yet allow us to place a given razor in a given production year, we hope that one day it will. To this end we try to classify each razor as closely as possible.

Later Old Types

After mid-1921 the Boston, USA plant continued to produce the Old Type razors, but without serial numbers. In Canada the Montreal plant probably did the same.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  12. jimjo1031

I saw that, also this over here.... http://safetyrazors.net/gil_ser2.htm.... I did make a mistake, year could be 1905.
    1905 45425-370424 100* "Pat. Mar.7.05" (Canada)

13. Dirtfarmer

I'm thinking it's a cool handle and would add a touch of class to any razor you decided to use it on. Plus, it's over 100+ years old. I have a Fat handle tech handle that I use on my ball end tech razors because it's easier to hang on to. It's been on all the three piece heads I own.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  14. jimjo1031

So assuming that the handles were switched and the basket weave case has no "Made In USA" on the logo patch, this is what I come up with............
    20200229_111744.jpg
    20200229_111850.jpg
    Edit: These still might not be correct............

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  15. Dirtfarmer

LOL. Mine is exactly opposite of what you have. On the tag and basket weave pattern.

IMG_0861.JPG IMG_0862.JPG

jimjo1031 likes this.
  16. jimjo1031

I had one like that, but a gold one, until someone did a five finger discount on it. I did notice ABC sets didn't have "Made In USA" on the tag, but I figured I'd put the Canadian OC in this one.

Dirtfarmer likes this.