February 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 30, 2020.

?

Name your favorite!

1. Straight razors.

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Vintage DE razors.

21 vote(s)
    48.8%
  3. Modern DE razors.

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  4. SE razors.

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  5. Pain sticks.

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  6. Badger brushes.

16 vote(s)
    37.2%
  7. Boars

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
  8. Synthetics

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
  9. Cookies

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  10. Polls that don't take 10 minutes to fill out!!

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Now, that's what I am talking about! You are a host's host, Bill!

9nein9, brit, Terry and 4 others like this.
  2. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Awesome report, and beautiful set up, Andrew! I think I might follow your footsteps, and stick with WTG passes for a week or so (or at least tell myself I will, then throw pretty good counsel out the window as I am wont to do sometimes :happy102:

jtspartan, 9nein9, brit and 6 others like this.
  3. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

This isn't the Stirling Exchange, but the longest lasting citrus has got to be Satsuma. Sometimes I still smell it the next morning.

4. timabababaluka

Beautiful gear, Joseph! And, as always, fantastic report. Looking forward to the Russian blade focus :D

Primotenore, 9nein9, brit and 4 others like this.
  5. timabababaluka

:drool:

9nein9, brit, jluc and 2 others like this.
  6. Trigger

@timabababaluka, Tim, are you ready for tomorrow! It's the big day! Remember, you don't need to do one complete pass with the shavette and make sure you have your daily driver to complete the shave. I will be using my trusty Dovo shavette with the long Personna Hairshaper blade.

7. timabababaluka

Awesome head shave, Joe! Shavettes for me starting tomorrow :D

8. SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer Well-Known Member

:rofl:
    Great stuff Tim! I appreciate the encouragement! And I most definitely relate to the tendency to slip out on discipline... too often...:rolleyes005: but that’s another saga!

9nein9, brit, Terry and 5 others like this.
  9. Trigger

Don't worry, Tim! I will make sure that you won't go beyond your skill set until you are ready to progress! Otherwise, I will send the Russian czar's wife, Nathalia after you! Lol!

10. timabababaluka

I've been ready for tomorrow for the last three weeks :happy102:
    :happy093::happy036::happy108:

11. Trigger

I know! :eatdrink013:

9nein9, brit, Edison Carter and 3 others like this.
  12. Trigger

Satsuma is the strongesr citrus scent in the Stirling lineup.

9nein9, brit, Terry and 3 others like this.
  13. timabababaluka

As always--I will conform--we need not bring Nathalia into this. :angelic007:

14. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

February 29th
    Cooper MonoBilt
    Simpson Sovereign/ Resin
    B&M Seville
    Thayers
    Dior Eau Savage AS
    0EEF527E-C593-4EF7-AB97-B8D0C655325B.jpeg
    Finishing off favourites February with another Cooper run and the Seville. Used my new Simpson Sovereign knot from a Trafalgar T2 brush which I put into this resin handle last night. Whipped up a decent lather, but there is one potential issue...I started counting hairs in the sink and in my face lather. I stopped counting at about 7, and no, they aren’t mine... I have extracted lots of knots from brushes and do know whether I damaged a knot or no, and I really don’t think I harmed this one at all. This bears watching next shave. The splash is also new. I went to the Post Office, which has a branch in a local drug store. As I am waiting, what do I see? A few aftershaves on sale. This one, in a full 200ml glass bottle, was regularly $87 and was still in the sealed packaging for $19.99. I thought ‘What the heck, why not’ and grabbed it. Reason #217 for my Den reduction post. The scent? Heavily and nicely Citrus, especially at the start. Some earthy, greenery as well, but I wouldn’t necessarily call it a fougere. I am lousy at describing scents- anyone else have this?
    I have enjoyed sticking to 6 fave combos for the month, and have enjoyed the camaraderie on here as always. Working on a March focus.
    Have a great night all!

Primotenore, 9nein9, Trigger and 7 others like this.
  15. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Looks like you got it covered quite nicely!
    Good post!
    tp

9nein9, Trigger, brit and 5 others like this.
  16. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Lovely shave and congrats on the new aftershave, Jason!
    Sorry to hear the brush is shedding. I have a Simpson T2 ordered and I'm hoping mine doesn't suffer from premature hair loss.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

jtspartan, 9nein9, Trigger and 5 others like this.
  17. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

That's great Bill!
    The scents, many possibilities!
    Nice!
    That Schick is a fun razor,there are many dedicate fans of it too.
    tp

18. brit

brit in a box

thank you Clint,much better :eatdrink047:

9nein9, Trigger, jluc and 2 others like this.
  19. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

3ea37d0455042356dc906bed696ccf32--circus-strongman-circus-circus.jpg

tp

Primotenore, 9nein9, Trigger and 3 others like this.
  20. timabababaluka

Feb. 29
    Epilogue: “There Can Be Only Three (and One Exception… for Now)”

Today was a free shave, and I was planning to take another crack at the Variant with a feather blade (and actually set it correctly this time, cause why not?) But then Jim @Norcalnewb out of the blue offered to PIF me the Gillette Slim he won in the recent raffle. I have never seen so many thoughtful people all in one place. Ever. Seeing as today is the last day that I will be free to shave with anything other than a shavette for the next 100 or so days, I had no choice but to load up the Slim with a Feather to see what would happen...

slim.jpeg

Gear
    • Razor: Gillette Slime (set at 9)
    • Blade: Feather (2)
    • Brush: Kong
    • Soap: Barrister Reserve “Cool”
    • AS: Aqua Velva Ice Blue
    • Balm: Stirling Glacial Unscented.
    The Shave
    Mistakes were made. 1st off, throwing a Feather into a new razor (then setting it to ‘9’) was probably kind of stupid. It was surprisingly tuggy and rough. I blame myself for this. Walked away pretty smooth though. Only two passes--WTG and XTG--chin a bit rough, but BBS and DFS everywhere else. I’d call it a DFS, maybe DFS/CCS. Experiencing slight irritation though. I’m excited to see what this razor can do, but that’s not happening for another 100 days. ;)

The Showdown--Results
    The goal was to end this month owning 3 razors: the 2 best showdown razors, and then a shavette. That almost happened. Before I name the winners, I must first say that if I had to shave exclusively with just one of the razors I’m parting with, I would consider myself fortunate. Once I got things dialed in, they were all great performers--I’ll be sad to see them leave.

So what razors made the cut? I will be keeping my far-and-away favorite razor, the Flare Tip, and perhaps my poorest performer… the Parker Variant. "What, the Variant!?!" you say? Yes, for a few reasons: (a) I misadjusted the settings when I used it, so it never got a fair shake, (b) it was a gift from my mom and is actually the priciest razor I have, and (c) it will participate in a future adjustable razor showdown with the 4th razor I’m keeping for the time being… the Gillette Slim.

Further Justifications
    I know there are a lot of single edge advocates out there that are probably disappointed with this decision, and after the last half year, I understand why. The 1912 is a gorgeous, smooth shaver; it's one of my favorites. And oddly enough, I might even be more sad to let go of the MMOC. This is my 1st 30DC razor; I learned it's wily ways; and my last shave with it was truly a wonderful experience--the MMOC is just an incredible razor.

Then why let go of them? Practicality. I initially moved to SE razors because I was struggling with my DE’s. But I don’t really struggle with DE’s anymore (or at least more so than anything else ;)). When you factor in that DE blades are cheaper, easier to store and purchase, and that my shavette also uses DE blades... well, for a pragmatist/pseudo-minimalist, bringing on an additional platform just doesn’t make sense. Will I miss my GEM shavers? Heck yes--but at least I got to know them.

One last look at some worthy contenders...

cut.jpeg

BTW, I know I'm talking to a group of people that have some amazing gear, but if anyone is either interested in any of the above razors, or know someone you'd like to pass one on to, shoot me a PM. Otherwise, they're off to the Cancer Federation thrift store on the next collection day.

Gentlemen, it has been a pleasure and a privilege reading through all your posts and comments this month. Very much looking forward to all the upcoming March madness. Enjoy your weekend, everyone :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.