Too little too late?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Feb 27, 2020.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Not my image. I picked this up on another forum.
    IMG_1635.jpg

I know I personally won't be buying any of this except maybe the DE blades when this hits the stores.

brit and stuartganis like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

This coming from a company that doesn't understand what Heritage means. When you use a 3rd party to make a knock off of a modern razor and call it Heritage instead of making your own like you did for umpteenth years when you sold DE razors pretty much dried out the credibility well right there.

To add to that they make their own modern DE called the Gillette Sterling. If they had offered that as their Heritage that cheap Indian made razor would have had more credibility than the knockoff. Notice they aren't using it here either.

3. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

Who Cares?

Gillette Is Dead To Me!

brit, Dirtfarmer and gorgo2 like this.
  4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I think you're being unfair. Expecting Gillette to tool up to produce a razor that the current owners never produced is naïve. Such a self produced razor blade holder would be beyond the range of what most people would invest. I do not understand the angst toward using economies of scale. This is the new normal and we all benefit.

brit and dangermouse like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

i would try the shave soap and stuff,when is it due out?

6. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

I don't think there will be a shave soap/cream. Looks like a shave gel. I don't see a brush anywhere either. Might try the blades.

I wonder what the ad campaign will be, if they have one? A MILF Tranny getting ready to pick up a mark? "So close he'll never know, until it's too late. Gillette get the best Mark you can get."

Hembree and brit like this.
  7. ftrez

ftrez Member

There was a lot of angst over the Heritage razor that I thought was a bit too much. The general consensus on that razor seemed to be that it provided a good, mild shave. Nothing wrong with that.

brit likes this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

A. Then don't call the razor a Heritage and try to invoke imagery and concepts you are misrepresenting by defining it as such. That is false advertising.

B. Call it a Heritage and use a razor you do produce aka Gillette of India makes the Gillette 7 O'clock Sterling and revise it a little bit. That razor is worthy of being called a Heritage it is for all practical purposes a modern 3 pc tech on a knack handle and even if it is cheaply made that is also a Heritage concept. That or when you use a third party to produce the item make sure it is your engineering specs. and not theirs. Designing your own purdy handle still doesn't make it Heritage. The handle doesn't shave you, that is not where the engineering is required to make the razor shave poorly or well.

Either way what they did put out is a credibility gaffe. Maybe the great unwashed masses may not have noticed but stuff like this almost never goes completely unnoticed.

As far as tooling goes that is a drop in the bucket cost wise for a multi-billion dollar corporation though the financial department would have probably blocked it for a one off product and not long term production. That goes back to my original point just call it something else that isn't false advertising.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    brit likes this.
  9. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Not really. If you are Gillette you know what a New Gillette is and can outsource it as you like. That's different than Schick outsourcing a Gillette model. Perhaps Gillette got some input. Parker is apparently reintroducing it's "51" model. There is no American manufacturing that exists. Makes sense to outsource, but direct the design to a project manager. This is how things are done.

brit likes this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

As I said before and will reiterate Gillette of India already makes a DE razor called the Gillette 7 O'clock Sterling. They could have produced it there or through there. They didn't need to go find another partner to make a DE. I will also reiterate is not Heritage if you use a partner's engineering specs and slap your own label on it. That is a rebrand and not your own design. No matter what direction you approach it from it is false advertising calling that razor a Heritage. Moving the goal posts or playing fast and loose with definitions to suite one's needs doesn't change that fact as long as words are defined as they are and the definitions are agreed upon as the reference point.

brit likes this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

the sterling is said to be a Lord built copy of the gillette tech .kind of like a bmw built mini cooper.ah who cares..still enough vintage ones around..bring back the spoiler blades..:)

Dirtfarmer and BigD like this.