Soap recommendation

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by StuB, Mar 3, 2020.

1. StuB

StuB New Member

I’m looking for a recommendation on a new soap. I have been using and enjoying Proraso Green hard soap for years. I love the foam, feel and smell. Is there a similar quality soap with a notch or two more intensity that someone would suggest?

2. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

May I "tag-along" on this with you? I've been using Proraso Green Cream in the tube and am satisfied. But a comparable alternative would be a good thing to have.

:thanks:

timabababaluka likes this.
  3. StuB

StuB New Member

Tag along welcome!

timabababaluka and S Barnhardt like this.
  4. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Tabac, is a great choice, it's my #1 soap Second and third choice is a kilo of Cella or the refill puck of Dr. Harris.

timabababaluka, wristwatchb and Ron R like this.
  5. StuB

StuB New Member

Thanks. Can you compare it to P Green?

6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Here is some recent additions to my soap collection that are great. They cost about $2.35 per oz that is very reasonable.
    Its been a while since I have visited this thread and of coarse I have bought a few more soaps along the shaving way of life that are worth mentioning.

Part one "Top 5 great soaps you & I use" https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/top-5-great-soaps-you-i-use.59975/
    Part two "Top 5 Brush soaps Below $10US you & I use"https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/top-5-brush-shave-soaps-below-10-00us-you-i-use.59992/

Razorock "The Dead Sea" soap was purchased a few months back and I have to compliment who ever designed the fragrance and soap properties.
    I have never smelled a scent quite as unique as this one and to be honest it is one of my favorite scents in a soap. The scent is really worth the purchase by it self if you like to leave it fragrance after using it in your bathroom. This soap has changed the way I like to dispose of my lather after using all my soaps now, I will shave and with the lather that is left over I just leave it in my lathering bowl with it releasing the fragrance about in the bathroom until the next soap change.
    Scents are sometimes hard to describe and going to Italian barber they seem to get it fairly close IMO, My impression of the soap is it lathers well and protection is very reasonable and post shave is very reasonable as compared to other soaps that I can gauge from.
    The combination of Lemon ,Rosemary, Saffron, Cannabis oil & Sandal wood scents that are part of the formula give it a refreshing relaxing addictive scent that is wonderful to wake up in the morning for my daily shave.

Razorock "Santa Maria del Fiore " Firenze was purchased when they had their moving sale and this is a great soap also(one of my favorite Razorock soaps of all). The lather quality is second to none and the scent is second to none IMO. If you like tobacco, vanilla , amber, with a touch of Eucalyptus with a little Menthol thrown in for the cooling effect(not strong just right) you more than likely will enjoy this soap. I like to leave left over lather from shaving in my lathering bowl to fragrance the bathroom with this tobacco vanilla scent. When this soap comes up for my soap rotation I like it very much that thought, it gives me a smile and the scent is very unique. (It does not over power the room but is very nice to be around is the best way for me to describe my experience.)
    What ever you do don't flush the lather down the sink if using a lathering bowl because you are just wasting a great fragrance in the bathroom or shaving den.(do it later when changing soaps)
    Razorock recommends to scoop out some soap to a lathering bowl because the soap will last longer and retain its scent strength for both "The Dead Sea" & "Santa Maria del Fiore" instead of loading from the Glass container puck with a wet shave brush.
    The packaging of this soap is very interesting and is 1st glass, glass is always best for preserving any products because it is inert. (just don't drop it on your toes because it has some heft.)
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

timabababaluka and brit like this.
  7. Tallships

Tabac is a Tallow based soap as is Dr. Harris and Cella, Tabac gives ma a very rich, long lasting, slick, cuchoning lather, I puck lather in a ceramic bowl, I not only have a great lather but it lathers fast. It has a great floral scent. Even though Proraso is a great soap I like Tabac better. But that just my opinion.

8. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

When you say intensity, do you mean scent strength or menthol kick?

Regardless of which two you mean, it certainly wouldn't hurt to look into something from the Stirling Soap Company. All your bases covered right there: tons of fantastic scent profiles, many menthol offerings, and one of the best price/performance soaps around. There's a whole thread devoted to them.

9. StuB

StuB New Member

Tabac is on my list. Thanks for the nudge. I wish I could find a sample of it before I make the tub plunge...

10. Tallships

You wont be disappointed with Tabac. I just get the refill of Tabac and press it into my own ceramic bowl as I do with Arko stick and Cella (kilo). I like a deep wide bowl that fits in my hand to make my lather now days. I used to use a mug when I was using one soap like Old Spice or Williams, but now I like to spoil myself, (As long as my wife says I can:)).

11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

If you are looking for something that smells similar to Proraso Green, I am not sure what options you have as the scent is different than just about anything I have come across. Proraso is a great soap, but I think there are others out there I would rate as better. Tabac and Stirling as already mentioned, but I would also say MWF, Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements, Wholly Kaw, and Noble Otter would be a few. I would also probably say something like Pre de Provence is also a bit better than Proraso.

timabababaluka and Hembree like this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    The refill stick is cheap, and if you aren't pleased, you haven't broken the bank.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TKHYI6/?tag=thshde-20

timabababaluka and Hembree like this.
  13. StuB

StuB New Member

Ok this may be a total noob question but what is the difference between the stick and the tub? How do you use the stick, cut a slice and put it in my mug?

timabababaluka and Ron R like this.
  14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

There is no difference (Tabac) and for sure you can slice or just apply directly to the face and face lather like thousands of folks do. If you have very sensitive skin just slice some and bowl lather the way 10's of thousands do. Nothing wrong with Tabac IMO, I use Tabac and some other great soaps. Tabac has a stigma about it's scent that some do not like, I find it OK & it reminds me of mild wild flowers that have not been domesticated yet. The Scent is not overly strong and my puck I can not notice it that much because it has been in a mug for some time, I have a large rotation of soaps in my retirement.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  15. Tallships

Wet beard, rub stick on beard, use pre-soaked and shaken brush to work up lather is one way, or after prepping beard with water as you would normally, swirl stick on your normally pre-soaked brush and face lather. Arko comes in stick and canned (same soap). I prefer the cheaper stick, Extra pay for the can. I just press a stick of Arko into my own ceramic bowl and lather as a hard soap. I buy the box of 12 of Arko stick,under $2 ea. for a great soap

timabababaluka and GatorJoe like this.
  16. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Arko is a great shave soap imo, but make sure your face is really wet and and apply the soap stick with the grain; for me that’s down. Used it frequently this past month.

Ksblazer and timabababaluka like this.
  17. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I’d recommend Myrsol Formula K. It’s got a nice, strong menthol feel and smell. It lathers nicely and the chill lasts a good amount of time after the shave.

18. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Anything Stirling soap.
    Does fine in my hard water.
    The scents are a bit stronger than most.
    They offer samples and have matching AS and ASB for most.
    tp

19. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

I approve of this message.:happy088:

There’s nothing wrong with exploring the market———it’s quite fun actually——-but on limited funds and a need for guaranteed success, Stirling is absolutely where I would start. Performance is fabulous, and the scent choices are vast enough to please anyone. Buy all of the samples you can afford, and you’ll probably get a years worth of shaving from them. Then buy the full size tubs and matching AS and balms. Unfortunately (in a great way) other scents will be released during that year so you’ll constantly be tempted to try more scents. It’s a very slippery slope.:D

falconhal, Terry and timabababaluka like this.