The 'Just Three' Challenge

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by timabababaluka, Jan 20, 2020.

1. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

I've yet to try powder--as long as it doesn't smell like baby talc, I'm down. :D

2. timabababaluka

Perfect suggestions--thank you! :D

BigD likes this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Smells like Clubman AS :D

:eatdrink013:

4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Many years ago I use to like Brut ....... not anymore.

timabababaluka and MacDaDad like this.
  5. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

Many years ago I use to like the old Aqua Velva ... not anymore.. :) Many years ago I didn't like Old Spice ... and now? It's one of my favorites. Vintage pre 75 is awesome and they don't make very much of that anymore.

Enrico and timabababaluka like this.
  6. timabababaluka

Winner! ;)

Enrico likes this.
  7. timabababaluka

I still really enjoy AV.

I keep giving Old Spice a whiff, then put it back on the shelf--totally unfair considering when I first smelled Clubman out of the bottle I was like, "NEVER." Even now, I will occasionally put Clubman on and think it was a mistake to do so, but three minutes later it's a whole new smell. OS never got that same opportunity. Before the year is out I'll give OS its big break--but only what I can find at Walmart. I just don't know if I'm willing to go hunting for Shulton ;)

MacDaDad and BigD like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I didn't use like AV in the past, but now I use quite alot.

timabababaluka, MacDaDad and BigD like this.
  9. MacDaDad

Old guys are like that, ya know.. :D

brit, timabababaluka and Enrico like this.
  10. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

I use only 3. And 2 of them are used 95% of the time.

My #1 AS splash is TSD Bourbon & Vanilla. My wife loves it & prefers I only wear a few scents so I can have, as she calls it, a signature scent.
    #2: Lucky Old Man, my homemade splash. My formula is 12 parts Pinaud Clubman, 6 parts Lucky Tiger, 1 part Old Spice. I use this because it has the classic Clubman scent with more to it than just the Clubman scent.
    #3: Clubman. Seldom used but I still like that classic scent

I have a few others, Prorasso Green being used the most in the unused often category, in summertime.

BigD, Enrico, MacDaDad and 2 others like this.
  11. timabababaluka

An olfactory alchemist--that's awesome! Out of curiosity, how much tinkering around in the lab did you have to do before you came across that ratio? And were there any epic fails?

Bourbon Vanilla actually sounds quite nice, and because I don't imagine there's a whole lot of that floating around now, it's got to be pretty distinctive. :D

MacDaDad likes this.
  12. MacDaDad

I'll have to give your custom blend a try sometime. I thoroughly enjoy concocting the various scents I have. Actually, the three in your custom blend are my everyday favorites.

Thanks.. :)

dmshaver likes this.
  13. MacDaDad

If by chance do you cook? If you do, haven't you eaten lots of mistakes, I know I have.. ;) Besides, isn't that how we learn? :)

timabababaluka likes this.
  14. timabababaluka

:happy102:

Some of my mistakes were not edible. In fact, one time I had to throw away the cook pot I was using as well... wish I was joking about that ;)

MacDaDad likes this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

The problem isn't making something you can't stand ..... it's making something that people like alot and can't figure out how to make again. :signs002:

:signs081:

MacDaDad and timabababaluka like this.
  16. timabababaluka

Oddly enough, I have that problem with cooking too :happy102:

Silvestris, Enrico and MacDaDad like this.
  17. MacDaDad

I had the problem of what to call it. Actually I can throw together some good grub but it isn't for the masses, just for myself. ;) Ya ever hear mmmm that's good, what is it? I have. :)

18. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

One of the first aftershave splashes I ordered online was Summer Storm from Chiseled Face. I found it paired well with a lot of soaps I like.
    Proraso splash (the green stuff) is a good one- the scent fades fast and is fairly non-specific.
    Razorock XXX goes with any Italian citrus style soap, and there's a ton of those out there, but I find the scent strength to be pretty strong.

Bonus- Maol Grooming Frankenlime will match any lime soap well and it's very moisturizing and "low burn"

19. timabababaluka

Great suggestions! I'll definitely have to check out the Frankenlime, because lime and bergamot tend to act like lava on my face :happy102:

20. The situational shaver

The situational shaver Well-Known Member

Instead of dividing that way, why not go by ‘situation’?
    I don’t know where you live but, depending on the humidity levels, that should determine the a.s.
    On an extremely humid day, a plain alcohol splash would be in order.
    On a really dry day, when you’re skin is feeling ‘tight’, and dry, an a.s. with glycerin is nice.
    And when it’s not real humid, or when you’re skin is ‘tight’, and it is humid, propylene, or butylene
    glycol is the ticket. The right a.s. for the right ‘situation’.