British Gillette Case Restore............

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jimjo1031, Mar 7, 2020.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

This was one of the cases @Jrdelgado wanted me to work on. I took a few pics, didn't want to make this pic heavy. The first pic is of the way I got it. The next two you can see how it looked after working on it. First I removed what cover material there was. I removed what rust I could with my rotary tool, and then used Naval Jelly to get to areas I couldn't. I took a slight chance to remove the hinge to do this the right way. It's shown after I started to work on the top cover................
    20200227_020545.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.jpg

For the bottom lining which is thick paper, I re-glued what was loose and did touch up from the paint I mixed. I made it as close to the original color, which is a blackish green, like the inside color. Then cleared it. The top really didn't need work, except a clear coat. It brought out the logo better. The outside work is done in pretty much the way I've done other cases, Gem, Ever-Ready, etc. Using a thin cloth material and adding a bunch of color coats and smooth it out later with a very fine sanding sponge and then clear it. This case wasn't available on @mr-razor's site, possibly for a British Tech of some kind. Maybe @brit might have an idea. Fot the last pic, I used my #44 Flat Bottom Tech with slim handle to show what it looks like with a razor.............
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    EDIT: Guess I'm blind, just saw the set at @mr-razor''s site, ooops.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    Dirtfarmer, Enrico and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

cool french empire good will.case..nice work.. 1931-1935 Goodwill French Set.jpg

jimjo1031 likes this.
  3. jimjo1031

Thank you Gary. And thanks for letting me know what razor goes in it.

brit likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

glad i could help..the also came with a alligator/croc/lizard design on the outside.. images (7).jpg

Enrico and jimjo1031 like this.
  5. jimjo1031

Yes, @Jrdelgado sent me a pic of that type of case but no razor.

brit likes this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

here's mine.. 20200307_130307.jpg 20200307_130326.jpg

Dirtfarmer, Enrico and jimjo1031 like this.
  7. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Excellent work Jim! Thank you! The case came with a ballend NEW flat bottom with the French import Stamp. I know someone could have changed razors but I wonder if it could be correct?
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enrico, brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  8. jimjo1031

Thanks, and it is possible.

9. brit

brit in a box

could well be the correct razor.there was a new empire set as well,and a french version.the 7 oclock razor is the basis for the flat bottom like yours and was french originally i think. 1930s Empire Set England.jpg 1930s Empire Set England (1).jpg

10. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Thank you Gary. I really like this set.

brit likes this.