What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Wife’s traveling, so spending time with stones. Suehiro 1k turned over to these two Coticules for this Smith & Hall out of Sheffield.
    8438137C-96C6-47D5-BD4B-33DEB46386FE.jpeg
    The range of use of that bottom Coticule is really nice.

Then shifted to a couple of German razors. Figured a Thuringian made sense to finish, so added a 6k Suehiro between the 1k and this Thuri.
    1E8C0749-DCE6-463A-9757-D2076AEC785A.jpeg
    A Globusmen 23 and a F.A. Koch & Co. “Faultless”
    I have seen both Globusmann and Globusmen... and now both in one spot :)
    EFD509C2-1C4C-429E-8E6D-59D6B45AFF0C.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

2. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Been driving my shavettes a lot lately and this razor was calling.

Found in an antique store for $18, I was mesmerized by the mother of pearl shank and tang. John Jay markings.

Got the rust that I could, but some pitting remained. I gave it an edge that shaved, but I wanted better.

Worked it on a black ark with ballastol. Aside from a shave test, a thumbpad test has been my best indicator. I just couldn't get the heel portion balanced with the toe until I used a few trailing strokes. A little pressure at first then lighter, then light full edge strokes, leading and trailing. Couple of pasted strops, then mounted roo.

Off to the shave. I'm much happier now. Nice!

20200307_154904-1.jpeg

3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

That’s sweet!

Keithmax likes this.
  4. TestDepth

Kept going... same synthetic progression but shifted to a JNat finish - Okudo with that Nakayama making the mud.
    635D247E-1563-483C-B47D-BD6903053AF9.jpeg
    The Filly is still a basket case (even after quite a bit of cosmetic work) but the edge looks and feels nice. Should be a good shaver.
    Happy honing.
    Tom

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Sometimes the gold cannot be saved, to make the rest look good.

Steve56, Edison Carter and TestDepth like this.
  6. TestDepth

I’m stubborn :) ... next step is using a pencil to hit the smaller sections. I actually don’t mind how it looks now. I knew this would be ugly, but I felt confident I could get the edge, and that’s why I pulled the trigger.

7. TestDepth

One more session for the weekend... big German blades.
    “Pride of Bronx” & a Herder 49 in black
    F0DF9D00-2DA7-4941-9A3D-45F26641DB8C.jpeg
    The Bronx razor was a gem, got to start on this Suehiro 6k. The Herder was a little more work... middle 1/4 near the point needed some love. Rolling X and coming off the stone brought it in line. Finished on the Okudo with Nakayama tomo.
    Happy honing.
    Tom

8. atbat82

atbat82 Well-Known Member

I spent a good part of the weekend honing this CV Heljstrand MK No. 07. This was another eBay gamble and possibly a mistake to buy . It took me 4-5X longer than normal to set the bevel, I know Swedish Steel is hard, but this was a whole different issue. The back side of the blade just didn’t want to sit on the hones, while the front side glided along as if stuck by a magnet. Thanks to some help from Mark and Glen, I didn’t throw the razor across the room. Instead I started working in 45 minute chunks of time. After 45 minutes, I put it down and either grabbed a different razor or went to do something else for a while.

Eventually, through some contortions and a lot of patience, I finally got a good bevel. TNT and TPT the full length of the edge. I was going to stop at this point and do a 1k shave test, but I was way too excited. I should still go back and do that at some point.

The toe and heel seem a little off, as even moving up through the progression, I had to spend a lot of extra time on these areas on the back of the blade. Again, the front honed like it was stuck to the stones. I took up through 12k, then based on my last go round with a Friodur, decided to finish on a Nakayama. I raised some slurry and gave it about 40 very light laps diluting every 5 or so strokes.

[​IMG]

The final test was obviously this morning’s shave and I have to say, I’m pleased with the results. If I was rating myself, I’d give me a 7.5/10. There’s one small section on the heel on the back that felt like it was pulling ever so slightly. All in all, given how much trouble it gave me, I’m happy!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax, M14Shooter, Steve56 and 4 others like this.
  9. speedster

speedster Well-Known Member

Way to persevere on that blade, Tom, as I’m sure I would have given up much sooner. Problem blades scream work rather than zen/fun for me. ;)

atbat82, Steve56 and Edison Carter like this.
  10. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Way to stick with it!

speedster, atbat82 and Steve56 like this.
  11. DaltonGang

Blue Steel Special
    By: The Herold Bros Co. Cleveland OH.
    5/8th Extra Hollow Ground

This razor isn't mine, but a fellow members. I did have to take it back to the Norton 1K. It took a while to form a proper bevel. From there it went to the King 1K(really feels like a 2K+). Then a Cheap mystery 3k/8k stone. After that, the bevel was beautiful. I then did everything else on a very hard JNAT, with various Nagura slurry stones. I then stropped it up, and tested it on some very fine hairs. It popped the HHT, root in or out, down the entire length of the blade. This is one wickedly sharp blade now.

P3101315.JPG

12. DaltonGang

Wade & Butcher, "Special"
    Sheffield England
    6/8th
    Extra Hollow Ground

This had a bit of corrosion all over, especially on the bevel. It took a lot of work on the Norton 320 grit stone, to work it out. I then progressed easily through the rest, and finished on a hard JNAT with various Nagura slurry stones. Same as above, in progression. Very very nice edge, after I finished.

P3101317.JPG

Keithmax, M14Shooter, atbat82 and 4 others like this.
  13. DaltonGang

Filarmonica 14
    "Doble Temple"
    Jose Monserrat Pou
    Spain
    "El Fauno" 50-71. Paraguay.

It was fairly sharp to begin with, but needed to go back to the 1k. It took a little longer than expected, the steel is very hard. Same progression as the above razors. The only issue was that it required twice the time on the linen and leather, because of the steel. In the end, it is extremely sharp, toe to heel. Oh, this has one of the tiniest bevels I have ever seen, because the spine is fairly thick. Before I did anything to the blade, the scales had to be modified. One side was broken at the pivot area, so reshaping was in order. Is I ever find some nice Fily scales to swap, I will toss these.

P3101316.JPG

14. alex1921

alex1921 Well-Known Member

Took the Maxfli back to the stones. First on the suita with DN slurry. This is the finest suita I have, sunashi, no su (holes). You can easily shave coming off of it.
    Then to this really hard old school kiita with koma and then an equally hard and beautiful tomo. Finished on slurry, there wasn't much of it. No dilutions.
    Shave was spectacular.

IMG_4094.jpg IMG_4095.jpg IMG_3290.jpg

Keithmax, atbat82, Steve56 and 5 others like this.
  15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

This was actually a test of the piece of koma nagura that’s for a friend of mine. Last night I honed up 2 Gold Monkeys the same up through the koma nagura, then I finished one of them on the finisher. The shave was this morning and the edges felt identical, so the koma is fine (and fast) and not diminishing the edge from either stone.

6252D32F-2AC1-4020-BAC8-D6EF5FA3347E.jpeg

16. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

im new to jnats. i have so much to learn... if koma finish and finisher alone provide same to similar edge, and koma does not improve edge over finisher.... In my novice head makes me question .....Is koma nagura necessary?

Steve56 and Edison Carter like this.
  17. DaltonGang

Calling all JNAT Guru's.

Leclec13 and Edison Carter like this.
  18. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

Anyone close to kern county california that can help me with honing? This is the second razor that after stropping shaves cheeks great and feels like I shaved my neck with sandpaper. I no longer think it's just a foil edge. I think my cheeks just are not as sensitive as my neck.

Edison Carter likes this.
  19. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

Haven’t you historically had issues with neck? Have you ever had a shave that did not irritate neck? If rest of face shaves fine. I doubt it is razor? Have you tired neck with lower angle? What is your post shave routine? Are you shaving neck first?

Edison Carter likes this.
  20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Koma is not usually considered as a razor finishing tomo. I was just comparing it to a finisher to try and gage the fineness of this particular piece. No, it is not necessary. It can, IMHO, take the place of an 8k synth and that is what I mostly used it for. IOW, synth to 4-5k, koma on hard finisher, then tomo on finisher. These days I usually just use a fast kiita as a pre-finisher after 4-5k synth. There’s nothing magic about koma, but Mikawa can be fun to use.