What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

I have and at the moment I have 5 razors that I do not get any irritation on my neck. I know now it has to be something I'm not doing correctly.

BearCWY and Edison Carter like this.
  2. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

Learned something new. I assumed Koma were used as finisher.... especially with the high cost of them. Thanks for the information.

3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Koma costs a lot because it’s used as the next to last stone in sword polishing. Uchigumori is the last stone. Both will bring a good bit if they’re large and pure, especially uchigumori for which there is no substitute. Koma brings more in the west than in Japan, small pure pieces in Japan aren’t that expensive, but it costs a lot to ship rocks around the world.

BearCWY, Edison Carter and speedster like this.
  4. speedster

speedster Well-Known Member

I found most of my neck irritation resulted from using too steep of a shaving angle when transitioning from under the jaw to the neck proper. That’s a big curve to navigate and I needed to flatten the angle considerably (difficult to see the angle because you’re looking straight into the face of the blade, not from the side). Once I made that change, neck irritation became much less of an issue.

BearCWY, Edison Carter and Suhrim21 like this.
  5. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

During the winter I keep a short beard so I am only shaving the bottom of my neck. But before I grew it out it did take a while to learn how to keep the shallow angle when transitioning from jaw line to neck. I would say that was the second hardest to learn. I did try and shaved off the goatee and that was a real challenge shaving the chin.

BearCWY, M14Shooter, Steve56 and 2 others like this.
  6. alex1921

alex1921 Well-Known Member

Quick hone and shave tonight. Wasn't planning it but got bored.
    GD on hard kiita using suita tomo, middle stone, followed by koma, left stone, and finished on very light tomo slurry.
    Shave was pretty good, almost BBS with 2 passes.

IMG_3292.jpg IMG_3293.jpg

BearCWY, Keithmax, Leclec13 and 5 others like this.
  7. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Glad to see more 133 love, it’s a cracking razor! Case, Ludo, or Morris variant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BearCWY likes this.
  8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

It’s a Case.

Re-visiting some old friends since my Sonoma visit, a softer and very pure stone that’s just fun to hone on. The HHT was excellent!

79C6717F-7DC9-4B75-99D4-AE58072259DE.jpeg

9. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

I should have guessed it was a case, from the blued tang and the color red on the scales. Very nice!

BearCWY, Steve56 and TestDepth like this.
  10. atbat82

atbat82 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Killed the edge on this and took it back to the 1k. Got a good bevel set and then took it through a Naniwa progression through 12k. I need to work on my technique, because at every stone, the heel and toe needed extra attention. I used a loupe and a sharpie and could tell I was missing small sections at each end. I corrected before moving onto the next stone, but, to be honest, it got tedious. I’m fairly sure the geometry on this razor is good because it’s fairly new and PRC has a good reputation (and because I’ve had similar issues with other razors). I finished with a few dozen laps with a light slurry on a Nakayama.

At the end this passed TPT with a scary sharp edge. It also passed HHT after stropping (I forgot to test before stropping). The shave was exceeding comfortable, but not very close. I might try shaving with this again tomorrow and see if today was just a bad day. If I don’t have better results, I’ll start over.

I’m probably not “advanced” enough to be using jnats at this point, but damn the feedback is addicting. I almost find the Naniwas too soft...

11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

You’re experience level is fine for jnats, almost all of them are easy to use. That’s not to say that they’re all the same though....

As far as toes and heels go, you're not alone, and you might not ever get to the point that you can pick up any of your razors and nail the toe and heel without a little extra attention to them. Many used razors have worn toes as a result of agressive barber hones used by aggressive barbers the way they’re taught to hone,

12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Checking out an Ozuku stamped hone for a friend of mine, and a koma nagura. Razors were his ERN and a Gold Monkey. Nice large hone for sure, razor grade.

BEE6A1C5-2B8D-481F-9435-FA89EA1A99E3.jpeg

13. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Fooling around with an eBay special, an M. Jung, nothing out of the ordinary, just a nice old user. But with a rep for good steel. I took it from 2k and 4k Shapton Glass to the pretty pale green Nakayama with slurry from an unlabeled koma that’s fine enough to finish with, then with a new tomo from Alex Gilmore. HHT was silent root in or out. The old gal is still hanging in there with the best of them.

790C3141-3596-4518-8C41-5E4D1578027B.jpeg

Attached Files:

14. alex1921

alex1921 Well-Known Member

I was oiling an ivory box I picked at an auction some time ago and realized I had left a razor in it. One of my earlier restos which in all honesty needs to be redone. The pinning is not the best, the blade needs to be re touched and sanded some more.
    Put the razor on this kiita with koma and super hard tomo. This stone is softer than the one few post above so it raises slurry fairly easily. It put an awesome edge on the iwasaki. My left cheek grows hair in funny directions so ATG I have to go in 3 directions to get a real ATG. Zero sting from alum or AS.

IMG_3337.jpg

15. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Can't wait to get the two open ones on the stones

[​IMG]

One is a Custom made by my friend Roy at the TX Meet Up , we have to see how she shaves before we go farther with Scales and polishing etc:
    The other is a sweet W&B that @BearCWY sent out, I think I might have to call the police because he stole it :p

Hone on !!!

16. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

Thanks @gssixgun I just got lucky with a generous seller

Edison Carter and Jamie Mahoney like this.
  17. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Found this Italian razor, from Cuggiono, outside of Milan. I haven’t placed my hands on too many Italian razors, and not saying this couldn’t be a German blade for the Italian market, but Cuggiono is all I have to go on.

L. Brasca took kindly to the Suehiro 1k to set the bevel & the 6k to refine. Then used the pictured Okudo to finish.

A66D18BC-EC9B-4904-99FE-E39927707910.jpeg
    All ready for the weekend.
    Happy honing.
    Tom

18. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

First serious trial honing last night with the refurb stone project, just a test Monkey with the usual tomo that I use. HHT was impressive, shave in a few minutes.

246151F4-D0F9-4309-9627-CBEA5DF2B0E7.jpeg

19. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

"Hey Buddy, you're looking kinda pale and weak, you sure you can still cut it?"
    "Listen up, Pup, I may be scarred and worn but my bevel is as thin as yours and I'm sharp as hell. I can cut whatever comes my way"
    [​IMG]

20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Honed up the 6/8 E. A. Berg using 1 mil Kapton, extremely hard steel, the Shapton Glass didn’t cut the steel that quickly. Progression was 2k, 4k Shapton Glass, my fast pre-finisher (which is perfectly capable of finishing, I use it to pre-finish because it’s so fast). Then the newly re-furbed finisher that I’ve recently posted. The razor HHTed magnificently through the progression from 2k on. Yet maybe just a tiny bit weak on the show side middle even though increased the stroke count for the super hard steel. I’ll shave test tomorrow, and if it needs a little more time on the rocks, that’s not a problem. Quality steel like this can go a long time once their properly honed.

85D69DC7-9C5A-4CFA-8128-ED73D10C5DBA.jpeg