Advice needed please

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Atlantic01, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Atlantic01

Atlantic01 New Member

Why do I have such difficulty with facial hair and shaving? I am unable to grow a moustache properly, the edges grow a lot quicker than the rest of my face. And I am unable to get a good shave of the moustache area after trying both with and against the grain. Both just leave it looking like an unclean shave compared to the rest of my face and I am left with just 2 dark patches that look stupid. I use the Gillette canned shaving cream and 5 blade razor. Thank you.

Attached Files:

BigMike and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Howdy. How long have you gone without shaving, just to see how good of a mustache or goatee you end up with?

3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Welcome to The Shave Den.
    Head over to the Welcome Center https://theshaveden.com/forums/forums/welcome-center.28/ and introduce yourself.

It's not uncommon to have uneven beard growth/density. I had the same moustache issue when I was growing facial hair and mostly I just had to wait for the rest to catch up so I ended up looking scruffy for awhile. And then one time I took advantage of it and grew a Fu Manchu (not sure how to spell that).

When clean shaven I also had the same trouble getting close at the moustache edges but after several months of traditional wet shaving with a double edge razor my technique improved to the point where it's not a problem any more. I took a lot of advice but mostly what cured it was me learning how to handle a razor and working various angles and stretching the skin. For some reason I was never able to achieve that with a multi-blade cartridge.

I will tell you though that I dealt with some good razor burn and a few nicks along the way but eventually I learned which faces to make to stretch my upper lip just right to match my blade angle and now it's not an issue.

Again, welcome to the Den. Poke around the forums a bit and chime in whenever. This is a really good group and there's a lot of knowledgeable friendly folks to interact with.

4. Atlantic01

Atlantic01 New Member

I have left it a week before (see pic attached) but then I had to go back to work unfortunately. Sorry it’s not the best picture.

Attached Files:

5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I see that you have dark hair and light skin.
    That makes it harder to make it look like you shaved, at all.
    A double edge safety razor can help with that.
    But understand there is some learning involved to that.
    As stated above....
    Look around here.
    IF you decide to go that way.
    Watch some video's on "wet shaving".
    Be careful what you watch, some are worthless.
    Google manic59 and go to his blog .
    Sharpologist
    Search his site, it has some good info that is current and helpful.
    Good luck

tp

Atlantic01 and gorgo2 like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Just my opinion but I see more than enough potential for a decent beard and/or stache, if that's what you want and can give it the time. You have darker hair and a little heavier follicle coverage than I do, and I do okay with what I've got. Yours would be fine once it fills out. I think you'd be pleasantly suprised.

BTW, how old are you? My beard really didn't come to fill out as much as it now can until I was about 30. Your genes may need a little more time to kick in.

Atlantic01 and Terry like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

From the nose down you look like the actor Eric Bana. Anybody ever tell you that?

8. Atlantic01

Atlantic01 New Member

Thank you all. I’m going to try and give it a couple of weeks to grow and see how it looks

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Give it a solid month or more if you can. A few weeks in, it will look unkempt and disappointing... you'll get the urge to mow it back to square one. Try to resist it.

Enrico, Terry and Atlantic01 like this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It would help to know what ou are doing now. What type of razor & shave products do you use? What Is your prep process?

11. Atlantic01

Atlantic01 New Member

I have been applying a face wash gel and hot water for a few minutes, then applied plenty of shaving cream, and then I use a 5 blade razor. I go with the grain for the beard and have no issues. However, if I go with the grain for the moustache area, it barely shaves anything at all. So I end up having to go against the grain. I get a closer shave this way, however it definitely leaves a dark patch compared to the rest of my face, and is more susceptible to cuts and irritation. It is also more sensitive and I have a better shave the longer I leave it, but it also looks more ridiculous too with the middle not growing, so I don’t usually leave it longer than a couple of days. But as I say, even straight after shaving, it still looks like I have a moustache.

BigMike and Terry like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011:

Terry likes this.
  13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Have you considered switching to a double-edge safety razor, soap & a brush? Lots of guys get closer and more comfortable shaves than hey would with shave cream & multi-blade razors.

BigMike, gorgo2 and Enrico like this.
  14. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Personally canned goop never gave me a good shave, neither did a cartridge razor. With any shave it is important to get and keep beard hydrated with any type razor used, Before I lather and shave I soak my beard with a soaked hot water washcloth for 30 sec. to min. This softens the beard and along with a good slick lather lets the blade cut the hairs easily.

15. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

It looks like you've really over-shaved in your mustache area. The 5 blade razors will do that to you.

I'm not trying to convert you, but a WTG + XTG pass under your nose with a safety razor will get you looking clean in that area (as it will on the rest of your face).

It needn't be expensive to start either. You could be all set up with razor, soap, brush, after shave for under $40.