The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

The tru edge is a nice razor just I still prefer japanese blades. I fond it hard to find german blades that give the same shave as a japanese. I just have to take the time and make the for sale thread over here.

2. speedster

speedster Well-Known Member

Thanks @Suhrim21 and Steve! Of all the countries which produced razors, Japanese ones are easily my favorite. And their most common size/grind — 13/16, half-hollow — suits me perfectly. With these additions I now have a few backup Tanifuji razors — mission accomplished! :)

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Diamondine No.7
    M.E.Reppenhagen, NY
    Made in Germany
    6/8th Full Hollow

In the raw, as I opened it, and how it came in today. It looked a little bad, on the auction, but in person, it looks fantastic. Just a little tarnishing, no rust. The spine and bevel look really nice too. It should only require minimal stone work.

P3091310.JPG

P3091311.JPG

Steve56, Keithmax, RezDog and 8 others like this.
  4. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

Ok you cant say that and not post all of them

Karl G, Steve56 and M14Shooter like this.
  5. speedster

speedster Well-Known Member

Ha! I’m sure you’ve seen the MaxFli Gold 100 and Command No. 68 in other posts of mine — either honing or SOTD. But these others weren’t technically recent acquisitions, so I’m simply honoring the vein of the thread topic. ;)

6. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

I've got a question for you all in here. I have a strange situation on hand. Can you consider a razor a new acquisition if you've had it almost 2 years but was just recently PIFed it. Here is the situation a member on here loaned me a razor to try, we lost touch and recently connected again. I told him I have not forgot about the loan and I loved shaving with it. He told me if I liked it that much he would PIF it to me. So that's my dilemma, I've had possession of it for almost 2 years but was just recently PIFed the razor.

Keithmax, Edison Carter and esvh like this.
  7. DaltonGang

If you haven't posted it before, and you want, post it. No real rules.

esvh and BearCWY like this.
  8. BearCWY

Well here is is! This was to me a very generous Loan and PIF. The PIF part I was not expecting when I recently contacted the gentleman that initially loaned me the razor to try back in Sept. of 2018. I felt bad because I had not stayed in contact with him all this time, I couldn't find how to contact him. Then I remembered that on here I could look back on Private conversations and find who it was. So I did and contacted him about the razor. I will reveal this razor but not who loaned and PIFed to me. He can speak up if he wishes and I do hope he does.
    It is a Filarmonica Jose Monserrat Pou 13 5/8 hollow ground razor. As I said a very generous loan and PIF. It had some issues that he corrected before sending me the razor. because of him I fell in love with Fili's

DSCN1088 (2).JPG DSCN1089 (2).JPG DSCN1090 (2).JPG

Karl G, TestDepth, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  9. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

This razor is very interesting to me...
    3218F157-7E7D-4E21-80DB-F532BD87C277.jpeg
    Only has a diamond with 37 inside. “Solingen” and 302 in the reverse.
    6988A790-6B3D-442D-8C25-541146131357.jpeg
    This was the 2nd time I had seen it come up for sale. Missed it the first time but not this time.

Sold as a Puma, but I wasn’t sure. I really didn’t care too much because the price seemed great for a 3 pin, French point, German razor... but would be nice if it was a Puma.

It has a box that says “Puma The Solingen,” so that could match the reverse tang, but I can’t say I understand the 37 on the front and the 302 on the reverse. Then I found this...
    0F8B158F-8CFF-4F01-9AAA-86FBE809A062.jpeg
    So a diamond and 37 do have a connection with the Puma brand.

Another selling point was that it was a clone of the Puma 18, which I very much enjoy... so let’s compare.
    AA321EE3-E71E-4F79-9B9D-6E9253C5C4B0.jpeg
    Looking good so far.
    B12A638F-A662-4E13-95B4-E3CCCE6759A3.jpeg
    Shape matches but the 37 does feel heavier, and you can see that in the grind.
    9265AD61-711A-45D5-A0BE-ECCC52609304.jpeg
    All in all, I think this is a Puma, and a pretty cool addition to the collection.
    Happy hunting,
    Tom

Karl G, DrStrange, RezDog and 7 others like this.
  10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:love055:

Karl G, BearCWY and speedster like this.
  11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

It’s not a Puma. It’s a Pakistani knock off. I’ll IM you my address so you can rid yourself of the shame :D

Karl G, BearCWY, Steve56 and 4 others like this.
  12. TestDepth

Keith, man I’m sure glad you are always looking out for me! :eatdrink047:

Spyder, Keithmax, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  13. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Nicely done!

Karl G, BearCWY, esvh and 1 other person like this.
  14. TestDepth

Thanks Bill.

Karl G, BearCWY and Edison Carter like this.
  15. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

I like the finer jimps on your new razor.
    What does "Puma Steel" mean anyway?

16. TestDepth

Thank you. I always thought it was marketing.

Karl G, esvh, BearCWY and 1 other person like this.
  17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Agree, ‘Puma Steel’ is not a term that’s likely to be used by engineers. ‘Frozen Steel’ however, indicates an ice-hardened or cryogenically treated steel and actually means something.

Karl G, esvh, Edison Carter and 2 others like this.
  18. DaltonGang

J.A.Henckels
    TwinWerks
    Solingen Germany
    11/16th
    Extra Hollow

P3161321.JPG

P3161322.JPG

19. BearCWY

Guys I just was able to get a holy grail razor for me, I can hardly believe it! Got on ebay last night so I haven't actually got it yet, but man I'm excited! It's a 15/16 Wade & Butcher FBU ( For Barbers Use ) Razor! All original even with it's box. I asked a couple of friends on mine (@gssixgun and Jamie Mahoney) when they thought it was made and both agreed around the 1850s. It says "Wade & Butcher For Barbers Use " on the tang. I have been wanting a FBU for almost 3 years! Well here are a few pics from the listing I can share.
    W&B FBU.jpg W&B FBU2.jpg W&B FBU3.jpg W&B FBU4.jpg
    The listing said it was professionally honed and never used after. I am going to send it to @gssixgun to have it polished and rehoned. Have I said how excited I am to get this? I asked @gssixgun about what he thought it was worth in it's current condition, he said about $200. I had to laugh at myself and say cool. I got it for only $120!:happy093: :bounce015: :bounce017: :happy108:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  20. TestDepth

Congratulations! Great feeling when that Holy Grail arrives in your hands. Beautiful. :eatdrink047:
    Tom