The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Congrats on your Holy Grail find.

esvh, TestDepth and BearCWY like this.
  2. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

:signs011: Congratulations!

TestDepth and BearCWY like this.
  3. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

Thank you all, I just won it last night so it's not in my hands yet but soon will be. I will update when it is!
    I have many fine razors. I have a lot I enjoy shaving with, but this one I never thought I would get at this time. It will be in my top 5 razors I own and will never be sold.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    Karl G, Edison Carter, esvh and 2 others like this.
  4. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

Congrats on getting that.

Karl G, esvh, BearCWY and 1 other person like this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Congratulations, Bear!

Karl G, BearCWY and TestDepth like this.
  6. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Congrats......... beautiful piece!

Karl G, BearCWY, esvh and 1 other person like this.
  7. BearCWY

Thank you all!

esvh, Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  8. esvh

esvh Well-Known Member

A Monopol straight razor.

I like framebacks and shoulderless razors. I can't explain I just do.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. BearCWY

The Wade & Butcher FBU arrived today! I will strop and test shave today or tomorrow with it to see if it was truly shave ready! There was a little damage to the scales I found, a small worm hole in one on one side that can not be seen in my or his photos. But for a razor from 1850's or older I'm not going to complain for the price I gave for it!

DSCN1093 (2).JPG DSCN1094 (2).JPG DSCN1095 (2).JPG DSCN1099 (3).JPG

Edison Carter, Karl G, RezDog and 5 others like this.
  10. BearCWY

Test shave tonight and it failed. :( It may have been my lather or about the weeks worth of growth I had. I will try again in a day or two. If it doesn't do better if's off to Glen ( @gssixgun ) to hone. But I have it here and I measured the blade and it's between 15/16 and 8/8, so what 31/32, LOL
    ;)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Bear, congratulations, it looks like you make a great find.

12. BearCWY

To be honest I don't believe I made a great find. I found a wonderful person eBay that gave me a fantastic deal on a razor I have been wanting for a long time. A minor update on the FBU, it's not 15/16 it's 31/32 almost an 8/8. I would imagine it was an 8/8 or bigger when new.

Edison Carter, GAW9576 and Karl G like this.
  13. DaltonGang

WH.Morley & Son. Clover Brand.
    "Hamburg Ground"
    Germany
    11/16+ inch
    3/4 Hollow Ground

In all its rusty glory. Nothing wiped off yet. It has little hone wear. Also, it is in the "Sweet Spot Range", for the size I like. These Clover Brand razors usually take a great edge. It is a fixer-upper, with the minor rusting, but, for $15, it should turn into a nice blade(when I can get to it).

P3211325.JPG

P3211326.JPG

14. BearCWY

Nice Razor, congrats! Did you get it on eBay?

Karl G, GAW9576 and DaltonGang like this.
  15. DaltonGang

Yes, and thanks.
    Ebay, is my online Flea Market. In my area, I would have to drive 30-45 minutes, and pay $50, for the same $15 razor. And that $15 included shipping.

Karl G, GAW9576 and BearCWY like this.
  16. BearCWY

I though I saw that one on there! almost bid on it before I found my FBU. No choice there, hehehe

17. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

Tripoli Special
    [​IMG]

Suhrim21, Edison Carter, esvh and 7 others like this.
  18. DaltonGang

Love the scales.

Steve56, esvh, BearCWY and 3 others like this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I have too many razors and don’t buy cheap ones that I know need work anymore because I don’t have the skills that Scott has, but I’m not against rolling the dice on a cheaply priced razor that could turn out nicely - as this one did. Arrived this morning. It was described as a Berg Gersta Martin, and the images of the blade were dark, so maybe corrosion, but the shark and ‘Skydds Marke’ etching looked well defined. The bid was at $22.50 so I bid $26.50 and got it for $23.50.

What I got was a 6/8 E. A. Berg frameback in almost new condition. The blade was dark in the images because it’s blued, and the blueing is unworn and 98%. That tells me that the razor is almost new because the blueing doesn’t stay uniform on a razor in use. The blueing is actually darker than it appears in the images. It’s stamped ‘Sweden’ on the pile side frame, and the scales are collarless hard rubber similar to another Berg that I have, so somewhere likely around 1915.

This would be made of Bessemer process steel (martensitic) from the Āngelberg works in Fagersta, Sweden I believe. The steel is very, very, hard. Anyway, I made out like a bandit on this one, and I’m fond of framebacks.

823EA8DC-A579-4A16-BE95-1A8E2EC5E510.jpeg

20. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

One time, at band camp, I opened bidding correctly guessing
    that the highest bid against me would be some number of dollars
    and fifty cents, so I set my maximum bid to that number of dollars
    and fifty one cents, and won by one cent.
    I consider that event to be a sign of my excessive familiarity with the ebay razor trade,
    and it still bothers me that I was ever able to do that.

I like the shark.