MuhleR41 2013 vs IKon Tech

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Mar 19, 2020.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

i have been using the R41 for the past 3 weeks exclusively. I picked up an IKon a week ago. So today was my first go with it.

I found the R41 to be a really nice efficient razor. I had no issues using it. BUT this IKon is a BEAST. Extremely efficient. By that I mean I had a 4 pass shave with ZERO irritation. Probably one of the closest shaves with a DE I have ever had. But, this is UNFORGIVING! It sliced of a few small bumps on my face like nothing. I also have some deep neck creases that I have to contend with. So I got one nick in the crease.

This IKon is a true no pressure razor. It will take a bit to get used to. But it will be a keeper.
    Tech
    [​IMG]
    R41
    [​IMG]

jmudrick, PanChango, steve207 and 2 others like this.
  2. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

Yes indeed I own them both and will echo your observations! The iKon has only one purpose...to obliterate stubble on contact. So good but you must be completely awake to partake in that shave.

cliffb599 and twhite like this.
  3. LaneP

LaneP Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting your findings, I've never used an Ikon.

I love the R41. What I've discovered is in order to get the best results, the blade needs to be super sharp. So that means usually only one or two shaves per blade (which is fine, they're cheap).

The Perma-Sharp is my go-to blade for the R41. A brand new Perma-Sharp in the R41 gives me a super close, smooth and all-day lasting shave.

Somnos, twhite and cliffb599 like this.
  4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Did another shave with the IKon. 4 pass smooth as silk shave. It takes some concentration not to slice yourself. I had to incorporate some cap riding and some bar riding on the neck creases. 2 weepers that show up 10 minutes post shave. What the heck!

The blade had 4 shaves on it. Next shave Sunday I will load a bit milder blade. I will try an Astra.

Somnos and jmudrick like this.
  5. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

Yes Tom...it scared the weepers into not...weeping! :rolleyes005: Persona Lab Blues are my favs for the iKon Tech, Blackland Dart and Timeless Bronze OC .78.

Keithmax and twhite like this.
  6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I will try those too