Blade Rust Question/Thought ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by S Barnhardt, Mar 18, 2020.

1. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

While I'd never say never, I will say I've never had that issue with anything else shaving related or otherwise. Plus we're on a pretty strictly run municipal water system. Soap (Proraso Green in the tube) has remained the same through all my blade trials just to be sure.

DiggaDog likes this.
  2. DiggaDog

DiggaDog Active Member

Maybe you were just unlucky with that one blade.
    GSB are one of my favourites, and never seen one like that before.

S Barnhardt likes this.
  3. S Barnhardt

I'll try another one. I liked the way it worked up until the point it rusted.

4. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Are these from the blades I sent you? I know I sent you an assortment but I don't recall exactly what I sent. I've used a few tucks from the 100 pack that I have without problem. They are some of my favorite blades.

S Barnhardt likes this.
  5. LaneP

LaneP Well-Known Member

So this is interesting. I loaded a Perma-Sharp in my Karve CB on Thursday morning and used it both Thursday and Friday morning, so it was in the razor roughly 48 hours. I removed it this evening to load a Kai for Sat and Sunday's shave. I noticed along what was the bottom of the blade edge, distinctly brown rust looking stain.

My photo shows the area lighter than I see it by eye, but the circled spot is very brown and sure looks like rust/corrosion. I am in the post-shave habit of rinsing my razor under water and then swirling it in 91% Isopropyl, then shaking that off and setting it in the cabinet.

Since I already have the Kai ready to go I'll use it as planned but the next Perma-Sharp I use (from the same tuck) I'll skip the alcohol rinse and see what if anything that changes. I never looked at the edge that closely when unloading a blade but this popped out at me unmistakably. It looks like you just can't take for granted that all forms of stainless blades will resist corrosion.

[​IMG]

S Barnhardt likes this.
  6. S Barnhardt

It is. I've started another out of that pack just yesterday. I "just" checked it about 5 minutes, or less, ago and it looks fine. I too liked the blade. I got a great shave out of the one that did whatever it did. The one I started yesterday gave me a great shave. I'm sold on the blade being part of my eventual use rotation, even if I only use them "one and done" as someone on here mentioned. Thanks again!

7. S Barnhardt

Your post-shave routine sounds like mine with the exception I use 70% Isopropyl. I wouldn't have expected it to, but do you think the Isopropyl is doing something?

8. LaneP

LaneP Well-Known Member

It's a mystery to me, but I think there's something to the comments that the alloy of some of these blades is higher in ferrous alloy and as a result can be more prone to corrosion than a different grade of stainless steel.

I bought a cheapie Chinese straight razor many years ago, marked Stainless Steel and after lengthy storage in a medicine cabinet I pulled it out one day and it was covered in rust. And I've seen other high quality grades of stainless steel exposed to all sorts of abusive environments and not show a speck of corrosion.

But for now I'm going to skip the alcohol in my routine and keep all other variables the same and see what happens.

9. S Barnhardt

For what it's worth, I did try another GSB and it was great. I got 5 shaves out of it with no rust. The last 2 shaves weren't as great as the first 3, but not "bad", just not as great as I'd have liked them to be. So, I'll probably leave the GSB in the running, but not for more than 3 shaves. The first GSB must have been a fluke/oddity/etc.

DiggaDog and brit like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

i love gsb blades and most other russian gillettes,i haven't tried too many others though .i have lots of them at present so they have to be my choice.a new "miracle blade" would deem my others less useful..i could sell them off but that would be a hassle.blades that i haven't liked were passed along and enjoyed by other buddies.i use gsb for three shaves as well,like most gillette blades.
    derby premiums surprised me,smooth and sharp,unlike the green extra blades which weren't for me..did a voskhod shave recently and it tugged.bad blade maybe as they are usually smooth.not discouraged.good luck with your adventure..

DiggaDog and S Barnhardt like this.