Best way to eliminate excess water from a shaving brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Alex7, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

I have 2 questions about eliminating excess water from a shaving brush.

1. After soaking or wetting the brush prior to a shave is it better to squeeze the hairs to eliminate the excess water, or shake the brush?

2. After the shave when I rinse the brush, is it better to squeeze the hairs to eliminate the excess water, or shake the brush?

I'm asking because I'm worried if I shake the brush too hard I'll force the hairs out in time.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You won't.

Dry the brush however you like. You can't hurt it either way.

3. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

Before I load the brush, I shake excess water off.

After I finish shaving, I squeeze the soap out before I rinse it, but the brush I use
    has artificial bristles and doesn't shed, so it might be a little more durable
    than a modern badger knot if it hasn't been set in rubber.

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I don't soak any of my brushes. I also do not use hot water; just what comes out of the cold water side. I just wet the brush, shake it off, and then load it. I do use hot water to rinse out the brush. I shake it, squeeze it, and then towel dry it with painting motions. Then I set it aside with hairs up to dry. That's my way. It works well for me.

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I soak, then squeeze.

6. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I just shake the water out of mine. I dont shake them so hard that it could damage the hairs though. IMO, theres a difference between shaking and whipping.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Leo501 like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

a squeeze then a flick..this doesn't sound right..:D

Enrico likes this.
  8. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I soak, then squeeze then load and use. When finished, I squeeze out the excess lather, rinse and use painting motion on a towel to dry. Works great for me

9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Ditto

10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Flick 'em after soak before loading, use both swirl and painting motions during, then rinse in hot water and paint the bottom of sink til clean,, and after a final flick, left up side down to dry.

11. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

Maybe it's best if I squeeze the hairs and then shake the brush.

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Whether I squeeze or flick, depends on the type of brush. Boar, flick. Badger, squeeze or flick. Synthetic, squeeze.
    Same, though I don't squeeze out lather first. I squeeze several times during the rinse. I cup my hand around the bristles, handle down, and rinse directly under running water, squeezing several times until the water runs clear.

I then shake and squeeze excess water out of the knot, and dry it by squeezing the knot in a towel, then follow up by using paintbrush motions on the towel in several directions.

This method is what most people use, but if you have a wooden handled brush, avoid getting water deep into the knot. It won't hurt the knot, but it can cause the base of the knot to swell, which can crack a wooden handle.

Edison Carter likes this.
  13. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

When I clean my brush after a shave; this is my routine.
    Rinse & squeeze knot under warm water.
    Rinse & squeeze knot under cold water.
    Shake out brush firmly & briskly.
    Take brush to towel and do circular motions/back & forth on towel.
    If brush looks back to normal put it on stand; if not re-rinse brush and repeat process.
    I only use synthetics and never had a problem cleaning & drying my brushes this way.

14. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

My badgers I give a thorough rinse along with a few squeezes until they appear to be soap free and then I fill the shaving bowl with cold water, give a good swirl followed by a few good flicks and then a vigorous shake. I then brush on a towel in circular motions and hang upside down to dry.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Angelo85 likes this.