Micromatic Monday

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GAW9576, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, Mar 9th 2020. Did not get that restful nights sleep for what ever reason. Well it was a different morning for shaving when half asleep with a razor in my hand and having to do some errands in the back of my mind.
    The Micromatic did a nice job for very short stubble from previous day's very close shave. These Gem razors are very nice razors and like so many seasoned shavers have mentioned prior to me not even knowing what Gem meant "shaving worlds best keep secret" & it must be true to some degree to Newbee's & others from different country's.

Razor : Gem Micromatic Flying wing, MMBT, Gem Guiding eye.... -MFG 1947-50
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (1)
    Soap: Gillette Pure mixed in with some Razorock XXX left overs
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24mm - great little brush.
    Pre-shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
    Post shave : Proraso green After shave lotion with witch Hazel + Nivea balm.
    Results : CCS,DsS,BsS + no irritation + 1 tiny blemish weeper= [​IMG] great shave in my sweet spot target area.

MMMonday ,Mar 9th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 likes this.
  2. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Well guys the flu has hit our house this week. We stayed home from community day at our homeschool group. I ended up sleeping till almost noon. I will be skipping the shave today but enjoy seeing everyones contributions.

3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD, Tue, March 10th 2020

Razor : Gem Featherweight standard model- MFG 1950-53
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2)
    Soap: Razorock Don Marco- if you like a citrus scent with good lather qualities this would be a good consideration IMO.
    Brush : Yaqi tuxedo knot 24 mm "Sagrada Familia"
    Pre-shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep : cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
    Post shave: Italian barber Amici aftershave with witch hazel + Nivea balm.
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] great shave!

SOTD, March 10th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 likes this.
  4. GAW9576

Missed Micromatic Monday makeup shave.

Gem Jr parade.
    Meijer SS 2nd use
    Tabac and cold water
    RozoRock boar.

Easy smooth shave.

[​IMG]

Ron R likes this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD, Thursday March 12-2020

Razor : Gem Damaskeene open comb- MFG 1912-15, this is the razor that took Gem to new heights of popularity in USA and world wide. They sold Millions of 1912 different variant models for many years with some improvements.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (3)
    Soap : Razorock Irish country side. - mild scent with great lather qualities IMO.
    Brush: Yaqi rainbow with brown whiskers 26mm - great brush IMO.
    Pre-shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of Clear Aloe Vera gel on the beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
    Post shave : Proraso green with witch Hazel + Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper= [​IMG] Great shave & hit my sweet spot target!

SOTD, Thursday Mar 12 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 likes this.
  6. GAW9576

I know it's late but Micromatic Monday approaches. I shaved much earlier today but was out of town most of the day and didn't get to post till now.
    I had a great shave today. I've been meaning to do this shave most of the week but haven't shaved in a while. To tired to look back to confirm but I believe the last shave was Sunday. I did the right side with the BT and the left with the FW. Great shave all around and with a side by side comparison I'd say these two are closer in efficiency than I had thought previously. The BT being ever so slightly more efficient. I was still able to pull off a very socially acceptable shave and just wonderful pass and light touch up.

The FW just took the slightest bit more touch up to achieve the same results. Either way an excellent shave can be had with either razor. And a very fun relaxing and refreshing shave can be had with the 2 together.

[​IMG]

7. GAW9576

I had an easy effective excellent shave this magnificent Monday morning.

Gem Jr bar with custom handle
    Meijer SS blade
    Local artisan goat's milk soap
    Witch hazel After Shave splash.

[​IMG]

Terry likes this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD, Wednesday Mar 18th 2020

Razor : Gem clog pruf (Peerless variant)- Mfg 1945 - 17 nibs safety bar. (excellent razor)
    Blade : Gem SS PTFE (4)
    Soap: Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore "Firenze" - great soap in every way
    Brush: Yaqi Timberwolf 24mm synthetic
    Preshave : brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a Dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
    Post shave: Avon "True gent" aftershave with witch hazel + Avon "true gent" balm- now that is a nice scent.
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no weepers + no irritation = [​IMG] excellent shave this morning!

( no photo's today after my phone was stolen while recuperating after surgery from my room.)

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 likes this.
  9. GAW9576

Sorry to hear that. Sometimes it's a sad world we live in.

Ron R likes this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD, March 19th 2020.

Razor: Gem 1912 - Mfg 1921
    Blade : Gem SS PTFE (5)
    Soap: Razorock Lavender
    Brush : Yaqi tuxedo knot 24 mm "Sagrada Familia"
    Preshave: brush wash the face with CeraVe hand bar soap.
    Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender aftershave with witch hazel + Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + minor irritation + 2 blemish weepers= [​IMG] great close shave.

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 likes this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, March23-2020, A few of us decided to use our GEM G-bars today and mine was in storage for sometime(out of site out of mind). On a three pass shave this little razor works well but on a 2 pass is pushing CCS, DFS shave for me. So today was a 3 pass shave and the results were in my sweet spot.

Razor: Gem G bar - MFG 1953-58
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (7)
    Soap: Razorock "The Dead Sea"
    Brush: Yaqi timberwolf 24 mm - great brush to use!
    Pre-shave : brush wash my entire face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera Gel on beard area.
    Post shave : Razorock " The Dead Sea" aftershave with with witch Hazel + Nivea balm.
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + minimal irritation + 1 blemish weeper reopened = [​IMG] OK shave in my books!

MMMonday March 22-2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 likes this.
  12. GAW9576

Several people used the G-bar today so I figured I'd give mine another go. And to make it an official Micromatic Monday I also took the BMMOC for a spin. The lather I got from mixing Mer shavings mysore sandalwood with Cella the other day was so nice I repeated that mix today. I have to agree with @Flintstone65 the G-bar is not my favorite Gem razor. Not quite sure what it actually is though. I actually really like the look of it. Just not in love with the shaves from it. The BMMOC on the other hand is a stellar razor.

[​IMG]

Ron R likes this.
  13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD, Tuesday March 24th 2020, Tribute shave to Everyready 1914 razor that was enjoyed by millions. Excellent razor for it's time and today.

Razor : Everready 1914 Little Lather catcher(LLC)- MFG 1914-17, 1917-29-Patent date March 24th 1914!
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (8)
    Soap : Gillette Pro with some left over RR "The Dead Sea "
    Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24 mm "Sagarda Familia"
    Pre shave : Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Postshave: Proraso green with witch Hazel+ Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation 1 blemish weeper= [​IMG] great shave!

SOTD, Tue March 24 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 likes this.
  14. GAW9576

Here is my late in the day contribution celebrating these fantastic razors on the anniversary of their patent date.

Ever-Ready 1914 little lather catcher

Meijer branded SS blade 2nd use

Cold water rinse

Cold water lathered Cyril R Salter wild rose

SHD Two band badger in custom handle by me

Cold water rinse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Droo78 likes this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Looks like NOS, very nice. I have a 1912 NOS when I first recieved it and it shaves great.

GAW9576 likes this.
  16. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD, Sat March 28th 2020

Razor: Gem Junior 1912 Parade with baton handle variant - Mfg 1943 one of my favorites!
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (9) great blade!
    Soap: Razorock Don Marco - excellent citrus scented soap.
    Brush : Razorock Plissoft synthetic going strong for the last 3 1/2 yrs. Excellent brush!
    Pre shave : brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear aloe vera gel on beard area.
    Post shave: Razorock Emperor aftershave with witch hazel + Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] just a great shave today!

SOTD, March 28th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Droo78 and GAW9576 like this.
  17. GAW9576

Thank you. Not quite NOS the way I took the pictures hid a few very minor blemishes. It is in very good shape though. And is an excellent shaver. It was a very generous gift from a friend.

18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday Mar 30th 2020, Good morning all. I had to take my Gem jr bar out of the rack for a great shave. The performance of the razor is to my liking for the simple reason it gives me a great shave. I very rarely get cuts with no irritation and no weepers as a rule of thumb and my skin enjoys the results. What is there not to like!

Razor : Gem junior bar - MFG 1907- excellent razor for a daily driver.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (10)
    Soap: Taylor of old bond street Sandal wood. One of my favorite scented soaps.
    Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24mm synthetic with black marble handle. Excellent brush!
    Pre shave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
    Post shave: Prorazo red Sandal wood with witch hazel + Nivea balm
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] Great shave today!

MMMonday March 30th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!
    I once in a while leave information on Gem razors that folks who bought used razors and want to know proper use.
    Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg blade_angle-se-de.gif Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Droo78 and GAW9576 like this.
  19. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Micromatic Monday Shave

GEM Micromatic Clog-Pruf
    GEM Stainless PTFE (3)

[​IMG]

Ron R and GAW9576 like this.
  20. GAW9576

I had about 7 days to knock down so I went with two of my most efficient open come razors I have. The results were a very comfortable close shave with little effort. I used the Star for the front of my neck and beard line and the Henckels took out the stubble on the back of my neck.

[​IMG]

Droo78 and Ron R like this.