Pandemic Lockdown Meals

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Mar 29, 2020.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I just thought it might be fun to talk about what we are having to resort to eating, or what we are making, during this "Pandemic" , while we are on lockdown.

Last night, we thawed out some ribs(deboned), and some thawed out smoked pork roast. We made tacos, with mexican rice and Borracho beans, cooked in Shiner Bock bear. Oh, the wife and I washed it down with Corona Beer, with lime wedges.

2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Eggs, bacon, and blueberry pancakes for brunch today.
    No real changes to our meals.
    Most of the restaurants we like are doing take out and I haven’t had any problem grocery shopping.
    My wife did some baking yesterday since it was raining out so I might gain a bit of cookie weight.

Terry, Frijolero, Jrdelgado and 3 others like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Maintaining social distancing standards, a lady friend dropped of her 15" L-5 Kicker. I built a box using leftovers from a previous woofer box build.
    L-5 Kicker box for Z.gif
    Simple cube of 3/4" MDF, screwed and glued, sanded and ready for prime/paint or carpet covering. It's built to correct cu.ft. as per factory specs. When she picked it up this morning I was rewarded with lunch, cooled and ready to eat.
    Z's crawfish.gif

4. DaltonGang

With all this lockdown, crawfish prices should be pretty low.

Jrdelgado and RyX like this.
  5. DaltonGang

Chinese Takeout Tonight. I've never seen it busy like that, at that place.
    Mushu Pork
    Orange Chicken
    Beef and Broccoli
    House Fried Rice
    Egg Rolls.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  6. MileMarker60

MileMarker60 Member

I will, without a doubt gain a extra 10 pounds during this time..
    Over the last few days.. ribeye, pork chops, hamburgers, shrimp boil, buttermilk biscuits, cheddar biscuits, tacos, salmon, babka, banana bread... and 1 salad :), not including sides.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  7. Macbeth

Macbeth Active Member

Been making homemade soups with odds and ends.

Tonight was special: I did a pork loin pot roast with carrots onions, and potatoes in i nice gravy with red wine
    Took 3 hours but was excellent and have put up 3 ziplocks in freezer for later. Yum.

Grits and eggs for breakfast. Grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch.

Down in the swamp, I catch fresh catfish once a week .. I'm only 50 yards from my boat in the water. Turns out, I made a great decision when I bought this "camp" in 1989. I'm isolated and can hunt and fish for food.
    My wife finally admits this is one of our best decisions.

gorgo2, Frijolero, Jrdelgado and 4 others like this.
  8. DaltonGang

Excellent. :happy088:

Jrdelgado likes this.
  9. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Monday Night dinner was black beans and rice, from scratch, with home made bread. I would have made red beans and rice being monday, but the store only had a few packs of dried black beans left. So I did my red beans type recipe with the black beans. Holy trinity, bacon, garlic, chix stock, diced tomatoes..

Frijolero and Jrdelgado like this.
  10. Macbeth

Macbeth Active Member

First thing I stocked up on was 4 bags of Camillia RED BEANS!

Down here in South Louisiana, we can't survive without our Monday dose of red beans and rice.

Add a little Cajun homemade sausage of venison/pork mix and you're set for the week.

Freezes well in portion size in ziplock freezer bags. ( sometimes those taste better than the just cooked ones. )

Down here we trade bags of cooked red beans for bags of fresh caught catfish caught in the nearby swamp.

As the song goes, "A country ( Cajun) boy will survive!"

11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

What I like to do is make a big batch of food like spaghetti we had last night and portion the left overs into Glade hard plastic sandwich containers and freeze them . I have vacuum sealer(Foodsaver-excellent) and then put them in quart bags and seal them up for another meal down the road. I have been doing that for years and it is amazing how little food I throw out and feezer space I save with excellent food quality to boot. Those mason jar sealers are a must for storing dry goods IMO or meals that will be eaten shortly (1-3 days).
    foodsaver (2).jpg

12. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Take out from one of our favorite Italian sit-down restaurants.
    Sausage and peppers for me and chicken marsala for the missus.
    Unfortunately they’re just doing meals and salads (no soup) but I’ll live.

Frijolero, Jrdelgado and Ron R like this.
  13. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Made a batch of pizza dough tonight. Froze two and turned one into:
    dinner.jpg

14. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

We cook in batches:

Batch 1: pork steaks in mushroom sauce with black eyed peas and vegetables
    Batch 2: Tuna salad heavily doctored
    Batch3: Quinoa, beans, vegetables, avacado, plain Greek yogurt
    Batch4: Quiche with everything thrown in

Coming attractions: baked catfish, potato soup, broccoli cheddar soup , 10 vegetable soup & buffalo chicken legs .

We had an interlude of grilled ham, turkey, and mozzarella cheese sandwiches

2 bataches of what I call frozen desert-ice cream sandwiches, topped with chocolate chip cookie pieces, chocolate syrup, whipped cream, frozen hard.

15. DaltonGang

Homemade Chili. Pulled from the deep freezer.

My wife and kids like to make Frito Pies out of it. Me, i just like a little cheese and sour cream on top. Fritos on the side.

16. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Today: burgers (homemade of course)
    Yesterday: red beans and rice, collards, cornbread
    Day before that: chicken tortellini soup
    Day before that: homemade enchiladas

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

17. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Fantastic!

In the last weeks....
    We've have had, steaks, chicken barbequed, baked rabbit, squirrel n gravy, baked shrimp.
    All paired with rice or potatoes, and mixed veggies.
    Gonna hate eating out and sack lunch after this is all over.

tp

Frijolero, Jrdelgado and DaltonGang like this.
  18. DaltonGang

My daughter made us dinner last night. She has watched me cook, over the years and decided to give it a try.
    Chicken Cordon Bleu.

It was wonderful.

19. DaltonGang

Smoked Pulled Pork Enchiladas

Yum yum yum. Slowly clearing out the Deep Freezer. The wife has a thing for my smoked meat. :D. She uses it in very creative ways.

Frijolero, Jrdelgado and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  20. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

2 soft boiled eggs w/ hash browns and brioche bread for breakfast. my first time making soft boiled eggs. They came out pretty good, except a little bit cold. Had them in an ice bath too long. Coffee of course ... French press.

Probably having jerk spiced lamb burgers tonight.

Frijolero, Jrdelgado and RaZorBurn123 like this.