-Vintage-Gillette-Shave-

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brit

brit in a box

awesome ss shave and pic Stuart..

MacDaDad and stuartganis like this.
  2. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Thank You Gary, Good Afternoon

MacDaDad and brit like this.
  3. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  4. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

Thanks Gary it is a really good razor.

MacDaDad and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

it's one i have never tried.i am looking for a brit version..:)

Somnos likes this.
  6. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

04/04/2020
    Canadian Khaki Tech w/Feather (3) DR Harris Lavender

1BF6AA88-A242-4FDC-8B68-5CDA5DF94A07.jpeg

BigD, Droo78, stuartganis and 6 others like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

fine tech shave and pic Mac..:)

MacDaDad likes this.
  8. MacDaDad

Thank You Gary. And there is a difference between the Canadian Khaki Tech and the Brit #44 Tech but then again, I would guess there's a difference between two different Super Speeds of the same model. ;) It depends on who build that razor up that given day. :)

Somnos, brit and ilts like this.
  9. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

'66 Super Speed 04/05/20 DSCF4562.JPG

BigD, Droo78, stuartganis and 6 others like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

yes sir,i agree especially before 1950 for the 3 piece models,tto's differed between counties up until the early/mid 60s,then the standard u.s models were the norm everywhere.after 1953 canada received u.s post war design british techs for the most part as canada ceased production due to patent expiration.the canadian prewar razor you have has slightly more blade exposure/gap than it's u.s counterpart.
    the brit flat bottoms were built until 1949 when they too got u.s type baseplate/cap tooling.the brit #44 flat bottom tech you have was based on the flat bottom new,like your nacet razor ,using modified machinery due to ww2,hence the late switch to post war designs used here.sorry for the ramble..

Droo78, Somnos and MacDaDad like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

fine black handle shave and pic Steve..

Somnos, MacDaDad and ilts like this.
  12. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Good Morning Gary, Thank You!

Somnos and brit like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

good morning..:)

Somnos and ilts like this.
  14. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

Monday‌ ‌04.06.20‌ ‌SOTD

DSCF0024 - Edited.jpg

Gillette ’46 gold Milord (ndc) in case
    Rapira Swedish Supersteel ‌(1)‌
    Yaqi‌ ‌Moka‌ ‌Express‌ ‌26mm‌ ‌2-Band‌ ‌Badger‌ ‌
    Barrister‌ ‌and‌ ‌Mann‌ ‌Cheshire‌ ‌Shaving‌ ‌Soap‌ ‌

Barrister‌ ‌And‌ ‌Mann‌ ‌Barrister's‌ ‌Cheshire‌ ‌Aftershave‌

DSCF0026 - Edited.jpg

BigD, Droo78, Somnos and 6 others like this.
  15. MacDaDad

Not a problem, the ramble is the informative part, keep on keep'n on. Gillette Pre War Techs British, Canadian and USA are my favorite shaves.. :)

Somnos likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

awesome milord shave and pics Jim..these gillettes are just..classy..:)

Somnos and MacDaDad like this.
  17. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

Thanks Gary

Somnos and brit like this.
  18. Jake Gibson

Jake Gibson Well-Known Member

So I've been wet shaving for about a month now maybe a little longer and currently I'm using a Rockwell R1 that I actually bought from a variety store in downtown St.Thomas (weird I know but the store actually had quite a bit of items) and so far it is my favourite of all the razors I've used, all only being 5 so far but I feel its worth noting that my second favourite razor, the one that gave this beginner the closest shave he's ever had hands down is the Gillette 1930's NEW long comb bar handle purchased for $10 at the antique store also in St.Thomas. I cleaned it up as much as possible without damaging it and disinfected it 5 times before I used it. I used a Parker Premium Platinum blade since I ordered the beginner or starter kit from the wet shaving club.com which included 100 blades and man alive for a razor that is almost 100 years old it was incredible! Amazing! Absolutely astounding! This wasn't the first time I used a safety razor, I used the one that came in that beginner\starter kit mentioned above a few times and it was ok, decent, certainly the razor you want to use as a beginner but the Gillette! that razor was what shifted my focus from collecting any and all vintage razors to just Gillette and Gillette only. That razor took what used to be a boring, mundane chore, one I would put off as long as possible and even growing the sorriest excuse for a beard as an excuse not to shave anymore and turned it into a new found passion, past time, hobby and relaxing ritual. I now want to shave everyday even though I don't need to, I want to try as many combinations of razors, blades, brushes, soaps as my budget will allow (after my 30 day same setup is over of course) and I am constantly hunting for that Gillette razor, case, blade bank or instruction booklet I need to complete and display my next full set (I have two so far now, a 1967 slim adjustable set and a 1930's NEW federal set) In short I wish I had discovered wet shaving a long time ago but better late than never as they say, right?

BigD, Droo78, Aztecmike and 5 others like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

very cool Jake,glad you found us here.lots of cool gillettes here.i myself like the british gillettes for a few reasons,not all shave quality either.my grandfather was a gillette man since the late 1930s..i also like rhodium /nickel plate razors over gold ones,but i do have a few.stick around..many fine gillettes go up for grabs on the BST/classifieds here on the forum.many are found on the ebay sights as well.there will be no shortage of razors in your future..:)have fun and welcome.if you have a gillette question feel free to ask.there are many cool sources here for info..here is one you will like..enjoy..https://www.mr-razor.com/..and the guys that hang out here are awesome as well..:)

Aztecmike, Somnos, ilts and 2 others like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

06/04/20
    1921 new improved tuckaway/karve handle
    gsb
    bbj custom/omega boar
    captain's choice bowl
    barrister's reserve classic(sun up) 20200405_143814_edited.jpg

BigD, Droo78, Aztecmike and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.