Soaps that don't get enough love. What's yours?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by SharptoothC, Apr 6, 2020.

1. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Kiss My Face shave cream. I needed a quick shave yesterday, and pulled out a tube of Kiss My Face Lime Moisture Shave soap. It was everything I could want in a lather. The scent could stand to be a little stronger, but man...what great shave. It stands up to most anything else in my den, but I think it gets relegated to the back burner because it isn't an artisan soap. What soaps do you use that stand tall but don't seem to get the love you think they deserve for whatever reason?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

danbuter, PLANofMAN, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I would say my Stoylin BoS. It was PIFed to me, and of course that was nice. I've used it maybe 4, 5 times, and still can't sit here and say I love it. But it stands tall because it's a Stoylin, I get the routine Stoylin-style shave with it, which is great, but I just can't seem to be ONE with it, as its scent is something I still need to get used to.

3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Most of my soaps and creams don’t get enough love.
    I have so much product that they all get neglected.
    My beard grows so slowly that I only need to shave every other day.
    If I used a different one each time then I might use each one once a year.
    What usually happens is I pull one out and use it for two or three shaves before swapping for something different.
    Hence I probably have product that hasn’t been used in... well, you do the math.

4. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I keep coming back to the basics:
    • Prorasso (both red and green in the tub),
    • Arko stick,
    • Palmolive.
    No fancy scents here, but all are superior in lather, body, and feel. Further, each of them is quite unique so, between them, there is enough variety to keep me from feeling like I've fallen into a rut. Finally, they are priced right - you could buy all of them and probably spend less than you would on just one of the high end soaps; I think I got my stick of Arko as a free gift the last time I bought some blades.

5. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

6. Paul Turner

John, that's my situation too. My "rotation" gets larger more often than smaller. I just try to figure out what I haven't used in quite a while(which is easy when there are many soaps/aftershaves to choose from).

7. Klatu

Klatu Member

The one that I use that I rarely see mentioned in forums is The Artisan Soap Shoppe Humidor. It's a wonderful soap that lathers well, provides great cushion, and features a potent smell of tobacco and cedar.

bmw45MO, Frijolero, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  8. Paul Turner

I'm a bit familiar with The Artisan Soap Shoppe products. Perhaps a review is in order.

SharptoothC likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

my shave sticks rarely see the light of day,must use them more..arko,palmolive, boots,derby,wilkinson..

Ksblazer, Keithmax, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  10. Klatu

Klatu Member

Since I'm new to these forums, I'm not sure about the protocols. Should I post the review in this thread or open up a new one? What would be the best way to go about it?

SharptoothC and Paul Turner like this.
  11. Paul Turner

I think opening up a new thread devoted to Artisan would be best in this case, if you're talking about reviewing it for the members. This thread has a slightly different subject. But before that, how about introducing yourself to us in the Welcome Center thread, if you haven't done so?

SharptoothC likes this.
  12. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

[​IMG]
    A good cheap soap. I haven't used it in years even though 2 pucks I bought in 2012 are languishing in the cabinet.

13. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Here’s a list of shave soaps I own and enjoy, but for whatever reason don’t get used often.
    VDH Luxury
    Pre De Provence no 63
    Abbate Y La Mantia Buttero
    TOBS Sandalwood
    Dr Jon’s Sakura Musk

14. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

After trying Dr Jon's vegan soap (Runaway), I'm surprised I don't see the brand in more SOTDs. Strong in both the scent and performance categories. It's one of my first small artisan soap/AS sets (I have Proraso Red & Green sets).

Tdmsu, Angelo85, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  15. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

Did KMF get bought out by a larger company? If so is the formula still the same? I've read how good it is (was?) but never bought it. If I buy some now, is it still as good?

Frijolero and SharptoothC like this.
  16. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

I only keep 3 soaps in my rotation, so they all see regular use--but--2 soaps that I enjoyed but will probably never use again because they aren't quite as good as Stirling:

Arko & Palmolive. Great performers, decent scent (I know there are folks who'll take umbrage with that), and fantastic price.

BigMike, Keithmax, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  17. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Around last April I ran across some posts on another shave forum (I know, there are others lol?) by a member from here at TSD also. He was extolling the virtues of a soap he had found on the bay from a seller in China. It is a goat milk puck, 3.5 ozs and it was just ridiculously cheap. It gathered a HUGE following on the other forum and soon a boatload of those members were chiming in that they had ordered and recd theirs. Almost to a member they LOVED it. I found references to it here and the sentiments were the same. I had to have it lol. Its called Blues Soap...Goat Milk and Animal from New Zealand. I paid a whopping $4.49 (free shipping) for it and it did take a cpl of mos or longer to arrive, but, indeed, it did. I absolutely love this stuff. We have very hard water, which, oddly enough doesnt seem to have any effect whatsoever on any soap I use, including my modern Williams. The lather is fast, easy to generate and very plentiful. Ive used it with boar and synthetic knots with the same great results. Both my se and de razors love it, and its very slick without being slimy or sticky. It rinses clean from both my face and hardware and leaves a moisturizing face feel. There is little to no scent. This truly is a wonderful soap. I used it a few times but not recently as Ive been caught up in scented soaps. Im going to get it out for Avon April and use it tomorrow. It truly DOES get the love from me, just not enough use. Does anyone else remember this awesome product that proves that a high price, marketing and scent arent what makes a truly wonderful shave soap?

Frijolero and SharptoothC like this.
  18. SharptoothC

I don't know if they were bought out of if there was a reformulation at some point. Mine was purchased within the last year.

Leo501 and Frijolero like this.
  19. SharptoothC

That scent profile seems right up my alley.

20. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

The brand was bought a couple of years ago. Relaunched last year with a new manufacturer. Which does not necessarily mean that they strayed from the formulas that worked. Your experience with a recent purchase is encouraging. I haven't seen it reappear yet at local places where I used to find it.

https://www.kissmyface.com/press/