What Razor Are You Working On

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by Ice-Man, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Nice job and nice tip for a polishing tool! :happy088:

Ice-Man likes this.
  2. PressGang

PressGang New Member

Hello fellows;
    my intention is to make this mid 1800s sheffield into a shorty. Sadly I had picked it up in an online lot and it had been tarnished in a way that hid the crack near the toe. It is visible by eye in this image. I have treated with a rust remover and wire brushed it in a tub of water. I think I can start to hand sand it starting around 800; thoughts? 20200410_102944.jpg

Ice-Man and Edison Carter like this.
  3. Ice-Man

Ice-Man Well-Known Member

I like this one a lot and one product I have yet to try bone scales.

4. SilverSwarfer

SilverSwarfer Well-Known Member

I find using 0000 Steel Wool + Autosol Metal Polish makes very quick work of restoring mirror polishes to steel in similar condition. I usually polish again with a little fresh product on a towel after the initial steel wool scrub.

Of course a sandpaper progression will achieve similar/same results. However in many cases the method described brings results quicker and with less effort.

Austosol can be found on AMZN for about ten bucks IIRC. It’s a little more aggressive than my other favorite polish, Simichrome which I also highly recommend. On my bench I often follow Autosol with Simichrome, just because I have both on hand; though for most intents and purposes they are interchangeable products.

Karl G, Ice-Man and TestDepth like this.
  5. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Bartmann 22 was on deck this weekend. I’m familiar with the Manganese Steel 86/89’s, the beautiful spine on the 504, and a few of the “High Class” 6/8 razors... but this was the first 22 I had seen.

Now why did it have to come in these scales???
    07047ABC-9BE2-49DF-857E-F88C416C9D62.jpeg
    And the wedge end is as large as a truck :).
    65A9C641-E09B-4C76-8196-B7FB98A8B761.jpeg
    Had a Wacker come in these scales so I knew the deconstruction would be fun... 6 internal washers and a massively bent pin at the pivot.

Tried something new and bought precut scales. Too thick and warped, so not sure I bought myself any time. Used the oven at 350 to “bake,” flatten and make the one half of the scale useable.
    F04A9AA8-F16A-40F1-9A92-DB7AB1C16280.jpeg Went with a 3rd pin to provide some insurance.
    30A798CE-74E1-4903-94D4-F02D5831D14E.jpeg
    Camel bone wedge to work the color scheme and provide some weight balance.
    6125C255-C21E-4C5C-AF3D-DD22B5C1AE6B.jpeg
    Honestly the scales kicked my butt... and there are still some issues, but good enough. :)
    E75867BA-D110-48F2-89D4-96293DF76AE8.jpeg
    Enjoy your projects.
    Tom

ischiapp, Ice-Man, Manumik and 2 others like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

very cool Tom..

Ice-Man and TestDepth like this.
  7. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Thanks Gary. Got very close to giving these scales to the dog as a chew toy. :)

Ice-Man and brit like this.
  8. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I was working on a Joseph Elliot Straight Razor. It was given to me by a non straight razor shaver. It had a big chip and some minor chips. When it was given to me, I wasn't even into honing yet. Anyway, I got the chips out and reset the bevel and shaved with it this evening. I got a near BBS shave. For my first restoration project. I would say that's pretty good. I could polish her up, but I will let it be for now. 20200615_012456.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020