2-Pass Shaves?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by feeltheburn, Apr 8, 2020.

1. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

With the stay at home orders in place here, I've just been doing 2-Pass shaves the past few weeks. Don't really need a BBS Shave to go nowhere, right. Here's what I've learned...

Maybe synthetic brushes can use some break in? I had this 20 or 22 mm Tuxedo knot brush that I didn't really like much. It didn't splay the way I wish it would and I only used it a few times before putting it aside but it's a good size for a 2-Pass shave so I've been using it. After a couple weeks of use it seems to splay better than it used to. Maybe I'm getting more used to it but I'm pretty sure it's improved with some use.

I sort of already knew this but for a 2-pass shave I can use a more aggressive razor than I usually like for my normal 3-Pass shave. I've been able to break out some razors that don't get a lot of face time like the R41 and ATT H2. The Merkur Futur and my Injectors get used for 3-Pass shaves pretty often and even though I don't feel they're overly aggressive, they give me just as close a 2-Pass shave as any of the more aggressive razors I've got, with less irritation.

I'm probably going to work on my straight technique a little at some point during the lockdown. Need to touch up a couple razors though.

Are you guys changing anything up?

MR41, gorgo2 and jtface like this.
  2. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

I have started shaving at night. I'm waking up later and my two little ones don't leave much time for shaving in the morning.

LevelupShaves and jtface like this.
  3. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

I always shave at night and only ever do a 2.5 pass shave. My neck cannot take 3 passes with my aggressive razors. My problem is that if stubble has not been obliterated on my chin and jawline, then it is very visible... It really is very annoying. XTG on my jawline doesn't do much. I have to do a third pass in that area (hence the .5 of a pass).
    Enjoy the use of the aggressive razors. I really love them!

jgreenepa likes this.
  4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

A 22mm is definitely a good size in my opinion. It holds plenty of soap for 2 passes.

I switched to two passes years ago as my neck could not handle any more than that. Initially the closeness of the shave suffered a little but the irritation problem was mostly ngone. Over time, my technique improved enough that I was finishing with the same or better results than I was getting in 3 passes regardless of razor.

5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

No changes here. I’ve been doing 2 pass shaves regardless of the format (DE, SE and SR).

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

My soap shaves have mostly been done with 2 passes. Quite often I have enough for 3, but I always worry about how much shave-strength is left in my disposeABLE.

7. LaneP

LaneP Well-Known Member

No changes in this environment, I shave only on days ending in 'y' :)

I always shave just two passes. It's just easier for me to use a more efficient/aggressive razor and do one north-south pass, followed by a south-north pass, some targeted touchup, then call it. That will get me a shave as close as I can possibly get, going farther won't produce any better results for my beard/skin type. Blades generally get one or two uses, on rare occasion, three (sharpness matters).

Lately the rotation has consisted mainly of:

- Rockwell 6s/R6 - outstanding with a 7 o'clock black
    - Gillette Slim H3 on 5 through 7 - vintage Gillette Spoiler, fantastic combo
    - RR Gamechanger .84 SB or Jaws - Gillette Perma-Sharp
    - Muhle 2013 R41 - Gillette Perma-Sharp, stunning smooth, close shave
    - Gillette New LC - I paired this with a vintage Gillette Spoiler and possibly got the closest shave in recent memory, wowza.

Honorable mention:

- Merkur 37C
    - Merkur Progress
    - Karve CB OC/B or SB/D
    - Razorock Hawk V2

There are a few others that get tossed in out of boredom, but the above see the most use by far. One thing for me is blade choice is crucial to consider. Some blades just don't work with some razors and work great in others.

Have a great day everyone.

Bryan_D and brit like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

very cool,i use this shave type as well .2+ passes- 1 ns then sn,touch ups buffing on plus pass.

LaneP likes this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm real lazy ............ 1 pass and a buff with witch hazel.

:eatdrink013:

Frank Shaves and Terry like this.
  10. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I haven't changed a thing, well maybe I take a little more time, if I have it.
    2 passes head and face.
    I sometimes go 3 passes but only a couple times in the last month or so.
    Only with a mild little razor like a super speed or the like.
    My skin likes a sharp blade (read new Feather blade) and an efficient razor (read MMOC, Yaqi Helmet, Beast and like).
    So when I use a mild mannered razor, I just don't have as close of a shave.

It's taken me over two years to develop my technique, why change now?

tp

jgreenepa likes this.
  11. Ironically I've started to shave more. I have a lot of online meetings and also share lots of info via video. As I'm in front of a camera that shows stubble worse than being in a live meeting, I'm shaving more than ever!

I bought a slant merkur 37 as I've read lots of great reviews, but am massively disappointed. getting lots of irritation and stubble.

My normal razors are the 2013 R41, Merkur Futur; which I love and a feather Clubman straight.

I tend to do 3 passes as it irks me when it's not bbs!

jgreenepa and Enrico like this.
  12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I like the three pass.
    I will only comment because I’ve found that my synthetic brushes splay better when their wetter. If too much soap loaded, it clumps and won’t splay nicely. If you dip the tips, the synthetics will do what you want.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  13. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Simon:
    You should try an AC Razor with a Schick Proline or Feather Super blade. You’ll never get a closer shave.

14. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

Or just use a Fatip Grande! ;)

jgreenepa likes this.
  15. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Fatips are good razors, James, but I would still contend that nothing gives a closer first pass shave than a Feather Super AC blade in a Hawk, Vector or General, at least for me! YMMV! If I’m not universally correct may my head blow up!
    :angry021:

16. Any idea of a UK outlet?

17. feeltheburn

I have an AC and it's fun to shave with sometimes. It doesn't shave any closer than an aggressive DE though.

18. feeltheburn

I have one and I haven't broken it out in a while. Maybe I will.

19. What would you call 2 Passes and 200 touch-ups?!

20. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Deja vu ;)

Simon Smailus likes this.