Micromatic Monday

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GAW9576, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Looks like your Clog Pruf is in mint condition, some very nice gear!

GAW9576 and Droo78 like this.
  2. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ron! It's in great shape, with only a few scratches on the top. Fantastic shaver!

GAW9576 and Ron R like this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD, Thur April 2nd 2020

Razor :Gem Featherweight 1oz weight- MFG 1950-53 -Great razor for a daily driver or breaking in new Gem blades!
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (1)-one of the sharpest blades MFG in the world with longevity that no one beats IMO.
    Soap : Proraso red sandal wood- it's OK!
    Brush : Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm (Sagarda Familia)
    Pre Shave : Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep : cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
    Post shave : Alum + cold water rinse after approx 40 seconds.
    Post shave : Proraso Red Sandal wood aftershave with witch hazel + Nivea balm.
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBs + Alum indicated some irritation + 1 blemish weeper = [​IMG] good shave this morning.

SOTD , April 2nd 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Droo78 and GAW9576 like this.
  4. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Micromatic Monday approaches I'm leaning toward the Gem Damaskeene and if a package arrives tomorrow as it should I will be making it a https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-daily-double.63233/ with a mystery Straight razor.
    What will your choice of Razor be? Any way you go as long as it was produced by one of the ASR family I hope you'll post pics and a report. And if your technique is right it should be a fantastic shave.

Ron R likes this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, April 6th 2020 today for my razor usage, On a fairly new blade I like to take advantage of my milder Gem razors that will give excellent shaves regardless. My gold push button performed very well today with minimal operator error.

Razor: Gem push button- MFG 1958-65 -good daily driver!
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) Excellent blade in every way!
    Soap: Italian barber Amici- Great inexpensive soap with good lather qualities!
    Brush: Yaqi timber wolf whiskers 24mm- great brush to use.
    Pre- shave : shower + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
    Post shave: Amici aftershave with witch hazel + AVON "True Gent" balm- now that is a nice balm!!!
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + minimal irritation + 1 weeper on chin area> operator error= [​IMG] great shave today!

GEMonday April 06th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Ijustmissedthe50s and GAW9576 like this.
  6. GAW9576

GeMentholMonday with the Gem Damaskeene. I added some Sterling frost drops to Sterling almost heaven, whipped up a luscious lather and started to shave with this wonderful razor. My first thought was WOW I know I'm shaving 7 days growth but I remember the Damaskeene being more efficient and having at least some audio feedback and blade feel. Well that's what late night shaving did to me today. I had plum forgotten to load a blade. Well once that was rectified I performed a fantastic 1.75 pass shave for a very socially acceptable shave. I was planning on this being a daily double but the mystery straight razor on its way to me hasn't shown up yet. I guess the postal system is a bit slow right now with everything going on. And I guess it's probably for the better given I forgot to load a blade in my safety razor. Imagine what may have happened with a straight razor.

[​IMG]

7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD, Thur April 09th

Razor: Gem Micromatic Flying wing, MMBT, guiding eye..... MFG 1947-50, a smooth razor and a excellent daily driver!
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (3) excellent blade in all ways known.
    Soap: Razorock XXX - very enjoyable scented soap with great lather qualities.
    Brush : Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24 mm Sagrada Familia named after a great Cathedral in Barcelona Spain.
    Pre-shave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Post shave : Razorock XXX with witch Hazel +Nivea for Men balm.
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] Smooth great shave!Hit my sweet spot target!

SOTD, Thursday April 09th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

GAW9576 likes this.
  8. GAW9576

9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday April 13th 2020, Its going to be a A.S.R. family offspring shave with the Star bar #4 and like usual it gives me the type of shave I like and shaving with a 100 year old razor is a blast from the past.

Razor : Star bar #4 lather catcher- MFG 1920-(Kampfe brothers- A.S.R "Star brand"umbrella of company's) great razor! Kampfe brothers were producing the first safety razors produced in the USA over 20 yrs before Gillette & Gem even existed!
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (4) best blade to shave with IMO.
    Soap: Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore "Firense" very enjoyable soap to use with excellent lather qualities!
    Brush : Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24 mm with black marble handle- one of my favorites!
    Pre- shave: Shower with CeraVe face scrub+ a dollop of clear Aloe vera gel on beard area.
    Post shave: AVON " True gent" cologne with witch hazel + Avon True Gent balm- I really like the balm-Home run IMO!
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] excellent shave and hit my target sweet spot.

MMMonday April 13th 2020 (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Ijustmissedthe50s and GAW9576 like this.
  10. GAW9576

Love that razor Ron. Thanks for sharing.
    I will probably be shaving late as has been my habit lately. With nowhere to go it's noce to relax and shave before bed.

Ron R likes this.
  11. GAW9576

I forgot I had binned the blade after my last shave so this shave was with a fresh blade. The shave was efficient but a tad on the harsh side. Perhaps a featherweight would have been a better choice. But overall not a bad shave.

I love all of the Mer Shaving soaps I have. I don't use the barber shop scent as often because it's a sample size and I always feel like it will run out to soon when I have a sample.

[​IMG]

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and Ron R like this.
  12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD, Wed April 15th 2020

Razor :Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf (Peerless model 17 nib safety bar)- Mfg 1945, Excellent razor to use.
    Blade: Personna Gem SS PTFE (5) great blade in every way IMO.
    Soap: Razorock Don Marco- if you like citrus scent good chance you would enjoy this one, great lather qualities.
    Brush: Razorock Noir 400 plissoft 24mm - very good brush that I have been using for the last 3 years.
    Pre shave : Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area only.
    Post shave: Razorock Emperor(Creed Aventus RR version) with witch hazel + Nivea Men balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] Great shave this morning.

SOTD, Wed April 15 th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ijustmissedthe50s, GAW9576 and brit like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

fine shave and pic Ron..good morning..

14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Good Gary, have a great day.

GAW9576 and brit like this.
  15. GAW9576

Nice shave gear. Eventually I will have to get a Peerless. I really like my standard Clog Pruf.

16. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday for me today, I read up on these new razors and was thinking of purchasing one and a lot of feed back is indicating mild razor or mid razor range, its clear that my Gem Junior bar lather catcher has all that and works like a charm. I still might be buying something in the fall possibly just for the sake of buying something[​IMG]. I'm on a self inflicted sabbatical until black Friday or cyber Monday or when a good deal is in the works.

Razor : Gem Junior bar lather catcher- MFG 1907-09 just a great razor to work with & excellent daily driver IMO.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (6) excellent blade in every way!
    Soap: Razorock Lavender - one of my favorites with great lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24 mm (Sagrada Familia)- named after a great cathedral in Barcelona Spain.
    Pre-shave: Shower + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
    Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea Men balm.
    Results : CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] excellent shave today & hit my targeted sweet spot.

GEMonday April 20th 2020 (2).jpg

Some times I leave information on Gem razors that might not come with a used razor purchased & other information.
    Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg GEM Razor Cluster review 2019 (2).jpg blade_angle-se-de.gif

Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and GAW9576 like this.
  17. GAW9576

For today's GeMonday shave I was using a fresh Meijer branded Accu TEC SS blade. So I went with the Gem Featherweight Deluxe.
    This Is an excellent razor for new blade break in. And an excellent razor all around. I love the look and feel of the handle. The one thing I don't care for on the flpi top ASR razors is the firce in which the spring clicks forward to seat the blade.
    I started off with a hot shower and soak my Two band SHD Badger while I showered.
    I then lathered up some Arko wich a good friend gave me a sample of last year. Applied the lather to my neck and worked it in a little.
    Went to take first pass. And the lather on my neck was vanishing. I grabbed my brush and swirled it in the bowl to pick up some more lather and what had looked a minute ago like a full bowl of nice lather disintegrated completely. :eek:
    So I grabbed the Tabac another good friend gifted me and whipped up a beautiful rich lather and went about a shaving with no more issues. Results were a very enjoyable close comfortable shave.

[​IMG]

Ron R, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  18. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Monday 4-20-2020
    -Gem MMOC
    -Gem Ted Pella
    -Stirling Electric She 20200420_190045_copy_800x600.jpg ep
    -unknown boar brush
    -Avon Tai Winds a/s
    -Avon Tai Winds cologne

Ron R likes this.
  19. GAW9576

Thanks for joining us. Nice MMOC if you missed the first posting all razors from the ASR family are welcome hear. That family includes Gem, Star, Ever Ready and Treet.
    And it's not just for Monday's.

Ron R and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  20. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Thanks. I do have an Ever Ready I've posted in various places before but it looks like it'll have to make it's way here next. I've seen so many great ASR razors in this thread, and am amazed at the excellent condition many are in.

GAW9576 and Ron R like this.