Anyone Else Considered "Essential", and have to go into work??

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Mar 26, 2020.

1. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Good Italian food? I live in Tennesse, it would be easier for me to fly.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Ursa likes this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Ok, some good local Shine, a bonfire, roasted venison, the highlights of Univ of Tennessee football, and a skinny dip in the local pond?

Shaver X and Frijolero like this.
  3. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Maybe for her, i'am from NY so I would not be too happy with that meal or a swim in a pond. Give me the ocean and my moms home cooked Italian food. Sadly none of that will ever happen again. I appreciate all the help you are giving me, I need all the help I could get. Maybe I should buy her a new car!

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

4. DaltonGang

Women tend to like the little gestures. At least the ones worth keeping. Just saying. Good luck.

Shaver X and brit like this.
  5. emkeane

emkeane Member

ED doc. Essential.

At least I love my work. The risks are just part of the job.

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Erectile dysfunction doctor?

Ursa, emkeane, Shaver X and 1 other person like this.
  7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I just found out I'll get a call from the barbershop when they reopen. She put phone numbers of all callers into a file. Meanwhile I will "attempt" to do a few "haircuts" here. She said, jokingly, that she and the other two barberettes expect all regulars to look silly above the ears when we return.

8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I thought this was a family show

emkeane likes this.
  9. DaltonGang

Nope. Just mostly bored adults.

Ursa and emkeane like this.
  10. DaltonGang

I'm getting tired of this "Essential Worker" thing. I think everyone who works is " Essential ".

BigD, Shaver X and John Beeman like this.
  11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

The quarantine in California is ending, the decision being made by the people and overruling the state government. They have declared themselves essential, which they are.

A lot of people can't work from home, and so are idled. They need money to live on, so breaking quarantine and risking a $600 fine has become worth it. There are also plenty of companies that will go under if they stay closed and their workforce is idled much longer. Morning rush hour traffic, virtually nonexistent a month ago, has increased markedly over the past 10 days. It was much greater still last Thursday and Friday. Landscapers are considered non-essential, but I now see plenty of them when I drive to work each day. Cannabis dealers are considered essential, and a rumor is going around that weed is a good remedy for coronavirus. Then again, I live in the People's Republic of California, one of the most goofball states in the nation.

Some local counties, cities and businesses are requiring everyone to wear face masks. Which they can't buy because panicking hoarders scooped up a lifetime supply and are buying them still. Not sure why they waited until near the end of the quarantine to impose this restriction.

DaltonGang, Frijolero and BigD like this.
  12. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

I'm crying to hear of so much freedom. 'Murica!

Shaver X and Frijolero like this.
  13. DaltonGang

Good for those Californians, who have declared themselves Essential.

Shaver X and BigD like this.
  14. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Whilst i am myself, fustrated by lockdowns, to ignore the government and law on it is, imho, nuts.
    You've seen the death rates in NY, etc yea?

This isn't a game. Its for real. All of the work done to flatten the curves of invection will be for nought and you risk a infection bloom which will be far worse.
    Not that i am a big advocate of lockdwns, but if you are not going to have one, then you need to plan for the remaifications of it.

Freedom? like everything in life worth having, it comes at a cost.

here's hoping you guys get through it

Ursa, Sara-s, Frijolero and 1 other person like this.
  15. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Quote from @BlueShaver with my personal response in red.

Whilst i am myself, frustrated by the lockdown, to ignore the government and law on it is, IMHO, nuts.
    No higher law than the Constitution and Bill of Rights in the USA.
    You've seen the death rates in NY, etc yea?
    Too much, "He was hit by a truck and run over by herd of elephants. He must have died by the Covids." Not saying it won't kill certain people, but if the death rates have to be artificially inflated, something is up.

This isn't a game. Nope. Its for real. Sure is. All of the work done to flatten the curves of infection will be for nought and you risk a infection bloom which will be far worse. Not really. When you can go to the store to get beer and potato chips, but can't go get some new blue jeans, it isn't about your health, it's about control.
    Not that i am a big advocate of lockdowns, but if you are not going to have one, then you need to plan for the ramifications of it. Bigger ramifications if it is allowed that our rights to be trampled over.

Freedom? like everything in life worth having, it comes at a cost. That cost is personal responsibility for your own health and safety which cannot be dictated by anyone but you. To allow someone to dictate to you what is good for you is called Tyranny.

Here's hoping you guys get through it. We shall, and so will everyone else. Just a matter of how much of your freedom you gave up for safety.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  16. emkeane

emkeane Member

It’s a HARD job sometimes, but it gets better once I get into the SCHWING of it. I do’t deal with THE JUNK everyday, but the days can be LONG AND HARD.

Shaver X, Ursa, BigD and 1 other person like this.
  17. emkeane

emkeane Member

This pandemic is very strange. People are losing their minds. It is like an episode of the twilight zone.

The virus works independently of how people feel about it. People have these superstitions and miss perceptions of who gets it and why. Many people have an underlying believe that there is some moral issue and that only “other people“ will get sick with a virus. Some days 80 to 90% of what I see coming into the emergency department is coronavirus. Sometimes it’s only one or two patients.

A lot of this is an incidental finding in a routine investigation. An example is someone comes in for trauma, gets a chest tubes, and the CT of the chest shows coronavirus everywhere. A closer look at the patient reveals they are sick with COVID-19. I can’t tell you how many time something like that happens. More people are asymptomatic, but able to spread this.

Approximately a week later the number of patients who will test positive, or you know they have it even though they test negative because the test is so unreliable, goes way up. It won’t kill everyone, but people have this belief that it just won’t be them. They also believe it won’t be somebody in their family, on their block, but it will be somebody else they don’t know.

If we could test everyone we could reopen the country.

Sara-s, Ursa, joamo and 1 other person like this.
  18. DaltonGang

Testing everyone isn't a sound theory. One day they are negative, a few days later they are positive. It would require everyone to be tested, on the same day, with a rapid result test. Good luck with that. 327,170,000 people, in one day??? Impossible. Then quarantine those that test positive?? Can't do it. Not to mention those that test negative, but really have the virus, that hasn't replicated itself inside the host enough to give a positive reading. There is a quote from this clip that is being realized by many people, in many countries.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    Frijolero likes this.
  19. emkeane

emkeane Member

I kept my response simple as I did not want to get into an extended post. It does require testing everyone. The logistics and execution of testing is very challenging. It does not necessarily need to be in one day, but will systematically isolate people who test positive. People again need to be retested. There is a town in northern Italy that performed this exact procedure. New infections dropped to almost zero. This is hard to accomplish, but it will save lives and resources. The only problem is we can’t tell who has this virus unless we test or victims start to display symptoms.

This is what the United States will do after everything else has failed.

20. DaltonGang

Well, since you kept it simple, so will I, logistically speaking.
    Total Populations:
    USA- 327.17 million
    Italy- 60.36 million.
    You are talking success in testing, only a fraction of Italy's total population. Just one town there. Do you see what I getting at???