Comprehensive guide to the Gillette Aristocrat Junior razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, May 12, 2016.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    When Gillette (England) silver plated razors, they almost always mentioned in the advertising that the razor was triple silver plated.

brit likes this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Yes if it was real silver plate. Nickel silver also referred to as German silver is a type of nickel alloy that has a silver like finish. It looks like it is silver but much cheaper to do. I have other non Gillette razors that are nickel silver finished. The reflective light test does show up the difference, it is easy to spot once you've seen the test done on a piece compared to real silver plate or any piece of solid silver, sterling or what not else.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  3. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Gillette referred to the #58 as "Silver finish" or "Nickel plated"

I have a #58 and it is (imho) Nickel. A well finished and highly polished nickel mind.
    Gillette also refer to the Junior as "Silver finish". I read this to mean "Nickel Plated"

In some adverts, the term "Hand polished" is noted and i think this may be the difference you are seeing. I note that the finish on the #58 is far better than the #59 despite both being of similar ilk.

brit likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

very much so..the 58 is much brighter than my 500hd..

5. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Thanks great info as usual! Here's a side-by-side of the Aristocrat Jr and Super Speed. I got lucky and found the Jr in a lot buy - was shown in the wrong case.
    IMG_2566 (12).jpg

PLANofMAN, brit and Enrico like this.
  6. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Honestly, I am perfectly satisfied with my '47 Super Speed. However, I am sure the collar makes the AJ more "aggressive".....LOL!!

PLANofMAN, Enrico and brit like this.
  7. miciam

miciam Member

Hi,
    I have three razors which I believe are Aristocrat Jr razors. From left to right, flat back plate, with Brit. Patent 430.030, 1949, Middle one I think is 1953-1954 model with Pat. Pending mark on the diamond stamped blade tray. One on the far right I think is a 1954-55 model marked with Brit. Pat. 694093 and has a II marking on the back plate.
    I'm not sure about the one on the right. Could it be a Parat or a regular Rocket. All are Made in England have a rounded knob. They won't stand up like a few posts above. I came across all three in Canada where I live.
    New to wet shaving and loving the new found hobby and the forum. Any help confirming or identifying the razors would be greatly appreciated, especially the one on the right.
    Thanks,
    Mike

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

preidy and brit like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Left one is an Aristocrat Jr., middle one is either a Rocket or a Rocket sold to Canadians as an Aristocrat Jr., and the rightmost one is a Parat, identified by the TTO knob being the same diameter as the handle.

brit and miciam like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The one on the left was sold as an Aristocrat Jr. in England/Australia 1949/1950 and as a Rocket in Canada in 1949/50. The middle one was also sold as an Aristocrat Jr. in England/Australia and as a Rocket in Canada in 50?/51. The one on the right is called a Parat by collectors, what Gillette called it I don't know and was sold in West Germany.

edit looks like @PLANofMAN beat me to it and posted a reply while I was typing this.

brit, miciam and PLANofMAN like this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I'd also add the middle one if it had the patent numbers on the base plate wasn't sold as an Aristocrat Jr but would put it in the realm of possibility of also being sold as a British Rocket in the No54A sets in 1962 or some other numbered set. If it doesn't have the patent numbers like the one @miciam posted it then it was produced prior to 54/55 and therefor would have only been in the 2 sets mentioned above and possibly a numbered set or 3 I missed.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    brit, miciam and PLANofMAN like this.
  11. miciam

miciam Member

Thanks for the great replies it helped a lot. Time to enjoy the razors. Can't wait to try them out!
    Thanks, Mike

brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    @BBS is correct about the middle razor. That's what I get for trying to reply half asleep.

I always thought Parat razors were made in Germany and sold in France. It's been a while since I studied those, and it's entirely possible I'm wrong.

brit likes this.
  13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1958 Parat.jpg

I doubt something with German writing on the package was sold in France but with that said there could have been ones packaged differently for other markets.

brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Did some more digging. They were made in Germany and Britain. The German made versions don't have a "made in ..." stamp, only the Gillette diamond logo. The British made versions were made for export to Europe. The European (or at least French) market versions came in a yellow case. The German made razors were for the local German market.

brit likes this.
  15. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

Interesting. I´ve never seen a Parat in a yellow case (only the french Monobloc #55). Have you a picture for us?

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    And that's the razor I was thinking of. Aside from the groves in the TTO knob on the Parat, are the razors identical?

brit likes this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

the monobloc is the same architecture as the rocket hd/#58 .the parat has the 'crat jr design but the knob is the same diameter as the handle,not slightly larger like the 'crat jr.sure you know and have heard it before..:)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Then we have this guy...
    http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1956 Rocket HD French Set.jpg

So the main difference is in the neck of the razor, as the TTO knobs are the same width as the handle. Learn something new everyday. I always thought the monobloc and Parat were identical razors.

brit likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    PLANofMAN likes this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

canadian rockets.. 20200504_185954_edited.jpg

PLANofMAN likes this.