It's Cocktail Hour!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Slash McCoy, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

Old Fashioned. One cube, splash soda. Sazerac rye, both Orange and Angostura bitters. Very drinkable. IMG_20200412_220848.jpg

2. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

So your buying i take it

3. Slash McCoy

No, but Mrs. Slash is shaking and pouring Martinis this evening. In our typical over-the-top style we have both olives AND onions. Tanqueray 10 gin.
    Martini.jpg

The situational shaver and brit like this.
  4. steve207

I like the black Russian it's something my grandpa would have he is gone now but in his memory on his birthday i think I'll have one

Slash McCoy likes this.
  5. Slash McCoy

Sazeracs.jpg

The Sazerac. New Orleans' most classic cocktail.

6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I coming to your house for 'Happy Hour(s)'.

Slash McCoy likes this.
  7. Slash McCoy

Manhattan.

Manhattan.jpg

8. steve207

Old school i like

Slash McCoy likes this.
  9. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Just finished a Negroni. Would have snapped a picture of I had seen this post sooner. Next time.

Slash McCoy likes this.
  10. Slash McCoy

WhiteRussian.jpg
    White Russian. I keep telling Mrs Slash that the glass is half empty and she says that's just too bad, 4 shots of booze is enough. She is a tough bartender, that one.

11. Slash McCoy

Junk Cocktail night! We are calling this The Raspmatazz.

1oz Dark Creme de Cacao
    1oz Kahlua
    1oz Everclear
    2oz Chambord
    2oz half&half
    Shake vigorously with cracked ice, strain into old fashioned glass, garnish with cherry. Or raspberries if available.

We just kinda used our imagination on this one. It was surprisingly good.
    Raspmatazz02.jpg

12. Slash McCoy

Greyhound.jpg
    The barmaid handing me the evening cocktail, a Greyhound.

13. Slash McCoy

IMG_20200420_220246.jpg
    Bunny Giggles. Not a masculine cocktail, the Bunny Giggles is designed for amorous yachtsmen to use to put "boat bunnies" in a festive mood, free of inhibitions. IOW, to make the bunnies giggly. Doesn't taste like booze, but it has the effect. Two glasses generally does the trick. My boat bunny loves them.

14. BigMike

MaiTai Mike here with a MaiTai recipe.
    _20200420_203802.JPG juice 3 Key limes,
    1oz silver rum,
    1oz gold rum,
    1oz Black Seal rum,
    1/2oz Curaçao,
    1/2oz simple syrup,
    1 long dash Angostura bitters (not more),
    garnish liberally.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    Slash McCoy likes this.
  15. Slash McCoy

Mr. Tiki approves.

BigMike likes this.
  16. Slash McCoy

Mrs Slash says recipe not complete. No Orange Curacao, and no Orgeat. Orgeat is hard to source in less cosmopolitan environs, but it can be made easily enough.

From the web:
    "The Mai Tai is a cocktail based on rum, Curaçao liqueur, orgeat syrup, and lime juice, associated with Polynesian-style settings. Wikipedia
    Main alcohol: Rum
    Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz White rum, 1/2 oz Fresh lime juice, 1/2 oz Orange curaçao, 1/2 oz Orgeat syrup, 3/4 oz Dark rum
    Preparation: Shake all ingredients except the dark rum together in a mixer with ice. Strain into glass and float the dark rum onto the top. Garnish and serve with straw.
    Served: On the rocks; poured over ice.
    Standard garnish: Lime peel, Pineapple spear
    Drinkware: Highball glass"

Of course, the bartender is the final arbiter. And you got the rum part according to the general philosophy of the drink and of tiki drinks in general.

Mr. Tiki did approve, but I think it was just because he admires a drink with lots of alcohol in it.

BigMike likes this.
  17. Slash McCoy

Bunny Giggles recipe.

5oz Everclear
    6.75oz Soursop juice (Guanabana, in Spanish and in most of the world outside Belize and English speaking Honduras)
    40z cream
    4oz frozen orange juice concentrate
    1 large banana, peeled
    1/4oz grenadine
    enough crushed ice to double the total volume

Combine all ingredients in blender, zap it smooth. Pour in hurricane glass or beer pint. Garnish with something colorful and festive.

18. BigMike

Sorry, yes, Mrs Slash is absolutely correct, there is a half oz of Curaçao - I'll correct the post. As for the orgeat, I have found that most commercial versions are just flavored sugar water with no actual almond. I find the simple syrup is better. I will sometimes add a dash of almond extract, but I don't tend to notice it much, if at all.
    The bitters is common in some recipes and absent in others. I find a small amount is important. I like bitters quite a bit, but a MaiTai can be ruined by using too much.
    I used to float Demura rum on the top. But it's already a pretty stong drink as it is, and the float just made it too boozy, so now I just shake everything together. That said, other preparations I've had with the dark rum added at the top have been quite nice.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    Slash McCoy likes this.
  19. Slash McCoy

Beer.jpg It's the barmaid's night off. Just beer tonight, courtesy of Mr. Tiki

<oops, didn't hit "post" yesterday!

20. Slash McCoy

Rye-mopolitan.jpg
    Another cocktail invented on the spot. The Rye-mopolitan. Mrs Slash wanted a cosmo. I said no, that's a sissy drink. She said scornfully, what... rather have Rye? Or Evercle--- STOP RIGHT THERE! You had me at "Rye". It was actually quite delicious!

S Barnhardt likes this.