Anyone Else Considered "Essential", and have to go into work??

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Mar 26, 2020.

1. emkeane

emkeane Member

Start somewhere. Continue. We might not get everyone tested, but knowledge is still better than ignorance. This is why epidemiology saves lives. We know what doing nothing will do, and it’s nothing good.

Paul Turner and Sara-s like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Saw a post by a local area nurse on facebook yesterday. She and 200 other nurses just got laid off from a major Portland hospital due to lack of work.

The hospital is currently treating one covid-19 patient, and at the height of the surge, had 9 covid-19 patients. Because of the Pandemic lockdown, routine surgeries and other hospital services are not being performed. In short, the hospital is running out of money to pay it's staff.

Due to the wording in her hospital employment contract, (she is on some sort of unpaid on-call status), she is unemployed, yet ineligible for unemployment benefits.

THIS IS SHAMEFUL!

Here's the link to the video:
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3000550986671509&id=100001499110835

Frijolero, emkeane and BigD like this.
  3. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

This is happening in hospitals all over the USA.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Yep, hardly the Pandemic that was promised.

Frijolero and BigD like this.
  5. emkeane

emkeane Member

This is going on everywhere. Some of it is because people have stayed away from the hospital for fear of catching COVID-19. Problem is that the county coroner has seen a seven-fold increase this past month in all cause deaths for people found at home. These aren’t being tested. It drops volume and prevents care for people who need it.

The hospitals operate on a for profit model an reduce staff when volume drops. Madness when we can’t predict volume or acuity.

Frijolero likes this.
  6. emkeane

emkeane Member

Problem is that we don’t even know how bad it is because we don’t have data. I contributes to death rate in every category. It looks like a year’s worth of risk compressed into a week for each patient.

7. DaltonGang

Spent the day at work, and socializing with all kinds of people ready to go back to work too. Many many businesses have been destroyed, by over reacting hysterics. Our economy is essential to the physical, and mental well being of almost all Americans. Time to let everyone go back to work, if they want. If they are unwilling, well, I'm sure there are plenty of hard working Americans who would gladly fill those positions. Oh, and if you are unwilling to return to work, because of fears, well, no unemployment check. Of course exceptions should be made for those with medical issues that make them susceptible to elevated risks, when exposed .
    I think herd immunity will be the best way to deal with this virus. Kind of like a chicken pox party of my youth. But, isolate the weak, and work on immunizations for them.

8. emkeane

emkeane Member

I disagree. I believe you were mistaken and conflate a moral issue with a health issue. You have a moral judgment but the people who are not working I somehow engaging in hysteria or don’t want to work. I believe they want to stay alive.

Another problem here is that you are equating coronavirus with the herpes virus that caused chickenpox. You also assume that we will develop an immunity to the coronavirus. There is no indication that we cannot be infected again in quick succession with coronavirus. Mild cases of coronavirus produce short term immunity. This is much like Norwalk type viruses that the body develops a two-year immunity to each strain. There is no indication that someone cannot be reinfected by the same coronavirus within days or weeks of getting over an acute illness. This is the mistake of assuming herd immunity.

again, as in my initial statements, I believe testing, identifying, isolating, and ultimately having a comprehensive plan for dealing with the infection and those infected is the only way through this.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    joamo likes this.
  9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

D
    Well THAT was well organized and constructed, @BigD.

emkeane and BigD like this.
  10. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

emkeane and Paul Turner like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The headline article on the BBC seems to indicate that recovery from Covid-19 is no guarantee that a person cannot be re-infected.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-52425825
    That being said, the so-called "herd immunity," is what will eventually get us all through this. There really isn't any other viable option. Who knows when a vaccine will be an option? Certainly not in the next few months.

Edit:

"As we have now found out, liberty is not about where you can put your sexual organs but about the essential question of whether we, as a people, can make our own decisions."

John Ringo, Live Free or Die (Troy Rising, #1)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    Frijolero likes this.
  12. DaltonGang

Also, there is no proof that a person can be Re-Infected. It is all theory right now, and further testing has to be done. But, what my big point is that you cannot shut down the entire world, because of a bunch of "What-Ifs". As for the sexual organ thing, I have no idea what you are alluding to.

13. DaltonGang

14. emkeane

emkeane Member

Stay safe.

Work hard not to pass this on.

I sympathize with your sentiment, but the virus doesn’t care. It just does what a virus will do.

15. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

It is not a sign freedom, but of desperation. No work equals no pay equals no home and no food. Work from home is a bunch of bs, and the authorities waving a magic wand knew it.

It is not nuts at all, but quite rational. The threat of a $1000 fine is no longer worse than the threat of no income, both for individuals and businesses. People couldn't care less about death rates, real or imagined, when they have rent and utility bills coming due that they can't pay and can no longer afford food. Sure, a lot of panicking people bought enough food to last until Judgement Day, but there are also a lot living paycheck to paycheck. For the latter, it's not a matter of choice or being law abiding.

The lockdowns in my area were initiated by the counties, and very poorly planned. They were implemented without warning, giving people and their employers virtually no time to prepare. The result was panic and chaos, and very little else.

Like I said, it has zero to do with freedom, at least where I live. The cost of continuing the quarantine now far outweighs the cost of ending it. Many small businesses around here are on the brink of collapse, even those that are allowed to remain open.

So the quarantine has ended by the will of the people. They were all over the coast today. Thousands of $600 - $1000 fines were handed out in one city alone, but folks turned out in droves anyway. Rush hour traffic very sharply increased last week, and was near normal in some places last Friday. Well, normal for a light traffic day, at least. Broadcom, a large company, has said it is resuming operations on Monday. Looks like they have had enough, too.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  16. DaltonGang

The will and common sense, of the people, will hopefully outweigh silly politics.

Frijolero likes this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020