What do you use to shave?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by VintageSoap, Apr 19, 2020.

1. VintageSoap

VintageSoap New Member

Tell me, what do you use to shave? How often do you shave? What after shave do you use?
    ——————————————————————————————————————————————————
    Now, keep keep in mind that I'll be switching to using a straight razor and Williams Mug shaving soap soon. I'm sharing what I currently use.

What do you use to shave?
    I currently use a Schick Xtreme 3 razor to shave my face and my head. And I use Gillette shave gel.

How often do you shave?
    I typically shave once a week, but I barely shave anymore due to lack of motivation thanks to my depression.

What after shave do you use?
    I don't use any after shave at the moment, but I bought a bottle of Aqua Velva and Pinaud Clubman the other day, so I'll be using those. IDK which one to use first.

2. whaap

whaap Active Member

I use a Braun electric. Being a retired old fart I only shave every other day. I don't use any smelly stuff.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Enrico like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

My razor varies quite a bit due to number of razors I own (nearly all vintage (except for my Merkur 34C)). Though I tend to stick with Gillette Techs and Flares (British and American). Right know I'm exclusively using an Eversharp Krona, due to the quarantine.

About every other day ..... not for work, but to please SWMBO.

A variety of vintage Avon, Blue Steel (AV / Florida Water), Nivea Deep, Proraso (green), Clubman, Pinaud Citrus Musk, and one of my favorites Pinaud Special Reserve.

:eatdrink013:

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  4. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I shave every day if possible, hate stubble feel because over the years my job demanded a clean shave working in industry.
    I enjoy using almost any razor modern or especially Vintage. I used Cartridge razors for a good part of my life but hardly ever use them any more because DE or SE are better for myself.

5. Manumik

Manumik Well-Known Member

I started out with a straight razor but I settled into using shavettes.. It gives me the shave and relaxation I need every time..

6. VintageSoap

VintageSoap New Member

What are the differences between a straight razor and a shavette, in terms of performance?

7. Manumik

Manumik Well-Known Member

I don't shave with shavettes because I love them more. Its actually the opposite :D.
    IMHO shavettes don't have that soul a straight razor has. They are often just tools without the attention to details and high quality materials a real straight razor has.
    Since two years I work on a new shavette which should combine the practical aspect of a shavette with the amazing design, attention to details and high quality material of a real custom straight razor.
    Because of that I mostly use shavettes, to see what needed to be improved etc.

8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Your question is very easily answered on the “shave of the day” or “what straight razor did you use today” threads.
    I find great interest and inspiration in these threads, and the pics are awesome.
    Could one of our more techy guys or gals post a link?

9. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

I shave every 3 days or so with my arc5 shaver with a good soap or sometimes a cream and well first a hot towel some days cold depends on how hot it is and put on a pre shave oil and then lather up my soap\ cream sometimes is in a shave bowl and at times on my face and yes i use a brush too and go to work my aftershave well that too depends on if i have the matching aftershave balm if not then a balm i like oh but first i but on witch hazel and then the balm then i clean my gear clean and oil my shaver i almost forgot i tend to shave once a month in the winter then i use my norelco oneblade with a soap or cream or once a week if my hand stop shaking or twitching I'll use my safety razor or my shavette that one once a week to month or so if my hands are being nice to me.

10. RobertTaylor

RobertTaylor Member

Hi
    I shave on Friday and I used home made shave soap and us home made aftershave

steve207 likes this.
  11. VintageSoap

VintageSoap New Member

What do you use to make your shave soap and aftershave?
    Could you share the process of making both? :)

12. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I shave daily with mostly a DE razor, About once a week with an SE usually a 1912 or MMOC. My usual rotation with DE's are Weber PH, Gillette Fatboy, Slim or BB. I've used my Gillette Slim for nearly 60 years and it still looks and works great. Soaps are Tabac, Cella (kilo) Arko (bowl pressed) , Williams/Dove mix. Brushes, I like Boar or Horse hair, After Shave I make my own. Before joining the Shave Den I only used one razor, blade, brush, soap and AS. I've always enjoyed my morning shave, Always got up early enough to not hurry my shave.

steve207 and Robert1955 like this.
  13. The situational shaver

The situational shaver Well-Known Member

I shave 5 to 6 days a week,I use multiple razors, blades, brushes, soap, and aftershave.
    All depending on the season, the weather, and the humidity.
    Different shaves for different situations, hence The Situational Shaver..

14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

At home, I use a Ming Shih adjustable, that I won in a PIF. For travel, I use a long-handled Gillette Black Beauty. I use a silver-tip badger brush and the shave soap I make.
    I shave my legs & underarms 1-2 times a week.

Depending on time of year, I sometimes use an electric razor for a mid-week touch-up on my legs.