Which Shavette did you use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Bama Samurai, Feb 6, 2018.

1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

March 27

Parker SRX
    Feather (1)
    B-400 by Tom handle w/Envy White Supreme Two-band knot
    Mike's Hungarian Lavender
    Alum, Thayers WH, USB/Almond Oil, Floid Vigoroso, & Aramis EdT

SOTD_032720.jpg

2. wristwatchb

March 29

Parker SRX
    Feather (2)
    Mike's Hungarian Lavender

SOTD_032920.jpg

3. wristwatchb

March 31

Parker SRX
    Feather (1)
    Eufros Tierra Humeda (Wet Earth) soap

2020 Shavette Focus Shave # 21

Two days of growth, two-plus passes, and a DFS+ overall result. No blood or irritation, and the alum was quiet. I'll take it.

I've completed 21 shaves using a Parker SRX shavette (a fantastic tool) since February 22. The shaves have generally been DFS or better, and my confidence continues to increase. I'm working on some new maneuvers and grips, and I continue to make baby-step improvements.

SOTD_033120.jpg

esvh, Deeter and Edison Carter like this.
  4. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

Not that is matters, but I believe you have a Parker SR1. There are subtle differences between the SR1 and SRX. I have an SR1 myself as well. Great little razor.

20191024_001848_HDR~2.jpg

5. Deeter

Deeter Well-Known Member

Feather DX foldable
    Kairos lather
    Home turned synthetic brush
    Schick Proline blade
    Becker scuttle
    Witch hazel

Edison Carter and wristwatchb like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Saturday Straights' Shave
    [​IMG]

Cold Water Rinse
    Speick Shaving Cream
    Jayaruh #400
    Classic Samurai
    CWR
    Speick AS

The Speick Shaving Cream face-lathered well with Jayaruh #400 brush. Two passes and touch ups with the Classic Samurai with a Personna half blade gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse I finished off with Speick AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Deeter and Edison Carter like this.
  7. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

8. DentonMajik

DentonMajik Well-Known Member

Sorry no picture. Samurai shavette with a Derby professional blade. Not the best shave today. I used this razor a few times a couple years ago and am now coming back to it in hopes of going into using straights. Not sure if my angle was off, or just not enough skin pull but man did i get some razor burn. I always find that no matter what soap or cream I use it always dries out. Of course I go back to the puck and also add more water, but it dries out so fast. Anyone else have this same problem? We have very hard water, so I wonder of that plays a role? Do scuttles work to combat this?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Edison Carter and steve207 like this.
  9. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

Yes i have problems with soaps and cream drying out i go back to the puck or cream it doesn't matter what water I have some times i think it's because I'm really slow at shaving

Edison Carter likes this.
  10. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

May 17
    Parker SRB 20200517_091956.jpg 20200517_091956.jpg

Mike-R41, esvh, Edison Carter and 2 others like this.
  11. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

SOTD 5/18/20
    Pre
    : hot shower
    Lather: Razorock Stallion
    Razor: Vincent VT-1321
    Blade: Kai Protouch MG

These blades have been great for a quick, worry free shave. I was able to get a 2-pass BBS (with light touch-up), since the guarded blade allows me to use a bit more pressure than I would normally.

20200518_085300.jpg

12. esvh

esvh Well-Known Member

Universal shavette full blade + Treet black beauty

[​IMG]

Mike-R41 and Edison Carter like this.
  13. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I used my Feather SS with a Personna injector blade today. I've used those blades a couple times before too and they work surprisingly well. Since they're not as long as the Feather AC blades you do have to sort of pay attention to that but it's not hard. Got a really good 2-pass shave. Close and comfortable.

esvh and Edison Carter like this.
  14. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

First item I bought when I got into traditional what shaving was the classic samurai Shavette. That was a year and a half ago .. since then I only done about 30 Full-Face Shaves. I mostly use it when I have a beard to trim my cheeks And neck but want to start using it more. I really want to get the CJB Kamasori style Shavette. It’s basically a clone of the Feather I’ve but $20-$25 ! Hey if it’s cheaper and looks the same I’m going with the more affordable one!

rs_776, esvh and Edison Carter like this.
  15. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

16. feeltheburn

Shaved with my Feather SS and a Personna injector blade again today. I only use straights and shavettes occasionally but I'm starting to think the Feather SS is the ideal beginners shavette (and also pretty good for me who doesn't use them all the time). The bump makes me use a slightly higher angle than I'd use without the bump but it definitely helps keep me from digging the blade edge into my skin. Had another pretty great shave with it today.

Edison Carter and esvh like this.
  17. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

May 29 2020

Dovo Shavette 20200529_181751.jpg 20200529_181751.jpg

Mike-R41, Manumik and Edison Carter like this.
  18. feeltheburn

I got a Sedef a few days ago along with some PermaSharp half DE blades. Just got around to using them this morning. The Sedef is a bit hard to load but I finally got it done after ruining a couple blades trying. I think it's loosened up just a bit now so it's easier to get the blade in. The PermaSharp blades weren't exactly what I expected. It's been a while since I used the DE version but I remember them being a lot like 7 o'clock Yellows. These half blades though were not nearly as sharp as I remember those being. They were very smooth though. I had to do a lot of slicing and scything cuts. Still didn't end up with a super close shave but it was a comfortable one at least. I was surprised that I got no alum feedback at all after going over some places like my chin many times.

My initial impression of the Sedef is that it's a pretty good shavette. Maybe a little rough around the edges and you need to be careful loading the blades. But it works pretty well and it's cheaper than just about anything else out there.

steve207 and Edison Carter like this.
  19. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

Dovo Shavette w/ Personna shaper blade

20200618_193742.jpg

Edison Carter likes this.
  20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Tom White DE-VETTE[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Edison Carter, ischiapp and rs_776 like this.