SER Trial Pass-Around

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by xChris, May 4, 2007.

1. xChris

xChris Member

OK... I have been considering this for weeks now. I kept seeing forumites comment about wanting to try straight edge razor (SER) shaving, but having reservations about the start. As a SER shaver myself, I can understand the dilemma of justifying the upfront expensive of items that you may decide aren't for you.

Therefore, I decided to assemble some of my extra equipment into a "pass-around" kit for the TSD forumites to get their feet wet with in SER shaving. Since most of us are already accomplished DE users (having all the other stuff with which to shave with), the package will include a couple of strops (Dovo 2in. hanging w/linen + TM travel paddle strop) and a couple of razors (shave ready + sterilized). See the below photo for an example.

I have discussed this with a couple of other forumites already to guage potential response (their enthusiasm seems like this will be a fun opportunity), and they are the first two participants.

[For the TSD Moderator(s) and Benefactor(s) -- please delete this thread and notify me if this pass-around offer is against your policy.]

So how's it gonna work? Here's the rules:

• Participant agrees to pay insured shipping to them, and insured shipping back to me. (participant will be notified of cost before payment and shipment)
    • Participant agrees to post a message upon receipt and mailing of package to help track the package (and transit time between locations)
    • Participant can keep and use the equipment for 1 month after receipt to evaluate their further interest in SER shaving
    • Participant agrees to cover excessive damage to equipment (small nicks in the strop are one thing, but slicing a piece out of it, or a broken razor scale is quite another)
    • All maintenance of equipment will be handled by me after return, and prior to shipment to the next participant

If you're interested, PM me or reply in the thread. This is my first time heading up a project like this on a forum, so bear with me as adjustments to the above are [possibly] made. Payment for shipment can be made via PayPal (PM me for my PayPal address), money order, or personal check (for MO & PC, payment must clear before shipping).

Here is the list of participants so far:

1. TraderJoe
    2. Jim
    3. Sparky5693
    4. Baloosh
    5. Mottern Man
    6. Issy
    7. TOB9595
    8. Baron
    9. JayKay

Attached Files:

2. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Excellent idea!!!!!!!! I am at work at the moment but when I get to the house I will make this a sticky.

Chris, I would also suggest that the recipient post a message upon receipt and mailing of package that way it will help you track transit time between their location and yours. Also being a sticky the user can post his experiences with the razors.

For the SER noobs this is a great opportunity to explore and get the feel of the shave. Thank you for making such an opportunity available to the members of The Shave Den.

Raf

3. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

:signs107 Definately a great idea! Many thanks to you for extending this opportunity to those interested in trying the straight.

4. Jim

Jim The Goose Is Loose

Chris
    what a great Idea as well as generous with your gear and time!

I wanted to try a regular straight but did not want to start from scratch.

I would love to give it a go.

Let me know if there is anything I could give you a hand with this project.

5. xChris

xChris Member

A very good suggestion, Raf, THANKS! I am adding it to the rules list.

6. xChris

xChris Member

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the kind comments and words of encouragement!

Here is the list of participants so far:

1. TraderJoe
    2. Jim
    3. Mottern Man

7. xChris

xChris Member

Added payment methods.

Told you I wasn't used to doing this. :o :D

8. Jim

Jim The Goose Is Loose

Well- you are doing pretty Damm good!:D

9. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Chris - U DA MAN!~

PM Sent

Thanks for making this opportunity a reality :happy088

10. Will

Will Nevermind

Make sure you post your progress.

I want a time line, charts, and lessons learned on my desk NLT 15 June.

11. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Count me in, if a spot's still available.

12. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Chris, a most generous and well-designed offer. :signs107 Anybody wanting to try out straight shaving should jump all over this with both feet!!

13. xChris

xChris Member

Jason--
    You were one of the guys that I recall considering SER shaving, but couldn't remember your UserID :o . Glad you found my thread! Plenty of room, so you're on the list.

Original post updated at this time.

Current List:
    1. TraderJoe
    2. Jim
    3. Mottern Man
    4. Sparky5693
    5. Baloosh

14. xChris

xChris Member

There has been some discussion about me assuming too much risk in this venture. So, at this time, no more participants will be added to the list. Not really too much of a concern, since the wait is now at ~3 months anyway.

I have assembled two sets that will go out to Joe & Jim under the rules as stated above. I will continue to refine the pass-around rules to help those interested or curious about SER shaving, and to afford me some protection of my investment.

Rest assured, that I plan to continue this on, and will figure out a way to do it that is acceptable to the parrticipants.

15. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Chris im just Awed with your generosity about doing this.

My hat off to you Gentleman ! ::angelic004

I would advice to those who begin stropping go bloody real SLOW ! a straight is extreme sharp its not a toy Im glad I could start on a paddlestrop which made it easier to get the motion control into my system. At one point ill get a better hanging strop with linnen on the other side and even then ill get a practise strop aswell.

This will be fun watching how the participants go about.......

16. xChris

xChris Member

First two trial sets are enroute to TJ & Jim!

Good luck gentlemen. Remember to post when you receive the packages.

Feel free to post photos, reviews, and opinions in this thread. Don't forget the SOS photos too. :D

17. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Mwahahaha....resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Lather, strop, lather, shave...repeat. :D

18. xChris

xChris Member

Will,

If you've been paying attention, we can start working on what your trial set will have in it. :cool: ;)

19. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Very generous and nice offer Chris. I already have a str8 so, I'm going to bite the bullet and pick up a strop to go with it. Where were you about a month ago? :D

20. xChris

xChris Member

Sorry, I wasn't more decisive. :o I'm sure you know the usual suspects for a strop -- right!?!? Oh, and maybe the budding leather worker around here too. ;)

What razor do you have? I think you should post along here with the participants on your new experiences.