May 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 30, 2020.

?

What will you be "mixing up" in May?

1. Razors I rarely/never use

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Blades I rarely/never use

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Soaps I rarely/never use

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Brushes I rarely/never use

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. A combination of everything just thrown together like a salad!

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Who said you could suggest a salad?! We eat cookies here!!!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Gonna PIF some stuff and try to win some PIF'd stuff to replace it!

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. I miss Chris's intros with only two questions. This is just ridiculous!! Sheesh!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

May 7th
    Cooper MonoBilt
    Omega Pro/Walnut&Brass
    Soap Commander Endurance
    Thayers
    B&M Reserve Spice
    IMG_4805.jpg Not my best this morning. I was probably a little cranky anyway and then I got the lather way too airy on the puck before taking it to the face. Too much water to start on this big Omega, I suppose. I got the lather where I wanted it ('ish') but it took me awhile. Operator error, not the product. Then, during the first pass, I was finding the Rapira Swedish just not smooth enough. I could have ridden it out and got a fine shave, but just wasn't in the mood. Switched in an Astra SP I had underneath the sink and the MonoBilt returned to the smooth assassin I prefer it to be. Splashing on the excellent Reserve Spice did improve my mood.
    Have a great day all!

2. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Nice, Jason! Good call swapping out the blade. I have yet to do a mid shave blade swap but I should have on several occasions.

jtspartan, jgreenepa, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  3. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Nice shave Jason! Nice pickup on switching blades. I hate switching blades in the middle of a shave unless it really gives me a problem.

jtspartan, jgreenepa, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Hmm...seems to me if I tried that my finger would be drenched quickly.

jgreenepa, clint64, brit and 3 others like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Thanks Joe.....without that, we mighta been talkin Top Of The World.

jgreenepa, clint64, brit and 3 others like this.
  6. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

4035F502-A112-4B22-A41F-7464EC83232D.jpeg 4D66C347-1745-4F33-8D1D-A162C0E70828.jpeg
    #newtotheden. 
Kelly Hogan (Blackship Grooming) Birthday SOTD 

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: AA Gen Takahashi Tokusei

Brush: Jayruh 410 with Omega #48 Boar
Lather: Blackship Grooming Company Davy Jones

Aftershave: Libertalia 

Additional Care:

Barbero Alum Block

Thayer's Witch Hazel - Aloe Vera

A wonderful shave this morning. I love the Davy Jones scent and it’s pairing with the Libertalia splash. The vanilla notes compliment the soap nicely. I am periodically get whiff of the scent as I move about my day.

The Japanese straight, gone by Glen Mercurio, delivered a fabulously smooth shave. I know eventually I will have to take the next step in the rabbit hole by acquiring honing stones. Most like I will purchase a Gold Dollar razor to practice acquiring the skill set before moving on to my growing den collection of straights.

Have a great day gentlemen.

7. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

6528E3C2-F37A-411F-9F56-EC641A109DC8.jpeg
    SOTD THURSDAY MAY U, 2020

Ok, I admit, I’m really enjoying shaving with this Gillette Big Fellow. For today’s shave I selected Declaration Grooming Sellout Soap. It’s one of their milk steak soap bases, and really generates a wonderful, rich skin-toning lather that stays with one for the rest of the day. My grandson bought me a little Kent Synthetic brush, which was identical to one I received as a gift. I PIF’ed that brush, but did enjoy using its replacement this morning. The Kent had decent backbone, but fell a little short on water retention. Since SWMBO complained about my use of the Fine Platinum AS yesterday, I selected Chiseled Face Natural, a refreshing scent-free AS. The 6 drops of M-Bomb pumped up the Sellout sufficiently to guarantee the kind of cooling lather I enjoy.

After a cold shower, the shave began with a nice ice water rinse of both mug and dome shaving surfaces. The icy cold mentholated lather felt great felt great. The Big Fellow just feels good in the hand. Historically, the razor was developed for larger men’s hands. At 6’3” I guess I qualify. I’d loaded a Feather blade into this Old Type on steroids. It made short work of my whiskers in that first WTG pass. With continued use I've grown more confident in this razor. The wide sweet spot made whisker obliteration easier with each shave. My second ATG pass led me directly to bloodless BBS land. On that second pass, the shave strokes were shorter, but more confident. My face and dome both felt velveteen smooth, cool and clean.

RAZOR: Gillette Big Fellow (1920 vintage)
    BLADE: Feather (1)
    PREP: Iced cold water rinse
    BRUSH: Kent Infinity Synthetic
    SOAP: Declaration Grooming Sellout (Milk Steak Base)
    POSTSHAVE: Iced cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Chiseled Face Natural AS Splash. Finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum.

8. Trigger

Great birthday shave Joe!

9. Trigger

Fantastic shave Jeff! I am just 5' 7" and now I know why I look up to you! Have a nice day!

10. Trigger

Well, I have decided to look into purchasing a custom straight. I don't know if I am going to pull the trigger, but I sent an email to Chris of Shavesmith with some specs to get a quote. I will be 65 next month so ths may be a great birthday present to myself. I want to get an 8/8 or 9/8 half hollow straight razor.

11. brit

brit in a box

thank you Blair..:)..

12. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Terrific shaves and reports, Joe and Jeff!

13. brit

brit in a box

thank you Joseph,very happy..

14. brit

brit in a box

very cool Joe.:)

15. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave and pic Clint..cool bowl..

16. brit

brit in a box

thank you Clint,good morning..

17. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave and pic Jim..good morning..

18. brit

brit in a box

thank you Jim..

19. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Gary!
    Good morning..

20. brit

brit in a box

thank you Blair,good morning..

jgreenepa, clint64, b1hart and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.