DE-vise by Tom

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, May 7, 2020.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Well here it is. I forget what post it was. The TAR or my other ?

@Primotenore stated that all types of guards are basically gimmicks. That is a true statement if you think about it. If you have the right angle the guard never comes in contact with your face. So it is not a safety razor. It is a DE blade vise

So I PM’d Primo and took his challenge. I designed a guard-less razor. Trying to make the razor as minimalist as possible.

This is what I came up with. I was going to go the standard curving of the blade. This would entail a more complex design. So I decided to clamp the blade in the flat position. Then make the cap as unobtrusive as I could. I had the cap follow the angle ground on the blade.

This is a delicate razor as it has very thin dimensions. I made a stand for is as you cannot lay it down with a blade as it is exposed.

Take a look. I still need to polish it. Then send it on to Primo. I wasn’t going to shave with it before sending. I have changed my mind. I will give it a go on 5 days worth of growth. Then tomorrow polish it up.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Oh my....
    Can't wait to hear the reviews on this latest creation. Actually I'm slightly scared. But well done Tom!

what are you calling it?

Keithmax, GAW9576 and Jim99 like this.
  3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Primo DE-vise

Keithmax, TestDepth, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It's art, truly.

Keithmax, Jim99 and twhite like this.
  5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Thank you. Went for modern minimalist look. Maybe what you would get from Ikea

GAW9576, Jim99 and gorgo2 like this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Tom, that’s a beautiful looking razor! It certainly is not your typical DE.

I have not used a DE without a safety bar, but expect it would require the skill and attention similar to using a straight razor or a shavette.

I can’t wait to read the reviews.

Keithmax and wristwatchb like this.
  7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I am hoping it is a bit more intuitive for shavers not using Straights. I will soon find out. Heading in to shower and shave now.

If you never hear back. It did not go well:shocked003:

8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

My only concern with something like this is the blade corners if DE blades are like SE gem blades those corners will cut up your face leaving numerous little scratches when used without a blade guard. I'd round the edges on the blade and it should be good to go.

With that said this razor should be about the same as using a shavette.

Edison Carter, Keithmax and twhite like this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Oh no Tom!

:scared003:

richgem and twhite like this.
  10. richgem

yes, but he prefers to be called Tom. ;)

11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I’m BAAAACK.
    [​IMG]

It went really well for for the first go. As stated earlier, I had 5 days. First pass cut the growth really well. 2 Weepers is all. Second and third pass. I stretched the skin. Way better. I wish I did that first pass.

I noticed you can really play with the angle. I actually was able to get my neck in the creases really good.
    It has the sound of a Gem 1912. A tinny sound. So you can hear it shearin’ good times.

Anyhow tomorrow polish and deep clean. Then of to @Primotenore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. richgem

Congratulations on Surviving! I was curious about the SEC like sound. Glad you reported that part.

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    There was a similar one on Amazon years ago that I wanted to get, but they quit carrying it. I want that one. Send it to me. I will review it.

GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  15. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Very very cool Tom. I really like the shape of the head and the stand is awesome. Love how it holds the razor at an angle.

twhite likes this.
  16. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Interesting razor, well it definitely is not a safety razor. It is more or less a shavette on a stick. Tom the handle does not ornate were the blade edge could be after each stroke, would it be better to have two dimples or slots on the handle were the blade edge is on the same plane by feel of fingers.
    One of a kind no doubt & very visual eye candy.

Edison Carter, GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  17. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Nice.

Hey, do you think it would be stealthy enough to be invisible on TSA radar:signs002:

:transport015:

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    twhite and timabababaluka like this.
  18. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Great googly googly, that is sweet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

twhite likes this.
  19. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

My thoughts exactly when I first saw this--like the Stealth Fighters. It's a gorgeous razor! :D

twhite likes this.
  20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It used to be called the barbe bleu X or something like that. Ridiculously long and heavy handle. I shaved with it once for bragging rights and promptly tossed it in with my "razors I own but don't use" collection.

I wouldn't call it a particularly dangerous shave. If you typically ride the cap when shaving, you wouldn't even notice if the guard was gone on a razor.

You do have to be very mindful of the angle.

Edit: when I first saw the picture of Tom's newest razor, I thought he'd made a guardless slant. Now THAT would be a scary razor. ...but it was just the stand.

Last edited: May 8, 2020