May 2020 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 30, 2020.

?

What will you be "mixing up" in May?

1. Razors I rarely/never use

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Blades I rarely/never use

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Soaps I rarely/never use

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Brushes I rarely/never use

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. A combination of everything just thrown together like a salad!

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Who said you could suggest a salad?! We eat cookies here!!!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Gonna PIF some stuff and try to win some PIF'd stuff to replace it!

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. I miss Chris's intros with only two questions. This is just ridiculous!! Sheesh!

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

I was briefly tempted to try this razor, but already owning and loving the Fatip Grande - I saw little point in spending the extra. If I can get great BBS shaves from a regular OC, I clearly don't need the slant model!

9nein9, clint64, jluc and 3 others like this.
  2. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Thank you Blair!
    Very nice shave and a no nonsense review, Maestro!
    Thank you Tim! The aesthetics of the razor and having a Dovo shavette made it a natural choice for me to buy it.

9nein9, clint64, jluc and 4 others like this.
  3. Trigger

Thanks Maestro!

4. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I won't be using the butterknife razor this year as it just went in the mail to Jason @jtspartan . Hopefully he survives the shave and his wife doesn't see it .
    As for MAYhem rules .....I dont think there are any rules . Some prefer mild ...I prefer wild!

5. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

So true! You will be highly disappointed in my decision for today :happy102:

clint64, jluc, brit and 3 others like this.
  6. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Awesome James!!

clint64, jluc, brit and 3 others like this.
  7. timabababaluka

That, James, is fantastic news! Congratulations on a solid honing experience :D

8. Trigger

Very nice shave Evan! Have you decided on the grind? Full Hollow, 1/2 Hollow?

9. timabababaluka

:happy102:

10. Trigger

I can't believe this weather! We had very little snow all winter and now at this time of the year we have to have it! Ridiculous!

9nein9, Keithmax, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  11. Trigger

Thanks Clint! Hope everything checked out fine for you this morning.

9nein9, clint64, jluc and 2 others like this.
  12. Trigger

Thanks Evan! I learned that having a light touch will lessen the probability of getting a nasty cut notwithstanding my pinky episode.

9nein9, clint64, MrEE and 3 others like this.
  13. Trigger

Excellent shave and first honing job, James! Now, you will always be a straight razor shaver because you set a bevel to rework an edge which is the hallmark of maintaining a straight razor.

9nein9, Keithmax, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  14. timabababaluka

”May 8--In the Mix-it-Up-of-Mystery May”
    (Yeah, you read that right!)
    Shavette Shave #62

Gear
    • Razor: Utopia Care Shavette
    • Blade: Gillette Super Thin (1)--I couldn’t help myself; I had to try the other half of the blade today… just to see. I saw.
    • Brush: Stirling Finest Badger--I think I’m not properly applying myself
    • Soap: The Iced Triple Whammy: Glastonbury, Iced Pineapple, and Texas on Fire whipped and chilled with ice water--the scent started off every bit like I thought it would… busy! The big surprise here is that Texas on Fire took the back seat. The biggest surprise is that once the top notes settled, the scent was actually pretty enjoyable. The fougere and smokey cedar stepped up a bit. Fine by me.
    • Menthol: Stirling Frost Drops
    • AS: Aqua Velva Ice Blue (1 Frost Drop)
    • Balm: Stirling Glacial Unscented
    20200508_094332-01.jpeg

The Shave
    I’m broken and need to be fixed. Yesterday I made Jamaican Corn Meal Porridge in our InstantPot. Let me rephrase that: I failed to make Jamaican Corn Meal Porridge in our InstantPot. I’ve made it plenty of times, but for whatever reason, the porridge wouldn’t thicken. So I whipped up some oatmeal, poured the porridge into cups and told everyone it was a nice warm drink (for a 91 degree, Central Valley day). Well, I had to show that recipe who was boss, so I tried it again today. It turned out fine. If only shaving gear behaved like porridge. :rolleyes:

I have trouble blaming a bad shave on gear, so I dug the 2nd half of that Gillette Super Thin out of the bathroom trash bin, and loaded it into the Utopia Care Shavette. At first I thought maybe the blade just didn’t play nice with the Focus R21, because the WTG cheek passes were decent. I’m going to have to attribute that to the very shallow angle I’m able to get with this shavette. Everything else was just a repeat of yesterday: okay results, but unpleasant shave. Definitely a bad blade. I’ll try a different Super Thin later on in the month so Stalin King Gillette can redeem himself...

20200508_093724-01.jpeg

Okay, now my thought process for fixing my issues with the Stirling Finest Badger (fan) brush went along these lines--problem: I have a greedy brush. Solution: use more product! I was going to double the amount of soap I normally use, but thought to myself, “Why not bam it up a bam? I’ll use my normal amount of soap, but for all three of my soaps--at the same time! I’ll triple the lather!!! Muwaa-haaa-haaa-haaaaaa!” Good heavens, so much lather! I finally got it where I like it--super hydrated, slick, shiny, and yogurty with nary a bubble in it--and put so much lather on the brush that it simply couldn’t hold it all...

...and got the same results.

The brush seems to be pushing the lather around my face, but not depositing a nice even layer. Don’t know if it’s the fan style, or the knot is super dense, or I'm wielding it incorrectly, but I spend a lot of time trying to evenly coat my face with this brush. Shave fail #2 for today.

It’s not a total wash. I’m between DFS and CCS and there’s no irritation and I smell good and it’s Friday. There have been days when I couldn’t claim any of the aforementioned positive points, let alone all four at once. I’ll take it ;)

Happy Friday, folks! Be safe. :D

62 down, 38 to go!

jtspartan, 9nein9, JACarbone and 8 others like this.
  15. Trigger

Lol!

Edison Carter, jluc, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

thank you Clint,hope you have a relaxing weekend..:)

jluc, clint64, Trigger and 2 others like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

:D

18. brit

brit in a box

the king has far better blades than those..no redemption required..:D..fine shave Tim..pick one that says st.pete on it..

Keithmax, jluc, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  19. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

It really isn't that difficult. Just requires patience!

20. brit

brit in a box

thank you Joe..:)

jluc, clint64 and Trigger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.